Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #23,131 of 46,499
  Thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware they needed such long burn-in period. However I am not sure if getting a used pair is better since I'd love to experience the change of sound with the burn-in, but I guess for 240$ I should consider myself lucky.

According to other posts on the forum you should notice the burn in effect way before 1500 hours. Thats just the ''magical sound barrier'' people keep talking about.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #23,132 of 46,499
You're getting a helluva lot of sound quality for $240.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #23,134 of 46,499
You're getting a helluva lot of sound quality for $240.

At that price you are pretty well off, I think in the price range they are one of the best and believe me I have tried a lot.

Thanks for the tips guys, I am actually about to buy it right now. the thing also excites me is that HD650 will make me able to explore the whole amp and DAC territory as well. Up to now I have only used cans like SR60, HD555 and Ultrasone HFI580 and didn't really need to use any amps. Now this is another excitement to be able to experiment with lots of amps and DACs.

According to other posts on the forum you should notice the burn in effect way before 1500 hours. Thats just the ''magical sound barrier'' people keep talking about.

Well, I will actually ask the guy I'm gonna buy from how many hours has he used. It may well below 1500 hours.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #23,136 of 46,499
Anyway, back on to the HD-650...

One of my cats chewed up the stock cable (along with my Grado cable, which I sent in for re-cabling some time back). Yes, I thought about hanging the cat with what's left of the cable, but my daughter would be unhappy.

Then, based on a recommendation from a fellow Head-Fi'er I purchased a cable from Venus Audio (which I think is a guy in Wisconsin, US, that builds and sells cables on eBay). The Venus Audio cable is fine - was inexpensive, nice build quality, looks OK. But, it has a heat-shrink sleeve on the 'phones-side that is very stiff. Whenever I move my head, the sleeve rubs against my shirt collar or a zipper on my sweater and makes fairly loud sounds within the 'phones.

My problem with the Senn stock cable is its length - I have to worry about the slack or, again, the cats start chewing on anything that dangles even if I am sitting there. I suppose I could coil up a replacement with velcro... but...I am soliciting recommendations on a 650 cable that is:

1. Short-ish (maybe 1 - 1.5 M)
2. Supple (soft cable and sleeve)
3. Reasonable build quality and looks nice (i.e. I like audiophool bling)
4. Not more expensive than the headphones themselves... 
wink.gif

Thanks, in advance.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #23,137 of 46,499

One of my cats chewed up the stock cable (along with my Grado cable, which I sent in for re-cabling some time back). Yes, I thought about hanging the cat with what's left of the cable, but my daughter would be unhappy.

Then, based on a recommendation from a fellow Head-Fi'er I purchased a cable from Venus Audio (which I think is a guy in Wisconsin, US, that builds and sells cables on eBay). The Venus Audio cable is fine - was inexpensive, nice build quality, looks OK. But, it has a heat-shrink sleeve on the 'phones-side that is very stiff. Whenever I move my head, the sleeve rubs against my shirt collar or a zipper on my sweater and makes fairly loud sounds within the 'phones.

My problem with the Senn stock cable is its length - I have to worry about the slack or, again, the cats start chewing on anything that dangles even if I am sitting there. I suppose I could coil up a replacement with velcro... but...I am soliciting recommendations on a 650 cable that is:

4. Not more expensive than the headphones themselves... :wink:

Thanks, in advance.

Google for this guy: low20101020
He sold me a wonderful cable for my HD 700. The cable for the HD650 is in transit to me already. You can see it three pages back on this thread.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #23,138 of 46,499

Welcome to the club^_^.

Thats a strength IMO. Im proud of my music, and will listen to it anywhere.

If you like to be grimaced at from other members of the public, well fine. I travel on trams, and people are always stacked all around me, and i myself find it very inconsiderate and disrespectful and annoying when i can hear someones music coming from their headphones, thus i would not expect anyone to put-up with it from me, thus one more restriction on where i can freely listen to music if i owned an open-back headphone. Also, how can you listen to it anywhere when with open-back headphones any mild (not to mention normal or loud) external noise is 'much more' prevalent and actually bleeds into the listening, thus completely defeating the point of audiophile aspirations?

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #23,139 of 46,499
Krutsch I know the cable I have is cheap but it works well for me and I personally like the red, it works well with the rest of my gear.  But here is what I got from an eBay seller for not much at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD420-HD430-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphones-/281238052332?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Quote:

wink.gif

Thanks, in advance.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #23,140 of 46,499

wink.gif

Thanks, in advance.

What did we learn from this? If you have a cat, get it its own pair of headphones, so it won't destroy your cables, just to get attention. :3 =3

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #23,141 of 46,499
Well, pulled the trigger on a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball and an assortment of tubes including the Tung Sol 5998. Now for the agonizing wait lol.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #23,142 of 46,499
Well, pulled the trigger on a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball and an assortment of tubes including the Tung Sol 5998. Now for the agonizing wait lol.

The one that was on eBay? If it was, I think it also has a 7236 tube, and a bunch of others. I found the Tung Sol tubes to be powerful with very deep bass, but I prefer 6080's or 7236's.

Have fun rolling with the Senns!

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #23,143 of 46,499
If you like to be grimaced at from other members of the public, well fine. I travel on trams, and people are always stacked all around me, and i myself find it very inconsiderate and disrespectful and annoying when i can hear someones music coming from their headphones, thus i would not expect anyone to put-up with it from me, thus one more restriction on where i can freely listen to music if i owned an open-back headphone. Also, how can you listen to it anywhere when with open-back headphones any mild (not to mention normal or loud) external noise is 'much more' prevalent and actually bleeds into the listening, thus completely defeating the point of audiophile aspirations?

Guess im luckier then when it comes to busy mass transport vehicles. Im always in a very unbusy traincar. and i dont provoke either, once i notice agitation towards me, i turn down the volume inmediatly. Also, outside interference doesnt really bother me, to me atleast its all part of the expierence of being outside the house with music.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #23,144 of 46,499
  Guys, just a reminder about the topic of this thread. If you want to discuss audio mastering (which is a very interesting topic) then please either start a thread or I can split the discussion off into a new one.

Well if we can no longer discuss what I consider an important matter here...can you please "split" this discussion?

I belong to about 10 Forums where we all support each other in our mutual interests. (from AVS to Foreign Film collecting)
And what almost everyone understands what makes these Forums great ( and the Internet as a whole) is the sharing of knowledge to like minded people ( kindred spirits)...Isn't that why we're all here?
Aren't we a community?
This Digital7 guy was either caught in a lie... or worse...too selfish to share with us the name of a product that could benefit us.
As I understand this "tube emulator" is available to the public, no?
So why the secrecy?
I want to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back