Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #28,606 of 46,499
  I would say that some over hype headphone amps but after hearing a HD-650 driven by an Audio GD Master 7 and Eddie Current Balancing Act I would have to say that some of the hype is justified.  I have a BH Crack which many would consider a fairly good amp for the HD-650 but after hearing them with my friends system its going to be hard going back to the BH Crack.

Also may want to try a MDR-1A.  For me I like the Momentum on-ear, the fabric does not get as hot.

David - did you get enough time with either yet to form a preference?

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #28,607 of 46,499
Is there any difference in sound quality between the 1.0 and 2.0? If so, what kind of difference?

Haven't heard both, I own the 1.0.
Some have said there's a slight difference, do a search on them here.
I believe they use the same drivers with the main difference being the 2.0 fold for a smaller portable package and the earcups are larger, folks with large ears complained their ears didn't fit inside the cups. I have average ears and my 1.0s fit me fine.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #28,608 of 46,499
They'll sound fine from a Macbook. Not good for use in public.

Don't get sucked into the hype over headphone amps. A lot of the hype you'll see here on head-fi, imo, is at least as much gadget fetish as it is about sound.Get the headphones you like first, then determine whether you need an amp. When deciding, be sure to level match (the volume) as well as your circumstances allow for a fair comparison.

Thanks! I'll make sure to try them without an amp in the beginning so I can see how well they sound. I believe you are the first person I've seen say that an amp may not be necessary with phones such as the hd650's. After doing some research online, I've only seen information regarding "necessary" use of an amp with models such as this one amongst other models.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #28,612 of 46,499
Haven't heard both, I own the 1.0.
Some have said there's a slight difference, do a search on them here.
I believe they use the same drivers with the main difference being the 2.0 fold for a smaller portable package and the earcups are larger, folks with large ears complained their ears didn't fit inside the cups. I have average ears and my 1.0s fit me fine.

This makes sense. I'll look into it and see which one works best for me. Thanks a lot!

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #28,613 of 46,499
Thanks! I'll make sure to try them without an amp in the beginning so I can see how well they sound. I believe you are the first person I've seen say that an amp may not be necessary with phones such as the hd650's. After doing some research online, I've only seen information regarding "necessary" use of an amp with models such as this one amongst other models.

It's difficult to say for sure without knowing what your driving them with and how loud you desire them to play.
The 650 and a 300 ohm impedance and Momentum a 16 ohm impedance, for sure there is considerable difference in volume with  X  amount of power input. The Momentums where designed for use with portable units likes phones,ipads, etc. Read the Sennheiser site on applications.
The Momentums are awesome sounding phones but the 650s are better, your call

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #28,614 of 46,499
:) Matt, I also enjoy the presentation of the HTC phone I have, the M8. I use it for travelling with Bose headphones. I'm not convinced it has enough voltage swing for the 650's, but it sounds very nice for a phone.

Damian, did you get the BHM kit? Pretty sure there is a 10% off sale this weekend on BH gear.

And I agree, Cowboy Junkies are pretty epic.

I deleted this post about the 580's and scaling, no point.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #28,615 of 46,499

Dude you have been here since 2013. I have since 2004. I have probably heard a lot more gear then you have.

People even preferring the sound of the 580/600 over the 650 is something that has been argued with death for over a decade now. The 650s do not have a mystical ability to sound better with higher end gear that no other headphone has, especially not one in the same family.

Some reason I found the HD 580 and HD 650 to scale a bit better than the HD 600, maybe I heard bad examples of the HD 600, but they didn't sound quite as good. True, the HD 650 doesn't scale higher than many other headphones and I do find the HD 650 scaling ability exaggerated and like many other headphones in the same tier, their limitations come to light compared to better headphones. The HD 650 sounded the best I ever heard it on the Balancing Act and other high-end gear, but so did numerous other headphones and there are plenty of better headphones. The HD 650 is one of my favorite mid-tier headphones though as I love it's tuning.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #28,616 of 46,499
Try them on a nice amp, they are fairly even keeled... Treble is nowhere near the presentation of the 800's, but they are warm and resolve very well.

Edit: Oh sorry just caught up and read your other comments. We have different ears and tastes, but the 650's scale immensely. IMO, it is magical in comparison to other headphones. Not sure of other headphones that are as capable of the same scaling... I haven't heard the 580's myself, but have heard the 558/598's and they don't scale at all.

The 558/598 and 650 are completely different. The 650 was based off the 600 which uses the exact same drivers as the 580. You can put any part from the 580 on the 650 and vice versa.  For years the 580 was the flagship. They are basically the same headphone tho they of course are not identical. They have far more in common then different.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #28,617 of 46,499
  Some reason I found the HD 580 and HD 650 to scale a bit better than the HD 600, maybe I heard bad examples of the HD 600, but they didn't sound quite as good. True, the HD 650 doesn't scale higher than many other headphones and I do find the HD 650 scaling ability exaggerated and like many other headphones in the same tier, their limitations come to light compared to better headphones. The HD 650 sounded the best I ever heard it on the Balancing Act and other high-end gear, but so did numerous other headphones and there are plenty of better headphones. The HD 650 is one of my favorite mid-tier headphones though as I love it's tuning.

Yeah I am listening to the 650 now and I like them a lot however there is not a night and day difference compared to the 580(which makes sense since the 650 is based on the 580/600). The brightness of the 580 can be preferable in some music.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #28,618 of 46,499

I would say they give more of a euphoric presentation that everyone falls in love with, it's especially 'hypnotizing' with a decent tube amp. It presents the recording faithfully and good for mastering / listening, but not exactly in an analytical / 'plankton' detail revealing kind of way. The transducers technology / voice coil could be what allows it to refine all the way up with the big beast amps. But that's just IMO

Yeah, I don't have much experience scaling it, but there is just something about the way it presents music that is both very musical and yet, still rather honest to what the song should sound like. I don't like to use the word "color" because sometimes that can be a derogatory word on these forums when  people talk about headphones they think are weaker than others.

What is it about HD 650s?
Are they colored in a euphoric way that almost everyone falls in love with?
OR
Are they just so dang accurate and "right" that they scale to the level of any new feed.
12 years and running, they still set a standard thats hard to surpass in a complete manner.

I dunno man, I think its just something Sennheiser got lucky with. They managed to find this balance that maybe not everyone likes, but if you can dig it, it really just sticks with you

One of the keys to the staying power of the 650 simply comes down to tone. There is a natural reproduction of voices and instruments that is really hard to find in other headphones unless you plan to spend exponentially more cash. 

If you play an instrument and been around other musicians, you can not help but listen for tone...it's second nature. The 650 never disappoints me in that regard. 

I feel it does that for voices definitely. Sometimes I wish it was a bit brighter for perceived detail reasons. However, the way it presents a good alto or even tenor is something really special.

That's a perfect description of the HD-650.

My *only* complaint: the clamping effect on my head. It never really bothered me, until I spent time with the HD-700 and then the physical comfort difference was obvious. I know I could probably bend the metal out a bit, but I've always worried that the firm clamping is a required part of the design.

I've never had the clamping issue actually, but I have a really big head haha

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #28,619 of 46,499
Sep 7, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #28,620 of 46,499
smily_headphones1.gif
Matt, I also enjoy the presentation of the HTC phone I have, the M8. I use it for travelling with Bose headphones. I'm not convinced it has enough voltage swing for the 650's, but it sounds very nice for a phone.

Damian, did you get the BHM kit? Pretty sure there is a 10% off sale this weekend on BH gear.

And I agree, Cowboy Junkies are pretty epic.

I deleted this post about the 580's and scaling, no point.

Hi mikoss - saw that email from them and was tempted but think they'll have an even better deal coming for Black Friday in the US. Have ordered the birdseye maple I'll be using for the base of the kit though :wink:

Bet the GMB is sounding pretty sweet with the ZD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back