Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #28,621 of 46,499
  I finally realized after listening to so many different headphones, $100 pairs to $5000 i still realized that, i still love my sennheiser hd650s. i have never heard another headphone that can produce detailed but heavy bass like the sennheiser hd650s. Even though the sound is a little laid back, i still love them. i tried the grado sr325is and i just didnt like the sound, it was sort of muffled, there was (to me) hardly any detail. all i have to say is I LOVE MY 650s! No one can take them away from me!
rating:
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

now tell about your experiences =).

Try the sr325is with the Cypher Labs stack or with the Pico power amp.  I have both headphones and think they both are very involving when amped correctly. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #28,622 of 46,499
Man, this place moves fast!

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #28,623 of 46,499
How many of you are still using the stock cable of the HD650? How are the experiences with aftermarket cables for the 650 in terms of sound improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #28,624 of 46,499
I use the stock cable with one of my hd650s. I hear no difference with the others which don't have stock cables.

The Senn cable isn't too shabby really; even the one that comes with the hd600 seems ok to me with its dual plug.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #28,627 of 46,499

Without a doubt the most influential rock CD of the 1990s

1990s maybe, Pink Floyd TOTALLY RULES rock.

Best sounding release of Nevermind for evaluation use?

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #28,628 of 46,499
Quote:

David - did you get enough time with either yet to form a preference?

Hi Damian, I've spent 3 days so far at my friends house and have used the  Audio GD Master 7 and Eddie Current Balancing Act and directly compared them with a BH Crack (borrowed from his daughter) and UD-501 (sub for my UD-301) for the HD-650 and HD-800, I really prefer the Master 7 and EC Balancing Act over the BH Crack and UD-501, the sound is just more dynamic, highs are slightly more extended and on the HD-800 much smoother, bass on the HD-800 is really nice and full while the bass on the HD-650 is slightly tighter and better defined, for both the soundstage is also a little wider and more evenly spaced around you. 
I'll put it this way, the BH Crack & UD-501 is like a Opus 1 (really good) while the Master 7 & ECBA is that 1960 Chateau Lafite Rothschild (about as good as it gets), just more refined with more body and character.

Now would I spend that much for an amp and DAC is another story, its way up there in diminishing returns IMO, I'd rather get another headphone or two like the SR-009 and SRM-007, love the electrostatic sound, the Ether or SR-507/SRM-007 also sound really nice and different from what I have.  For me its not about "upgrading" but finding a different sound.

Funny thing is I like the sound signature of the HE-560 better than the HE-1000, just sounds more dynamic.  The HE-1000 goes lower but sounds a little stuffed up (best description I can think of atm).

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #28,629 of 46,499
  1990s maybe, Pink Floyd TOTALLY RULES rock.

I ripped the original 1991 CD to FLAC. The 2013 In Utero remaster by Steve Albini is great. I need to check out the nevermind remaster but I haven't.

EDIT: I never checked out the remaster because it was supposedly too loud https://jgtwo.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/the-guy-who-remastered-nevermind-doesnt-care-if-you-think-its-too-loud/

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #28,630 of 46,499

I ripped the original 1991 CD to FLAC. The 2013 In Utero remaster by Steve Albini is great. I need to check out the nevermind remaster but I haven't.

EDIT: I never checked out the remaster because it was supposedly too loud https://jgtwo.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/the-guy-who-remastered-nevermind-doesnt-care-if-you-think-its-too-loud/

Some tracks are modified in the In Utero remaster although they do sound great. I prefer the original at times just because of that so I got the super deluxe from HDTracks.

The remaster of Nevermind sounds pretty good too. I'm just happy I have a 24/96 file of it although bit rate may not mean much. It's part psychological let's say.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #28,631 of 46,499

Nevermind is my favorite record of all time. I have several different versions of it. I had listened to the original 1991 DGC disc of it since its release, and it's totally fine sounding, but IMO the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab version is superior in every way. Not going to get into a detailed track breakdown/description, but upon hearing the MFSL disc, I wished I had picked it up years before i did (especially before it went OOP). It's a bit more expensive to track down, but WELL worth it IMO.

I agree with Svperstar in that the remaster is HORRID and mastered too loud (like most all modern discs), and suggest you avoid it at all costs, especially if you aren't familiar with the original 1991 release.

The ORG vinyl pressing that was mastered by Bernie Grundman is also fantastic!!! It (IMO) is even superior to the CD mfsl release. I have not heard the mfsl vinyl release, so I cannot compare those two pressings.

In short, if you want CD, get the Mobile Fidelity disc. If you find it too cost prohibitive, the 1991 DGC release will treat you pretty well. It can probably be found very easily/cheaply at used CD stores or Amazon.

My favorite test track from that disc is "Something in the Way". The cello is so sad and mournful sounding, and if played back on quality gear, you can hear/feel the sad and scared emotion delivered in a young Kurt Cobain's voice. He was probably only 23-24 years old when this was recorded.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #28,632 of 46,499
  Nevermind is my favorite record of all time. I have several different versions of it. I had listened to the original 1991 DGC disc of it since its release, and it's totally fine sounding, but IMO the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab version is superior in every way. Not going to get into a detailed track breakdown/description, but upon hearing the MFSL disc, I wished I had picked it up years before i did (especially before it went OOP). It's a bit more expensive to track down, but WELL worth it IMO.

I agree with Svperstar in that the remaster is HORRID and mastered too loud (like most all modern discs), and suggest you avoid it at all costs, especially if you aren't familiar with the original 1991 release.

The ORG vinyl pressing that was mastered by Bernie Grundman is also fantastic!!! It (IMO) is even superior to the CD mfsl release. I have not heard the mfsl vinyl release, so I cannot compare those two pressings.

In short, if you want CD, get the Mobile Fidelity disc. If you find it too cost prohibitive, the 1991 DGC release will treat you pretty well. It can probably be found very easily/cheaply at used CD stores or Amazon.

My favorite test track from that disc is "Something in the Way". The cello is so sad and mournful sounding, and if played back on quality gear, you can hear/feel the sad and scared emotion delivered in a young Kurt Cobain's voice. He was probably only 23-24 years old when this was recorded.

Nirvana is one of my favourite bands so I'll have to get this... somehow.
Is it okay to rip it using a laptop?

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #28,633 of 46,499
Man....I go to bed, wake up and I am 6 or 7 pages behind.....now I see why  

Carry on  
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #28,634 of 46,499
How many of you are still using the stock cable of the HD650? How are the experiences with aftermarket cables for the 650 in terms of sound improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock is fine. I compared it to a used Cardas Headphone cable in balanced, and the Cardas beats the stock, but everything else was not night & day difference. Driven by BHA-1, which is a game-changer imo. But if one is not OCD about small diffs, the stock SE is a good cable to have with 650.
(Heck, I still use stock SE on my HE560)

Nirvana is one of my favourite bands so I'll have to get this... somehow.
Is it okay to rip it using a laptop?

For CD ripping, to lossless formats, it's the software that matters, not the CD drive hardware inside the computer/laptop. Should be fine. Just don't mass distribute the files (copyright ethics)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back