Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #30,706 of 46,554
Well if they're setting sales records they sure as heck aren't passe, only your interest in them is passe.

As for DSOTM 
"Most bands would kill to sell 10,000 copies of an album in its first week of release, but Pink Floyd‘s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ still manages to move that many units each and every week — 38 years after it first was released. And that 10,000 is in a slow week."  LOL

We couldn't be on more different sides of the fence here. I haven't spun The Wall in years and consider it definitely passe. You have to be about 15 to appreciate Another Brick, if I had to listen to those kids screaming Teacher one more time my head would explode.  Only cut of real relevance today is Comfortably Numb in that it gives David Gilmour a platform for his world class guitar work. His performance of Numb on the Pulse CD/DVD has been rated one of the worlds greatest guitar solos and I highly agree.
Roger Waters has tried to build his entire post Pink musical life out of one album, his only post Pink work, Amused to Death, is pure garbage. On the other hand Gilmour, Wright, (RIP), and Mason have continued on for near 30 years both together and solo proving they are one of the greatest musical talents to ever come out of rock. Everything from Meddle to River gets play at least 3-4 times a week here (except The Wall, I get more than enough of that on Pulse) I fell asleep to Meddle just last night.  LOL
Like many, if believe you have to be a stoner or stoned to listen to Floyd you never really appreciated their music or Gilmour's guitar work. I lived in Chicago till retirement and consider myself so lucky to have attended every Chicago US stop they made.since 1970. The 1994 Division Bell concert at Soldiers Field was without equal and is immortalized in the Pulse DVD. Too bad the filming suffers from 1994 digital video.. In any case it in no way missed Waters forgettable bass playing in the least.
I find it a shame you've lost your appreciation for the Legend that is Pink Floyd's music.

It's all about taste. I have it, you don't.

Relax, I'm joking. I've just had enough of that era and prefer finding newer stuff that I've never heard before. Music for me is an adventure so there's little point in re-treading the same old ground.

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #30,708 of 46,554
'You just need some .. Education
redface.gif

Hey, Ian, leave those Scots alone.

LOL !

It's always amused me how threads on the internet have to be so steered, so that conversation needs to be limited in order to keep a thread 'on track'. It's almost like a court case!!

True story. But O.T.´s are cool too. :wink:

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #30,709 of 46,554

Good recomendations. If you want to find some different music as you said, maybie some electronic would be woth to check. Just a suggestion.

Thanks! Listening to The Nomad Series by Cowby Junkies right now. Will check out the others also, and don't be afraid to give me more 
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there anything like Odesza - In Return you found interesting recently?

When you have time, check the 2nd review i sent to you.  Morning Phase is one which suprised me. 

Looking forward. 

And yes, better go back to HD650.

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #30,710 of 46,554
  Good recomendations. If you want to find some different music as you said, maybie some electronic would be woth to check. Just a suggestion.

Is there anything like Odesza - In Return you found interesting recently?

When you have time, check the 2nd review i sent to you.  Morning Phase is one which suprised me. 

Looking forward. 

And yes, better go back to HD650.

I like electronic music a lot and it's what I listen to most these days. That & folky Americana stuff to chill out to. I have a fairly extensive collection of music, 7584 albums to be precise. All ripped to FLAC. Since we're moving over to France (via Spain) in the next couple of weeks I've been distributing my collection to friends &  local charity shops. I've had some strange looks, lol. But I have it all on HD's now so it makes sense to share the wealth as it were. Music makes the world go 'round. Especially when listened to on the world's best headphone..

popcorn.gif

beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #30,711 of 46,554

I like electronic music a lot and it's what I listen to most these days. That & folky Americana stuff to chill out to. I have a fairly extensive collection of music, 7584 albums to be precise. All ripped to FLAC. Since we're moving over to France (via Spain) in the next couple of weeks I've been distributing my collection to friends &  local charity shops. I've had some strange looks, lol. But I have it all on HD's now so it makes sense to share the wealth as it were. Music makes the world go 'round. Especially when listened to on the world's best headphone..

popcorn.gif

beerchug.gif

Thats alot of knowledge !  
beerchug.gif

If you want some electronic sugestions which work well with HD650, you can check my respective review on it. Made a list. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #30,712 of 46,554

:popcorn:

:beerchug:

I know nothing about it at all. :wink:

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #30,713 of 46,554
It's all about taste. I have it, you don't.

Relax, I'm joking. I've just had enough of that era and prefer finding newer stuff that I've never heard before. Music for me is an adventure so there's little point in re-treading the same old ground.

My how you flatter your self. :wink:   JK

I'm sure you have it but if not check out  The Orb-Metallic Sphere's with David Gilmour on guitar,  just  awesome.
I like finding new stuff but the talent pool seems so small. Most of what I find of interest is new music by the older artists.
Just lucky I can keep stuffing my collection with great music from that 60-90s buying the early redbook CD's for pennies off ebay.
Stuff that hasn't had all the life squashed out of it yet.
Bought Jeff Lynne's new Alone In The Universe from HDTracks. Good music but he squashed it to a DR7 with a  min of 5 and max of 8
Pitiful, I expected much more from Jeff.  :frowning2:

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #30,717 of 46,554
I keep watching this thread for fresh impressions for people new to this headphone! Gimme fuel!

I managed to avoid buying a second HD650 for use with my wood cups.

My thoughts will be coming soon. I didn't want to post anything yesterday as it was day 1 with a new toy.

As it happens, I woke up with a terrible head cold today. My ears hurt, and my whole head is congested. At first, I wasn't even going to listen to the 650s today (or anything else, for that matter), as it was causing my ears to pound even more than they already are. However, I threw on some mellow/acoustic stuff at a low volume and I am now happily listening.

I plan to post my opinions on Friday night. That way I will have had about a week with them, will have had time to try a lot of different music, and listen from the few sources I have available.

Please do not expect a professionally written review though. I am not a writing guru or anything like that, and I am not an "audiophile adjective" guy either. Just a dude who loves music and who appreciates it when the system sounds good.
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #30,718 of 46,554
  Redbook is the standard for CD quality audio (all "regular" CDs you buy are redbook). SACD, HDCD, DVD-A, SHMCD, etc all have a different standard.

Never heard about it good to know. 
  What is redbook CD's? 

I guess you missed something again, which might have been interesting for the music albums discussion. 
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #30,719 of 46,554
OK i'm trying to decide (like many before me) between the 600's and the 650's. I've had the Beyer DT 990pro's for a couple of years, and always felt the highs were too high, and fatiguing too listen too. I love the sound of my HD 25-I II's however.

For starters i'm going to be running them of my Essence XT soundcard, and maybe upgrade later. I am mostly gonna use them for gaming and music. Mostly electronic music, but I listen to a lot of different genres. 

The price difference between the two is almost negligible where I am from. The only difference being that I would have to wait a couple of days for the 650's to arrive.

Any suggestions for me? 

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #30,720 of 46,554

My thoughts will be coming soon. I didn't want to post anything yesterday as it was day 1 with a new toy.

As it happens, I woke up with a terrible head cold today. My ears hurt, and my whole head is congested. At first, I wasn't even going to listen to the 650s today (or anything else, for that matter), as it was causing my ears to pound even more than they already are. However, I threw on some mellow/acoustic stuff at a low volume and I am now happily listening.

I plan to post my opinions on Friday night. That way I will have had about a week with them, will have had time to try a lot of different music, and listen from the few sources I have available.

Please do not expect a professionally written review though. I am not a writing guru or anything like that, and I am not an "audiophile adjective" guy either. Just a dude who loves music and who appreciates it when the system sounds good.
tongue.gif

Sorry to hear you're ill but thanks goodness these type of cold aren't serious and don't last long.
Timing for your review sounds good giving yourself some time to absorb your thoughts.
Amateur reviews are the best kind, they come from the heart and you don't have any sponsorship/advertisement dollars to be concerned about. :)
Can't wait to read it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back