Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #30,676 of 46,565

Really? Who knew? The L/R markers aren't on the driver capsules though, are they?

Not sure if you can see it in my pics or not (iphone pic), but the L & R indicators are above the outer grill, and also on the plug of the cable.

No worries though. I know you were just trying to be helpful, so I didn't accidentally put my headphones on backwards in a fit of excitement that could have easily segued into a moment of  "doh!"...
biggrin.gif

Now listening to the MFSL pressing of NIrvan's "In Utero". Up next will be the MFSL pressing of Beck's "Sea Change".

I couldn't decide what to play first, so I figured that I'd run through my 3 Mobile Fidelity discs in the order I bought them. LOL!

I am purposely not posting any listening impressions yet, as I want to play a wide variety of stuff through them (as well as try a few different sources) before I say too much.

I will say that I was a bit worried about build quality, as I had read some negatives in regards to the plastic construction, but they seem pretty well built to me. The clamping force is worth mentioning though, as it does apply quite a bit of pressure on my head. From reading other user comments, this seems to be tamed simply from regular usage (taking them off/on, etc), so I'm not gonna sweat it.

For now, all I want to do is enjoy the music.
L3000.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #30,677 of 46,565
Nov 28, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #30,678 of 46,565

Not sure if you can see it in my pics or not (iphone pic), but the L & R indicators are above the outer grill, and also on the plug of the cable.

No worries though. I know you were just trying to be helpful, so I didn't accidentally put my headphones on backwards in a fit of excitement that could have easily segued into a moment of  "doh!"...
biggrin.gif

Now listening to the MFSL pressing of NIrvan's "In Utero". Up next will be the MFSL pressing of Beck's "Sea Change".

I couldn't decide what to play first, so I figured that I'd run through my 3 Mobile Fidelity discs in the order I bought them. LOL!

I am purposely not posting any listening impressions yet, as I want to play a wide variety of stuff through them (as well as try a few different sources) before I say too much.

I will say that I was a bit worried about build quality, as I had read some negatives in regards to the plastic construction, but they seem pretty well built to me. The clamping force is worth mentioning though, as it does apply quite a bit of pressure on my head. From reading other user comments, this seems to be tamed simply from regular usage (taking them off/on, etc), so I'm not gonna sweat it.

L3000.gif

Don't forget the breakin rule, you must play  the worlds greatest album, (the MFSL CD of Pink Floyd's - Dark Side Of The Moon) within the first 48 hours of use for the drivers to take a correct set.
Enjoy your cans, they make a wonderful sounding match with your Stealth DC-1

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #30,679 of 46,565

It's on the Left side. Otherwise, enjoy them.
beerchug.gif

Mines also on the right, maybe yours are counterfeits Solrighal?

maybe there is a guy at the factory almost pissing himself and thinking " I'm gonna put this one on the left, they will all go crazy @headfi. "

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #30,680 of 46,565

maybe there is a guy at the factory almost pissing himself and thinking " I'm gonna put this one on the left, they will all go crazy @headfi. "

ROFLMAO

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #30,681 of 46,565
  Don't forget the breakin rule, you must play  the worlds greatest album, (the MFSL CD of Pink Floyd's - Dark Side Of The Moon) within the first 48 hours of use for the drivers to take a correct set.
Enjoy your cans, they make a wonderful sounding match with your Stealth DC-1

Thanks!

LOL, I WISH I had the MFSL pressing of Dark Side, but alas, all I have is the 20th anniversary remaster. It is, however, an EXCELLENT record and will definitely be given a spin before bed time. 
cool.gif

EDIT: Decided to go ahead and give Pink Floyd a spin now. It's been a little while since I've listened to this record. I always felt that is has such a nice soothing (almost hypnotic) feel when you just hit play at track one and let it go. Such a great record, and a great listen for the hypnotic effect alone. When I first got into this record I used to say that you can listen to it totally sober and feel like you were on something by the time the album comes to a close...LOL!

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #30,682 of 46,565

biggrin.gif

L3000.gif

Yeah I know, I was just mentioning it in case you had done exactly that: put them on the wrong way around.

Sea Change should blow you away.

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #30,683 of 46,565
  Thanks!

LOL, I WISH I had the MFSL pressing of Dark Side, but alas, all I have is the 20th anniversary remaster. It is, however, an EXCELLENT record and will definitely be given a spin before bed time. 
cool.gif

The 20th will work as a short term alternative, but you should be aware that your entire systems sound quality will benefit from a monthly injection of true medicinal value from the genuine article, the MFSL Redbook CD.  :wink:

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #30,684 of 46,565

Yeah I know, I was just mentioning it in case you had done exactly that: put them on the wrong way around.

Sea Change should blow you away.

Sea change is such a great record. I'll be honest here and say that I wasn't really a Beck fan at all until Sea Change came out. I also like Morning Phase, but the mastering job on the CD pressing (have not heard the vinyl) is absolutely atrocious! I wish that the MoFi crew could give that one a proper mastering as well.

If you haven't heard Morning Phase yet, I would highly recommend checking it out, especially since you like Sea Change. I described it to a friend of mine as Sea Change part 2. LOL! Just beware of the sound quality however, it takes beautiful music and darn near makes it un-listenable....far, far too compressed (victim of the loudness wars), and sonically a disappointment IMO. YMMV, of course.

EDIT for clarity: Content wise (as in the music), Morning Phase is GREAT, a lot like Sea Change in that respect.

The 20th will work as a short term alternative, but you should be aware that your entire systems sound quality will benefit from a monthly injection of true medicinal value from the genuine article, the MFSL Redbook CD.  :wink:

HAHHAHAHA! I am sure it would, but that disc seems pretty rare and expensive when you do run across it. If I could find a deal on one, believe me, I'd be all over it! Out of print MFSL discs are always priced at more than their weight in gold. The MFSL pressing of The Wall always seems to bring big bucks as well.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #30,685 of 46,565

HAHHAHAHA! I am sure it would, but that disc seems pretty rare and expensive when you do run across it. If I could find a deal on one, believe me, I'd be all over it! Out of print MFSL discs are always priced at more than their weight in gold. The MFSL pressing of The Wall always seems to bring big bucks as well.

LOL, Yea I had so many of the MFSL titles on both LP and CD.  I majorly cleaned up when I ripped everything to my Hard Drives and sold them off. Can't believe what some folks will pay for ancient Rice Krispies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back