Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #30,691 of 46,564
I have everything by Beck but only because I'm a completist. Like you, I only really like Sea Change and Morning Phase. MFSL do a great job with Sea Change. Pink Floyd's The Wall, on the other hand, is just as poorly produced as the original. No difference at all on my system. I only have the original Dark Side of the Moon. Anyway, Pink Floyd are so passé.

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #30,692 of 46,564
Could it be like the old guys ear-ring rule?  Left is Right and Right is Wrong.

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #30,693 of 46,564
  I have everything by Beck but only because I'm a completist. Like you, I only really like Sea Change and Morning Phase. MFSL do a great job with Sea Change. Pink Floyd's The Wall, on the other hand, is just as poorly produced as the original. No difference at all on my system. I only have the original Dark Side of the Moon. Anyway, Pink Floyd are so passé.

Pink Floyd passe,  What musical planet are you on bro?

"Pink Floyd have stolen the top spot with new album The Endless River, becoming the top selling album of 2014 in the process.
The album has shot the previous holders of the sales accolade, Coldplay's Ghost Stories and Ed Sheeran's X, with a whopping 139,000 sales since last weeks release. Not too bad for a band who haven't released a record in 20 years... "
http://www.gigwise.com/news/96107/pink-floyd-endless-river-is-the-fastest-selling-album-of-2014

David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock
The Pink Floyd guitarist leads nine top 10 debuts, a new record on the ranking.
​David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock leads a historic week on Billboard's Top Rock Albums chart (dated Oct. 10), where nine of the top 10 titles are debuts.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6714512/david-gilmour-top-rock-albums-chart

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #30,695 of 46,564

I liked Morning Phase, and just had a listen to Sea Change. Good stuff. More recommendations please!

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #30,696 of 46,564
  Pink Floyd passe,  What musical planet are you on bro?

"Pink Floyd have stolen the top spot with new album The Endless River, becoming the top selling album of 2014 in the process.
The album has shot the previous holders of the sales accolade, Coldplay's Ghost Stories and Ed Sheeran's X, with a whopping 139,000 sales since last weeks release. Not too bad for a band who haven't released a record in 20 years... "
http://www.gigwise.com/news/96107/pink-floyd-endless-river-is-the-fastest-selling-album-of-2014

David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock
The Pink Floyd guitarist leads nine top 10 debuts, a new record on the ranking.
​David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock leads a historic week on Billboard's Top Rock Albums chart (dated Oct. 10), where nine of the top 10 titles are debuts.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6714512/david-gilmour-top-rock-albums-chart

What's your point? That if it sells well it must be good?

For the record, I'm 50. Since my teens until about 8 years ago I was what some might call a stoner. I've been on a few planets, lol. I am very familiar with the music of Pink Floyd and there will always be a place in my heart for them, but if I never hear Dark Side of the Moon again it'll be too soon. I can still listen to The Wall because it's still relevant but not DSOTM. Roger Waters' solo stuff also gets fairly regular playing here because it's still on-message and still sounds superb.

The Endless River is total garbage, imo. Rattle That Lock isn't bad at all and came as something of a surprise. A good album.

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #30,697 of 46,564

I liked Morning Phase, and just had a listen to Sea Change. Good stuff. More recommendations please!

Nothing else from Beck I'm afraid, not from me anyway. I was lucky in that the first Beck album I bought was Sea Change but I got a shock when I bought the rest of his back catalogue. Not to my taste at all. If I'd bought any of those first I would never have heard Sea Change. He is talented though, no doubt about it.

If musical content and production talent are your goals I can heartily recommend Down The Way by Angus & Julia Stone. A truly superb album. IMO. Also try anything by Cowboy Junkies.

edit - Also try anything by Simon Posford. He goes under various guises: Shpongle, Celtic Cross, Younger Brother, Hallucinogen & The Infinity Project. Every single album is an aural extravaganza but my highlights would be Tales of the Inexpressible by Shpongle, Last Days of Gravity by Younger Brother & Hicksville by Celtic Cross.

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #30,698 of 46,564
Also I think Division Bell is worse than Endless River. But I love Dark Side of the Moon to death, Wish You Were Here is great too, better than link 90% of music I listen both in mastering and atmosphere. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would disagree with me, and that's okay.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #30,699 of 46,564
  I personally think Endless River was underwhelming. I'm not too sure why this year's albums are underwhelming; Linkin Park - Hunting Party, Muse - Drones, they're all underwhelming.

Agreed about Endless River or in fact everything Pink Floyd did after  the Wall 
cool.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #30,700 of 46,564

Nothing else from Beck I'm afraid, not from me anyway. I was lucky in that the first Beck album I bought was Sea Change but I got a shock when I bought the rest of his back catalogue. Not to my taste at all. If I'd bought any of those first I would never have heard Sea Change. He is talented though, no doubt about it.

If musical content and production talent are your goals I can heartily recommend Down The Way by Angus & Julia Stone. A truly superb album. IMO. Also try anything by Cowboy Junkies.

edit - Also try anything by Simon Posford. He goes under various guises: Shpongle, Celtic Cross, Younger Brother, Hallucinogen & The Infinity Project. Every single album is an aural extravaganza but my highlights would be Tales of the Inexpressible by Shpongle, Last Days of Gravity by Younger Brother & Hicksville by Celtic Cross.

Thanks! Listening to The Nomad Series by Cowby Junkies right now. Will check out the others also, and don't be afraid to give me more 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #30,701 of 46,564

Thanks! Listening to The Nomad Series by Cowby Junkies right now. Will check out the others also, and don't be afraid to give me more 
smily_headphones1.gif

I love listening to the Cowboy Junkies, with a nice warm set of tubes.  
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #30,702 of 46,564

What's your point? That if it sells well it must be good?

For the record, I'm 50. Since my teens until about 8 years ago I was what some might call a stoner. I've been on a few planets, lol. I am very familiar with the music of Pink Floyd and there will always be a place in my heart for them, but if I never hear Dark Side of the Moon again it'll be too soon. I can still listen to The Wall because it's still relevant but not DSOTM. Roger Waters' solo stuff also gets fairly regular playing here because it's still on-message and still sounds superb.

The Endless River is total garbage, imo. Rattle That Lock isn't bad at all and came as something of a surprise. A good album.

Well if they're setting sales records they sure as heck aren't passe, only your interest in them is passe.

As for DSOTM 
"Most bands would kill to sell 10,000 copies of an album in its first week of release, but Pink Floyd‘s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ still manages to move that many units each and every week — 38 years after it first was released. And that 10,000 is in a slow week."  LOL

We couldn't be on more different sides of the fence here. I haven't spun The Wall in years and consider it definitely passe. You have to be about 15 to appreciate Another Brick, if I had to listen to those kids screaming Teacher one more time my head would explode.  Only cut of real relevance today is Comfortably Numb in that it gives David Gilmour a platform for his world class guitar work. His performance of Numb on the Pulse CD/DVD has been rated one of the worlds greatest guitar solos and I highly agree.
Roger Waters has tried to build his entire post Pink musical life out of one album, his only post Pink work, Amused to Death, is pure garbage. On the other hand Gilmour, Wright, (RIP), and Mason have continued on for near 30 years both together and solo proving they are one of the greatest musical talents to ever come out of rock. Everything from Meddle to River gets play at least 3-4 times a week here (except The Wall, I get more than enough of that on Pulse) I fell asleep to Meddle just last night.  LOL
Like many, if believe you have to be a stoner or stoned to listen to Floyd you never really appreciated their music or Gilmour's guitar work. I lived in Chicago till retirement and consider myself so lucky to have attended every Chicago US stop they made.since 1970. The 1994 Division Bell concert at Soldiers Field was without equal and is immortalized in the Pulse DVD. Too bad the filming suffers from 1994 digital video.. In any case it in no way missed Waters forgettable bass playing in the least.
I find it a shame you've lost your appreciation for the Legend that is Pink Floyd's music.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #30,704 of 46,564

smily_headphones1.gif

I love listening to the Cowboy Junkies, with a nice warm set of tubes.  
smile.gif

I don't get it. I bought Trinity and Whites Off way back in the day due to all the spin on the sound quality. I do agree the sound is wonderful but the music is as equally boring as the SQ is good. Can't think of 2 albums that have gotten less play than these in the last 30 years?

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #30,705 of 46,564
Actually, Roger produced three albums, not just Amused to Death.

If you know what they're dealing with, they're very powerful. Amused to Death is about randomly switching channels on to and how things in the world are portrayed. Without knowing that, it could be a bit strange to people.

He was a bit miffed about the album's reception and felt very much that it had been underrated. My feeling is misunderstood.

Roger Waters and 'being' a pop star don't mix. He's not interested in numbers, more in the quality of work. In this respect, he's kind of like Peter Gabriel.

The Wall was recorded pretty poorly imo. Roger's version, which is live has a depth and power that is pretty amazing. That one of course is about loneliness, depression and cutting oneself off from other people. The person that the Wall is about started by losing his father and ending up being controlled as a pop star by surrounding people. In other words, slightly autobiographocal.

The studio version comes across a bit stunted by comparison, I think.

I think that Pink Floyd was better with his presence although he's a difficult bloke to work with.

For the 'off topic' whiners .....

Amused to Death sounds awesome via the hd650. :wink:

It's always amused me how threads on the internet have to be so steered, so that conversation needs to be limited in order to keep a thread 'on track'. It's almost like a court case!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back