Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #23,162 of 46,527
Anyway, back on to the HD-650...

One of my cats chewed up the stock cable (along with my Grado cable, which I sent in for re-cabling some time back). Yes, I thought about hanging the cat with what's left of the cable, but my daughter would be unhappy.

Then, based on a recommendation from a fellow Head-Fi'er I purchased a cable from Venus Audio (which I think is a guy in Wisconsin, US, that builds and sells cables on eBay). The Venus Audio cable is fine - was inexpensive, nice build quality, looks OK. But, it has a heat-shrink sleeve on the 'phones-side that is very stiff. Whenever I move my head, the sleeve rubs against my shirt collar or a zipper on my sweater and makes fairly loud sounds within the 'phones.

My problem with the Senn stock cable is its length - I have to worry about the slack or, again, the cats start chewing on anything that dangles even if I am sitting there. I suppose I could coil up a replacement with velcro... but...I am soliciting recommendations on a 650 cable that is:

1. Short-ish (maybe 1 - 1.5 M)
2. Supple (soft cable and sleeve)
3. Reasonable build quality and looks nice (i.e. I like audiophool bling)
4. Not more expensive than the headphones themselves... :wink:

Thanks, in advance.
i am currently selling my 5 foot moon-audio blue dragon V3 hd650 cable. If you might be interested, PM me. It's currently listed on head-Fi in the classifieds section, and not asking much for it.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #23,163 of 46,527

This Digital7 guy was either caught in a lie... or worse...too selfish to share with us the name of a product that could benefit us.
As I understand this "tube emulator" is available to the public, no?
So why the secrecy?
I want to know.

Whoa, lie is a pretty strong word...  
eek.gif
  ...not sure I would go there per se.

The fact is, some people do get their kicks withholding specific knowledge, while enthusiastically stating the importance of possessing that knowledge.  It's an I-know-something-you-don't-know-because-I'm-special kind of thing.  For those of you who've been around Head-Fi for a little while, this kind of behavior can be found in the posts of zardak, and to a lesser and benign extent, Nomax.

Wow, zardak, there's a name I haven't thought of in a long time.  He was this zealous electronic music producer from Oz (no offense Currawong) who was always boasting about the pro audio gear and stuff he used, and how he was a music producer and blah blah blah.  He made a ton of, frankly, ridiculous claims about certain headphones... basically impressions that didn't jive with, well, anyone.  I don't think I ever got around to posting it, but I actually made him an award once:

Anyway, sorry to drift off topic back there.  
smile.gif
  My point is that if Digital7 doesn't want to share secret industry knowledge, that's fine.  But then I would also submit that any comments based on that secret industry knowledge should be discounted and paid no mind.  Double-edged sword and all that.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #23,164 of 46,527
I don't know about you guys but in my house Friday night is music night...

beerchug.gif

Edit - Oops, just noticed I've linked a playlist. Not even an accurate one either, lol. Ach well, enjoy.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #23,165 of 46,527

This Digital7 guy was either caught in a lie... or worse...too selfish to share with us the name of a product that could benefit us.
As I understand this "tube emulator" is available to the public, no?
So why the secrecy?
I want to know.

Whoa, lie is a pretty strong word...  
eek.gif
  ...not sure I would go there per se.

The fact is, some people do get their kicks withholding specific knowledge, while enthusiastically stating the importance of possessing that knowledge.  It's an I-know-something-you-don't-know-because-I'm-special kind of thing.  For those of you who've been around Head-Fi for a little while, this kind of behavior can be found in the posts of zardak, and to a lesser and benign extent, Nomax.

Wow, zardak, there's a name I haven't thought of in a long time.  He was this zealous electronic music producer from Oz (no offense Currawong) who was always boasting about the pro audio gear and stuff he used, and how he was a music producer and blah blah blah.  He made a ton of, frankly, ridiculous claims about certain headphones... basically impressions that didn't jive with, well, anyone.  I don't think I ever got around to posting it, but I actually made him an award once:

Anyway, sorry to drift off topic back there.  
smile.gif
  My point is that if Digital7 doesn't want to share secret industry knowledge, that's fine.  But then I would also submit that any comments based on that secret industry knowledge should be discounted and paid no mind.  Double-edged sword and all that.

I agreed that saying he might have lied was going too far.

I also agree that he has every right to keep information to himself just as I have the right to think of him the way I do now.

I'll move on.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #23,166 of 46,527
If you wear glasses with a lacquered frame the squeaking comes from the earpads contact with the frame. Just got the can and use them while wearing my working glasses. Here I have that effect.

Thanks for your response, but no I don't wear glasses. But then again yours are brand new (mine arrived a month ago), and mine didn't begin to squeak until a couple days ago. Can I ask you if you got the black boxed version?

Something interesting that happened however, was that after the right ear cup began squeaking I looked into the design to see what could have caused. I then began to lightly stretch the headband (which many people recommended too loosen the grip on the head with these). After which the left ear cup beagan to squeak as well.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #23,167 of 46,527

I also agree that he has every right to keep information to himself just as I have the right to think of him the way I do now.

Exactly.  
smile.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #23,168 of 46,527

From the Terms of Service: http://head-fi.org/a/terms-of-service

Use only one username. Multiple profiles for the same individual are not allowed. Use of multiple profiles may result in an immediate ban.

If a second (or subsequent) profile is from a member who was banned previously for being repeatedly rude and insulting, it becomes "will" rather than "may". 

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #23,169 of 46,527
Hard to believe it but I recently discovered that the HD650 is the best bass headphone I have heard in both quantity and quality. I discovered this using the Machbass EQ setting on the Cowon P1 using an Oyaide cable. The mids and highs are the same high quality. I always thought that they were bass shy until now and I have used them for a couple of years. They blow away the JVC SZ2000 bass cannons and are several levels ahead of the IE80s. The transient highs on the bass drums, I never heard before on any system until this combination. Has anyone else tried the same combination and have the same experience?

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #23,170 of 46,527
Oh sure - talking about the 650's again.....

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #23,172 of 46,527

Use only one username. Multiple profiles for the same individual are not allowed. Use of multiple profiles may result in an immediate ban.

If a second (or subsequent) profile is from a member who was banned previously for being repeatedly rude and insulting, it becomes "will" rather than "may". 

LOL! :D

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #23,173 of 46,527
Damn! I guess I'll never know what the fault is now.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #23,174 of 46,527
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water its handbags at dawn all over again!

That fish pic reminded me of Stargazy pie and has got me feeling peckish and all of a sudden I'm curious to what the top ten favourite headfiers snacks might be whilst wearing their HD650 headphones of course?

Wow. Ill take any snack, before I even look at that. Love eating crisps, pizza, and besides these obvious ones also some more healthy things, like seeweed(suprisingly yummy), and oven baked vegetable wraps.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #23,175 of 46,527

It's a good day... Mates!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back