Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #20,071 of 46,565
Buying a Used hd650.....

check for paint chips..

check for good connection at the pins..sometimes it is bent.

check for the small round foam at the BACK of the drivers..(look thru the grill..still intact?)
some guys mod it n dug it out..it is a irreversible mod.

preferably headband n earpads are still in prime cond...else u need to factor in the $$$

================

alternative to HD650...a DT150 closed can..almost a twin..fantastic huge sound with excellent tonality.

===============

cables/amps..

after u have settled/paid $$$money on your dream amp or dac or can ...
and not planning on selling them soon...
and u are still not settled on the "right" sound..
that is when u tweak the cables..
tweak the adaptors..
use mount fuji squalene oil...
adjust the pads..stuff the pads, change the pads..
do watever u can without spending too much money to get THAT SOUND.

ok i said my piece... PEACE !!

This is the best sub CLAN in headfi.. u guys ROCK !!!

yes...change that usb cable.. opps.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #20,072 of 46,565
Well explained.. Lorspeaker.
I've found that reversing left and right cables then listening to the same music can help determine if there is any difference in L & R drivers. This way each side is being tested equally, and the only difference should be L and R channels reversing.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #20,073 of 46,565
  Hay fellas.
My HD 650's turn 4 right about.. Today. I've enjoyed them quite a bit. Only problem is, I have no idea where to go from here!
Are there any "as good" headphones for the same price with a different tone or suitability? Just wondering if I should get another pair of something to switch out with these and them.

See if you can find some pre-loved Beyerdynamic T1's and make the break from mid tier to top tier 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #20,074 of 46,565
Or you can find one that seemed faulty and repair it like I did. 

Previous owner complained the left channel died one day and wouldn't bother with it anymore. He put it up for sale for around $150. I saw the problem and googled all possible causes, negotiated for $90, and he accepted. 
Opened the left cup up and gambled with the repairs. Turns out the driver lollipop was out of place and the pins cannot touch the connectors. Popped it back into place and it runs again.

Best $90 ever.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #20,075 of 46,565
the T1 screams for tubes.... or a perfect matching ss....  its a roll of the dice to a certain extent.
i am almost in love with the T1 with certain tubes...

other times..i get kinda frustrated n start swapping pads
from can number 1 to can number 10. LOL 

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #20,076 of 46,565
  the T1 screams for tubes.... or a perfect matching ss....  its a roll of the dice to a certain extent.
i am almost in love with the T1 with certain tubes...

other times..i get kinda frustrated n start swapping pads
from can number 1 to can number 10. LOL 

Just built the Bottlehead Sex amp it pairs very well with the T1's

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #20,077 of 46,565
Hello everyone,

I received my HD650 (paid 324€) as an upgrade to my Bose IE2s and the first sound impression is good, but now I need a new DAC/Amp combo. At the moment I'm on this one http://hifi.me/DACs/ready-made-dacs/usb-dac2 and I like to upgrade to a Schiit Modi/Valhalla2 stack or do you think a Bitfrost instead of an Modi will improve the sound even more?

Regards,

Scie

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #20,078 of 46,565
  Hello everyone,

I received my HD650 (paid 324€) as an upgrade to my Bose IE2s and the first sound impression is good, but now I need a new DAC/Amp combo. At the moment I'm on this one http://hifi.me/DACs/ready-made-dacs/usb-dac2 and I like to upgrade to a Schiit Modi/Valhalla2 stack or do you think a Bitfrost instead of an Modi will improve the sound even more?

Regards,

Scie

You get people happy with the modi + magni/vali stack on the HD650's, so you can't really go wrong with any of your options.

The bifrost is upgradable and provides more input options, but as stock shouldn't provide that much of an improvement over the Modi as far as I know.

Also bare in mind that tube/hybrid amps may have a certain flavour in their sound, which varies far more than solid state ones and far more so once you touch the realm of tube rolling. Thanks to the BHC however, it's safe to say that HD650's can benefit from quality amps, regardless of whether it's ran by tubes or solid state tech.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #20,079 of 46,565
  Hello everyone,

Regards,

Scie

I would just go straight for Bifrost. It would make a nice combo/stack with Valhalla.

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #20,081 of 46,565

I wouldn't like to pay awful lot more than a pair of HD 650's. I really can't spend thousands for a pair. Was kinda balancing AKG and HiFiman in my mind.

I've been looking at those actually. The only problem seems to be the European pricing, making the headphones cost 200€ more than a pair of HD 650's. This is thanks to someone thinking €=$, which would make HE-400i cost $632 and the HD 650's cost $375.

Oh okay. Maybe AKG Q701s or the Beyerdynamic DT880--both classic midfi cans--would be more suitable. They definitely complement, rather than totally compete with, the HD-650s slightly darker, warmer, and smoother sound signature. I like having headphones with different signatures because, like having different colored glasses, I perceive the same object from a different perspective. 

The HE-400i also sounds very suitable. 

+1 I have both the Q701 and DT880 600 ohms.

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #20,082 of 46,565
My T1 is away being repaired. Have been using the HD650 a lot. I'm very glad I have it as it's a perfect companion and contrast to my other cans.

However the earpads are getting quite flat on the front side. I think this might be affecting the fit slightly. Would giving them a gentle wash with shampoo/conditioner plump them up a bit?

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #20,083 of 46,565
  My T1 is away being repaired. Have been using the HD650 a lot. I'm very glad I have it as it's a perfect companion and contrast to my other cans.

However the earpads are getting quite flat on the front side. I think this might be affecting the fit slightly. Would giving them a gentle wash with shampoo/conditioner plump them up a bit?

You can try, but if they're old you might need to get a new pair instead.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #20,085 of 46,565
I bought the HD650 around May this year I think. So they're not old by any means, but they have had a lot of use.

How strong is the clamp-pressure of your HD650s? Some have commented that the HD650s clamp pretty tightly, and you can flex them outward when you aren't wearing them, to stretch them a bit. This might improve how long the ear cushions last. Regarding any replacement parts for the HD650, check on ebay and elsewhere, for lots or more than one set. It will save you money, and you will always have spares if you need them. Just make sure they are genuine Sennheiser parts. If you have questions about replacing ear cushions / pads, there are YouTube videos how to remove and replace parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back