Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #28,681 of 46,527
This thread is not about cables. Let's move on.

The discussion in progress was on aftermarket cables specific for the HD650 headphones, not cables in general or system cables. I agree that comments like below and my responses to them have more appropriate threads. 

I use quality cables, because my system sounds better with them.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #28,682 of 46,527
  So I've traded my 650's for Skulkandy today... (naah, just a little holiday humor! 
tongue.gif
 ).

Possibly even worse is Beats, where 80% of your money goes to the brand name. I've shared this photo with my friend today and am feeling like I've accomplished some mission. The photo below shows the technical flaws with the Studio - while already quite bad in compasion to audiophile-grade headphones, I have to admit it's sure a lot better than Solo, which could be the polar opposite of the HD 650.

http://images.wikia.com/4chanmusic/images/0/07/Headphones_(Beats_By_Dre).png

I don't like this picture just because it infers that having a flat neutral response is the only way to have a good headphone. I don't believe that and I think a lot of high end audio enthusiasts wouldn't either. Now, they will say it it shouldn't be too outrageous either haha. Like the HD650's aren't flat sounding headphones by any means.

If I try different cables for my HD650, I think they will be from Norne Audio.

I heard the Cardas cable on the HD600, but it was for just a short period of time.......I was not overly impressed at the time....but I am the kind of guy that usually takes a week or two before I can give a fair opinion.

The only time I've been impressed by cables was by design. This guy at a meet had these really cool cables that felt like soft cloth or yarn. He could roll them up really quick and stuff. He said he didn't buy them for sound but for convenience. I think I want a cable like that one day!

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #28,683 of 46,527
  First of all, sorry for my english, is very limited.

Helped by this thread an others, i've learned about the new and old version, the great scaling and to many other things, so i took the big step, sold my headphones (Senn HD 558) and bought this. I got them really cheap (like 250 USD where i live) being open box.

When i get home, i plugged into my Xonar STX, set to 300-600 ohm, now it's time to play some music. I'm hungry, sleepy, thirsty, but i can't get this headphones out of my head, they are just awesome !!

I have to thank you all, i read like 300-400 pages skiping things, trying to learn something new. So many people that put some of his time here, helping others, a big thanks to them.

Being so new i can't place a picture here so, next time :D

Cheers !

They won't be reinventing the wheel any time soon and the HD 650s won't magically turn into a sows ear.  It's been critically acclaimed for 12 years now and will keep on reproducing excellent sound for many a day. Congratulations, you have many enjoyable listening nights ahead. If you hit the lotto and have a uncontrollable desire to get something else, break out at least $2k and then start demoing some other cans.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #28,684 of 46,527

I don't like this picture just because it infers that having a flat neutral response is the only way to have a good headphone. I don't believe that and I think a lot of high end audio enthusiasts wouldn't either. Now, they will say it it shouldn't be too outrageous either haha. Like the HD650's aren't flat sounding headphones by any means.

Flat measured response is not the end all path to nirvana but it is part of a package of measured goals that when put together will point to a accurate reproduction of music. Tone controls and parametric equalizers used to be included tools on all HiFi's but we have learned over the years that our goal really should be flat response. 
That's not to say there aren't times when a little EQ wouldn't improve a poor recording or system errors.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #28,685 of 46,527
  Flat measured response is not the end all path to nirvana but it is part of a package of measured goals that when put together will point to a accurate reproduction of music. Tone controls and parametric equalizers used to be included tools on all HiFi's but we have learned over the years that our goal really should be flat response
That's not to say there aren't times when a little EQ wouldn't improve a poor recording or system errors.

That may be your goal but I'm just looking for enjoyable music. If that demands judicious use of EQ then so be it. Who cares?

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #28,686 of 46,527
  Flat measured response is not the end all path to nirvana but it is part of a package of measured goals that when put together will point to a accurate reproduction of music. Tone controls and parametric equalizers used to be included tools on all HiFi's but we have learned over the years that our goal really should be flat response

My dilemma has always been, what is a flat response? Listening plenty of live concerts in many different venues, you never get anything flat but every single time totally different acoustics. Playing with EQ for every single recording would probably make me crazy. So for myself flat response always meant a line of least resistance. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #28,688 of 46,527
  Flat measured response is not the end all path to nirvana but it is part of a package of measured goals that when put together will point to a accurate reproduction of music. Tone controls and parametric equalizers used to be included tools on all HiFi's but we have learned over the years that our goal really should be flat response. 

I think its not a flat response you should have as your goal but what sounds the most enjoyable to you, also since everyone hears different what is measured as flat may not sound good to someone if they like a different sound signature that just so happens to be colored.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #28,689 of 46,527
Does this say that

1) thicker wires can prevent voltage drops but
2) voltage drops aren't a concern for headphones and headphone cables of this length, and
3) despite 2), aftermarket cables aren't a pointless endeavor?

Am I being fair to your post?

Sorry I don't really follow... Suffice it to say that the stock 650 cable sounds great :)

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #28,690 of 46,527
I think its not a flat response you should have as your goal but what sounds the most enjoyable to you, also since everyone hears different what is measured as flat may not sound good to someone if they like a different sound signature that just so happens to be colored.

100% agree, it is what makes you enjoy the music the most. Like, sure I get that a flat response should lead to a non-coloration of what the true sound of the recording, giving you the ability to get the music how you were meant to hear it....but who cares how it was meant to be heard honestly? I mean yeah, all of us as audiophiles want some level of fidelity, but after that it's up to you how you enjoy listening.

I for one enjoy not only the music for itself, but I enjoy how different headphones interpret the sound. Maybe one isn't as good as the other from a technical standpoint but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the way it presents certain music.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #28,691 of 46,527
Heck, I don't even look at FR graphs when I shop for a HP. It's whether the cans sound great to my ears with my kind of music, that ultimately counts. And the 650 does that in spades. "Neutrality" in HPs is boring (neutrality in amps is not -- for me, it's important).

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #28,692 of 46,527
  Heck, I don't even look at FR graphs when I shop for a HP. It's whether the cans sound great to my ears with my kind of music, that ultimately counts. And the 650 does that in spades. "Neutrality" in HPs is boring (neutrality in amps is not -- for me, it's important).

I used to think this too, then I discovered I was wrong
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #28,693 of 46,527
100% agree, it is what makes you enjoy the music the most. Like, sure I get that a flat response should lead to a non-coloration of what the true sound of the recording, giving you the ability to get the music how you were meant to hear it....but who cares how it was meant to be heard honestly? I mean yeah, all of us as audiophiles want some level of fidelity, but after that it's up to you how you enjoy listening.

I for one enjoy not only the music for itself, but I enjoy how different headphones interpret the sound. Maybe one isn't as good as the other from a technical standpoint but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the way it presents certain music.

If I can hear the guy in the 5th row belch, I'm happy -- my HPs have a lot of detail (transparent) and a deep soundstage. 
etysmile.gif

I think it's how diff HPs reveal the sound that matters to me, and I will be the one to interpret the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back