Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #23,116 of 46,499

Perhaps not intentionally but this does come across as some what condescending perhaps why not simply identify the companies it is a interesting subject and I suspect many would be interested in learning more.

Yes possibly condescending, i see your point. Sorry! Anyway, i'll tell you the three out of the top four, but the one that has nailed it i wont mention because we should be allowed to have some secrets. F1 driving teams don't go telling the competition how they tune their engines if you know what i mean.

1: Softube
2: UAD
3: IK Multimedia

Generally F1 teams tell you their name if they exist. I haven't seen Ferrari or anyone else run a plain black car with no logos.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #23,117 of 46,499
Generally F1 teams tell you their name if they exist. I haven't seen Ferrari or anyone else run a plain black car with no logos.

I'm going to show my age here but there used to be a team called Shadow. The driver was Jackie Oliver and the car was all black. I had the Dinky toy. Loved that car. I even remember my mum taking me on the train to Glasgow to buy it.

There probably was a sponsor livery but if there was I must have pealed it off of my car. I was bad for doing that.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #23,118 of 46,499

Believe me, They do if they are testing and don't want their competitors to know about it. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #23,119 of 46,499
Pictures or it's not true!

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #23,121 of 46,499
Feb 26, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #23,122 of 46,499
Guys, just a reminder about the topic of this thread. If you want to discuss audio mastering (which is a very interesting topic) then please either start a thread or I can split the discussion off into a new one.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #23,123 of 46,499
Back to topic: I just received a brand new Sennheiser HD650.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #23,124 of 46,499
Hmm okay, thanks for responding. May I ask if they were like that initially and then gradually stopped squeaking? Mine swiveled smoothly until yesterday.

If you wear glasses with a lacquered frame the squeaking comes from the earpads contact with the frame. Just got the can and use them while wearing my working glasses. Here I have that effect.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #23,125 of 46,499

Congrats. The difference for me between hearing the HD650 from merely a smartphone only or a low-grade DAC/Amp compared to the C5D was truly a revelation, which also IMO qualifies as a testament to the quality of the C5D too. Very impressive headphone for the most part. Pity about the weakness of open-back design. No listening sessions on public transport, no listening sessions down the street, no listening sessions at home with family in close proximity or the TV on.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #23,126 of 46,499

Welcome to the club^_^.

Pity about the weakness of open-back design. No listening sessions on public transport, no listening sessions down the street, no listening sessions at home with family in close proximity or the TV on.

Thats a strength IMO. Im proud of my music, and will listen to it anywhere.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #23,127 of 46,499
I am at work now. A college came by to listen to the HD650. He was very impressed. He said, where is the often debated vail? These are not dark at all. He now wants to sell his Hifiman 400i. Btw. this is the second time I bought this can. Now it will stay. We run it from Ipod Classic(last gen)>LOD>FIIO E12A. Very good already. The amp has enough steam to run this can for sure.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #23,128 of 46,499
I am about to get an used HD650 (very good condition) for a cheap price (for where i live, at least). I am really excited about it, since I've been hearing about those cans but was never able to buy, since I was a broke student. Now I have the chance to finally hear how it sounds like. However, I have just realized it has been long years since those cans came out. That may be an odd question, but are they still relevant? Technology must have advanced a lot since then. Are there better or more sensible options around for the same price range? Being said that, part of me wants to buy it without giving any thought, they are almost iconic cans for me.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #23,129 of 46,499
  I am about to get an used HD650 (very good condition) for a cheap price (for where i live, at least). I am really excited about it, since I've been hearing about those cans but was never able to buy, since I was a broke student. Now I have the chance to finally hear how it sounds like. However, I have just realized it has been long years since those cans came out. That may be an odd question, but are they still relevant? Technology must have advanced a lot since then. Are there better or more sensible options around for the same price range? Being said that, part of me wants to buy it without giving any thought, they are almost iconic cans for me.

They are still very relevant. Still one of the best HP's out there, especcially for the price.
I got mine a week ago, so they aren't ''burned in'' yet fully, but I'm already in love with them. I suspect your expierence will be even better, since you have bought a used pair. And they will be burned in allot more. (supposed best results come at 1500+ hours playtime).

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #23,130 of 46,499
Thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware they needed such long burn-in period. However I am not sure if getting a used pair is better since I'd love to experience the change of sound with the burn-in, but I guess for 240$ I should consider myself lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back