Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #28,651 of 46,499

As a non-believer in fancy cables, I find it interesting that two of our members here had expensive cables but found them to be of no benefit. 
cool.gif

Cardas Headphone 2m cable (bal)  ~ $130CAD on used markets like CAM, once upon a time....
redface.gif

But yes, diffs can be very small/subtle, ymmv etc.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #28,652 of 46,499
Of all the headphones I've owned only the 650's have come close to portraying this sound correctly. The vocals are clear & centred and even when the beautifully mic'ed drums kick in there's space for everything..

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #28,653 of 46,499

As a non-believer in fancy cables, I find it interesting that two of our members here had expensive cables but found them to be of no benefit. 
cool.gif

That's true but it might say more about the intrinsic qulaity of the stock cable than it does about aftermarket cables.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #28,654 of 46,499

cool.gif

Years before the sound science form and such I just kindly asked someone to explain how his thick $1,000 cable improved the SQ of his headphones. The argument quickly devolved into him berating me for saying "thick" when I should have said "wide" and how my post was the most worthless in the history of head-fi. It seems that attitude has dissipated somewhat.

For what its worth I had a head-fier make me a 100% silver cable and I could not hear any difference on either of my old DACs or my old amps.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #28,655 of 46,499
  I have both of these cans and listen to both regularly. And agree with MattTCG's assessment re the superiority of the HD-650 for home use (with a suitable amp) ... it's just so unfailingly musical and fun to listen to.

I would add that, since you're here on HeadFi, we can predict with 99.4% confidence that you have, or will have, a portfolio of headphones. A collection that will evolve over time.

And as a lover of music through head phones, you will find you NEED some high-quality headphones for those times when you are traveling and not surrounded by your entire home collection of gear. And/or will need some close-backed cans so that you don't annoy other people who are nearby, such in the next seat on an airplane. And/or will work plugged into just your smartphone or a small/cheap DAP. 

The Oppo PM-3 is a wonderful addition to the portfolio for the portable/simple role. Not the only possibility, of course, but an excellent choice.

------------
(Now listening with the PM-3s to the Cowboy Junkies, Live at the Ark, a binaural production recorded and engineered by Mark Jay for headphones. I'd forgotten how good this is. (And three times so far I've spun my head around because I heard someone directly behind me)).

I don't. I've owned many headphones but since discovering the 650's I sold all of them (except for my portable PX 100-II's) and use EQ on the rare occasion the 650 can't perform.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #28,656 of 46,499

Years before the sound science form and such I just kindly asked someone to explain how his thick $1,000 cable improved the SQ of his headphones. The argument quickly devolved into him berating me for saying "thick" when I should have said "wide" and how my post was the most worthless in the history of head-fi. It seems that attitude has dissipated somewhat.

For what its worth I had a head-fier make me a 100% silver cable and I could not hear any difference on either of my old DACs or my old amps.

I think people conflate all cables with headphone cables. Loudspeaker cables can definitely change the sonic character. Likewise interconnects, albeit to a lesser degree. My Forza cables do sound different but not by much & not in a way I appreciate.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #28,659 of 46,499
Sep 7, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #28,660 of 46,499

I found out many years ago these are arguments you'll never win.  In the end you're told that either you're equipment lacks the necessary resolution or you hearing has not been trained sufficiently in listening for fine detail.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #28,661 of 46,499

That's true but it might say more about the intrinsic qulaity of the stock cable than it does about aftermarket cables.

That is a possibility. I find that Sennheiser and Grado include a good quality cable on their phones. One good outcome of the cable wars.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #28,662 of 46,499
Sep 7, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #28,663 of 46,499
So I've traded my 650's for Skulkandy today... (naah, just a little holiday humor! 
tongue.gif
 ).

Possibly even worse is Beats, where 80% of your money goes to the brand name. I've shared this photo with my friend today and am feeling like I've accomplished some mission. The photo below shows the technical flaws with the Studio - while already quite bad in compasion to audiophile-grade headphones, I have to admit it's sure a lot better than Solo, which could be the polar opposite of the HD 650.

http://images.wikia.com/4chanmusic/images/0/07/Headphones_(Beats_By_Dre).png

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #28,664 of 46,499
First of all, sorry for my english, is very limited.

Helped by this thread an others, i've learned about the new and old version, the great scaling and to many other things, so i took the big step, sold my headphones (Senn HD 558) and bought this. I got them really cheap (like 250 USD where i live) being open box.

When i get home, i plugged into my Xonar STX, set to 300-600 ohm, now it's time to play some music. I'm hungry, sleepy, thirsty, but i can't get this headphones out of my head, they are just awesome !!

I have to thank you all, i read like 300-400 pages skiping things, trying to learn something new. So many people that put some of his time here, helping others, a big thanks to them.

Being so new i can't place a picture here so, next time :D

Cheers !

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #28,665 of 46,499
  First of all, sorry for my english, is very limited.

Helped by this thread an others, i've learned about the new and old version, the great scaling and to many other things, so i took the big step, sold my headphones (Senn HD 558) and bought this. I got them really cheap (like 250 USD where i live) being open box.

When i get home, i plugged into my Xonar STX, set to 300-600 ohm, now it's time to play some music. I'm hungry, sleepy, thirsty, but i can't get this headphones out of my head, they are just awesome !!

I have to thank you all, i read like 300-400 pages skiping things, trying to learn something new. So many people that put some of his time here, helping others, a big thanks to them.

Being so new i can't place a picture here so, next time :D

Cheers !

Enjoy your  650!  Live Long and Listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back