Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 2, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #17,252 of 46,499
No HD650's today. Guess I gotta wait until next Monday or Tuesday -__-

May 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #17,254 of 46,499
In case anyone is interested in cable upgrades I posted a short write-up of a relatively cheap option (particularly for us Europeans). You can find it here...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661441/forza-audioworks-the-appreciation-thread/320_20#post_10510127

May 2, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #17,255 of 46,499
In case anyone is interested in cable upgrades I posted a short write-up of a relatively cheap option (particularly for us Europeans). You can find it here...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661441/forza-audioworks-the-appreciation-thread/320_20#post_10510127

Cool.

Just noticed your ODAC is in the same colour and shape as your O2. But I have seen lots of ODACs in a much smaller silver case, which does not stack well with the O2. Not sure what happened? Is there a different version of ODAC sold in EU?

May 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #17,256 of 46,499

Sure, I'm glad you are getting one, particularly given the (IIRC) return policy... can't be disappointed either way. If by "sparkle" they mean extension, clarity, presence of treble detail, then we're fully in sync. That and midrange naturalness are what first struck me. I switched to the Fireflies and felt they were a bit foggy and relatively coarse.  

FWIW, I feel both thanked and dismissed a bit :wink: because I'm usually as good as the reviews if I give it the time (was a reviewer at times myself), and I have listened to that combo a long time. The points I made were not from "theory" but an attempt to communicate in shorthand what I heard in a way that others might get a quick feel for. I have amps that switch from ultralinear to triode and find similar changes, so I relate to that.  And I've had OTL amps (SA-4). So I appreciate the virtues but the slight limitations depending on pairing.  Hope you enjoy!  

I am sorry I made you feel dismissed.  I appreciated the time and thought you put into answering a strangers question.  Hopefully when I get mine I may be helpful to someone else.

May 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #17,257 of 46,499
May 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #17,258 of 46,499
  For those small 9 pins tubes 12au7 e80cc etc one of those magic erasers work reasonably well just push the pins in and out a half a dozens times I expect adding a little deoxit to the eraser would do an even better job of it.. I also use them for cleaning the stylus on my record player by lowering the needle on to the eraser gently.

I checked out the pick in your avatar and that carbon fiber on the amp and the headphone rack is slicker than slick.  I love it!

May 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #17,260 of 46,499
Finally i received the HD650 today, i have to say at first i wasnt overly impressed with them but after listening for quite a few hours im appreciating the sound more and more. They sound best with electronic music from what i have heard so far. They also seem to be excellent with death metal, the album Heartwork by Carcass sound tremendous on these things, although it is a well recorded album mind you.

Im still debating myself if an amp like the JDS O2 would be worth it plugged into the essence st or save a bit more and get the IfI Ican in the future, cant afford much more than that.

May 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #17,261 of 46,499

^ this ^

Cool, thanks a lot for the link.

My impression on ODAC comes from here http://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac/
So there are indeed different versions.

The O2 is open source, you could build it yourself. There are kits available for just that purpose. My pair were built by Walter at head'n'hifi. I have the ODAC XL paired with the O2 Desktop Version. Basically more connection options & mainly on the rear panel. The O2 has both RCA in's & out's.

Honestly, they sound fantastic!

May 2, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #17,262 of 46,499

Navy guy eh, speaking of Navy these where one of the most oxidized tubes i have seen, hardly surprising though given their age. Note the markings on the box
normal_smile%20.gif

thanks for sharing used to see alot of those around the shop.  I was mostly radar and radio-nav, I think I still have an old Magnetron tube around here somewhere.  Thanks for the memories...

May 3, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #17,263 of 46,499
How much better are the HD650's than the HD558's?

I'm asking because I had the HD558's, but found them to be lacking in bass and synergy. After discussing this, some people have said that the HD558 are totally different than the HD650. I know this is exaggerating, but it makes me think that the HD650 has the bass lacking the HD558 had. I mean if it extends lower and fuller, then I think the HD650's might be what I'm looking for. 

May 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #17,264 of 46,499
Wanted to say hello and officially make my first post be in this thread.

I came to this forum for reviews a couple of years ago when I need a portable on ear headphone and ended up with the VModa M-80. That kept me happy for quite some time.

But then recently I was wondering how much better things could be. I came back to the site and did a lot of research to find out how I could get into better desktop audio. After lots of research I had an idea what I wanted but was not sure if I should just order it without ever being able to listen to it. Then out of nowhere I saw an ad for Axpona in Chicago and saw that they would have a headphone special area.
I went and got to listen to some great gear. At first I was going to get a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog or if I was crazy enough an Audeze LCD2 but after I tried them I felt that they were both excellent but also just a tad too expensive and heavy for my taste. I also listened to the Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD700, and HD800 through their amps. I was floored how much of a good sound you could get out of the HD650 for the price. Since they had a show special and the $50 online rebate I pulled the trigger right then and there.

Even just listening to them straight from my MacBook they sounded great but I knew to unlock them I would have to spend some more money and get a DAC and Amplifier. So after some more research on here 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I landed on the Schiit Valhalla and Modi combo. They arrived today and even without much of a burn in my jaw hit the floor. This is some incredible Schiit!! I have a very good home system but this is just incredible. I can only imagine what this will do to my wallet in the long term. This hobby is just sucking me in big time.

Needless to say for now they will have to surgically remove the smile from my face.

Some time in the future I want to take on the Bottlehead Crack DIY but for now I am content. 

I am in heaven!!!!!

May 3, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #17,265 of 46,499
Congrats!! Good to hear how much you're enjoying the hd650. It's one of my all time favorites. 

On a related note it look like Schiit is coming out with the LYR 2 this month..
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back