Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #20,056 of 46,565
Thanks for replying,what should i look for if i'll check out the headphones ?
Obviously the pads,headband...etc,is any parts on the hd650 damage easily?

he's got the original box,accessories..etc

I would just make sure the cable makes a clean connection into the ear cup.

FYI, I'm less worried about buying a used headphone, then I am of a used piece of electronics...

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #20,057 of 46,565
With due consideration to the seller, too, please. A person is not a store and I don't want someone to come to my house and start shuffling gear in and out of my system to skeptically compare & contrast stuff.

Precisely.  That's what meets are for 
wink_face.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #20,058 of 46,565
Hay fellas.
My HD 650's turn 4 right about.. Today. I've enjoyed them quite a bit. Only problem is, I have no idea where to go from here!
Are there any "as good" headphones for the same price with a different tone or suitability? Just wondering if I should get another pair of something to switch out with these and them.

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #20,059 of 46,565
  Hay fellas.
My HD 650's turn 4 right about.. Today. I've enjoyed them quite a bit. Only problem is, I have no idea where to go from here!
Are there any "as good" headphones for the same price with a different tone or suitability? Just wondering if I should get another pair of something to switch out with these and them.

I love how you've given them a birthday. What will you do for them? Birthday cake? Dip them in a glass of chardonnay? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine are also four years old, but I don't know the exact date, perhaps sometime last July. In any case, to answer your question, you might want to think about a headphone signature that would complement, rather than compete with, the HD-650. Since I do not want to start a flame-war, I'll leave the recommendations to others. 
L3000.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #20,060 of 46,565
  I love how you've given them a birthday. What will you do for them? Birthday cake? Dip them in a glass of chardonnay? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine are also four years old, but I don't know the exact date, perhaps sometime last July. In any case, to answer your question, you might want to think about a headphone signature that would complement, rather than compete with, the HD-650. Since I do not want to start a flame-war, I'll leave the recommendations to others. 
L3000.gif

Hah, I just remember because I got them a few days before my own birthday! I already bought them a gift, new ear muffs and a new headband.

Well, that is what I was thinking as well. Sadly I have no place to try any others out, since even my friends instantly got HD 650's after they tried mine.
And it wouldn't be too great to take a shot in the dark to see if I get sub-par headphones and an empty wallet!
k701smile.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #20,061 of 46,565
Well, what is your budget? You're probably going to want something that may be slightly brighter, perhaps more neutral, and a can with a relatively linear sound signature, perhaps even a planar (since the HD-650s are dynamic). It really all just depends on so many factors.  

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #20,062 of 46,565
Hay fellas.

I would check out the HE-400i, they are in the same price range, are very comfortable, have a fun, smooth sound signature.

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #20,063 of 46,565
  Well, what is your budget? You're probably going to want something that may be slightly brighter, perhaps more neutral, and a can with a relatively linear sound signature, perhaps even a planar (since the HD-650s are dynamic). It really all just depends on so many factors.  

I wouldn't like to pay awful lot more than a pair of HD 650's. I really can't spend thousands for a pair. Was kinda balancing AKG and HiFiman in my mind.

I would check out the HE-400i, they are in the same price range, are very comfortable, have a fun, smooth sound signature.

I've been looking at those actually. The only problem seems to be the European pricing, making the headphones cost 200€ more than a pair of HD 650's. This is thanks to someone thinking €=$, which would make HE-400i cost $632 and the HD 650's cost $375.

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #20,064 of 46,565
  Hay fellas.

Well Bloopsy if you haven't tried them/owned them yet, there is the senior sibling HD600.  Many audiophiles mention that they both have the same sound signature except that the HD650 has more bass but in my opinion nothing is further from the truth.  The HD600 has it's own sound signature & it's pretty damn good.  I personally prefer it to many high priced HPs I've owned & sold in the past.  The HD600 has been around for years & is still in high demand.  Many prefer it to the more expensive & junior sibling HD650 & I can see that.  I own both & just love 'em. I'm not very good at describing the sound of a HP if you want to find out more about it you can check out the reviews in the Head Gear, over ear HPs.  The HD600 is on the first page. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #20,065 of 46,565

I wouldn't like to pay awful lot more than a pair of HD 650's. I really can't spend thousands for a pair. Was kinda balancing AKG and HiFiman in my mind.

I've been looking at those actually. The only problem seems to be the European pricing, making the headphones cost 200€ more than a pair of HD 650's. This is thanks to someone thinking €=$, which would make HE-400i cost $632 and the HD 650's cost $375.

Oh okay. Maybe AKG Q701s or the Beyerdynamic DT880--both classic midfi cans--would be more suitable. They definitely complement, rather than totally compete with, the HD-650s slightly darker, warmer, and smoother sound signature. I like having headphones with different signatures because, like having different colored glasses, I perceive the same object from a different perspective. 

The HE-400i also sounds very suitable. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #20,066 of 46,565

That really bites. I would suggest MrSpeakers Mad Dog pro's but they are probably will be marked up like the HE-400i. I hope you find a good headphone to compliment your sennheiser-hd-650's.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #20,068 of 46,565
Hay fellas.

I was picturing confetti and a party hat... But seriously, the suggestion of adding the HD650's sibling, HD600, IMO.. would be too similar. Idea of DT880 is good, but I would suggest upping it a bit to the DT990s.. this should compliment the HD650..

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #20,069 of 46,565
  Hay fellas.

For the same price (actually less) I very much enjoy the Beyer DT-880s.  Sold them a while back, but kind of regret it and have often thought about picking them up again.  I think they make a great compliment to the 650's.  Very comfortable, but a bit brighter.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #20,070 of 46,565
For the same price (actually less) I very much enjoy the Beyer DT-880s.  Sold them a while back, but kind of regret it and have often thought about picking them up again.  I think they make a great compliment to the 650's.  Very comfortable, but a bit brighter.

I don't own a pair of higher impedence DT990s (yet), but heard base is slightly darker than DT880s. I'm considering buying pair of 990s to compliment my HD650s and Q701s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back