Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #16,081 of 46,553
Both the 600 and 650 scale well with better amps and dacs. So it would be about the same. Remember this is the 650 appreciation thread. 
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #16,082 of 46,553
Without reading a thousand plus pages can someone expand on or deny that the "new" 650 is indeed an UPGRADE to the 600, instead of simply being DIFFERENT from the 600 as it was previously? 

From what I understand they were sufficiently different before to suit different tastes, but the NEW 650 apparently does everything the 600 does but better. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #16,083 of 46,553
The same hd650/hd600 debate pops up from time to time, and there's no right answer.

Compare the FR graphs below and pick your poison. hd650's have a little bit of mid-bass bloat (which makes them sound fuller but can also obscure details), hd600's have a mild treble peak around 2.5khz which *can* make them sound more clear. On the downside, there are a lot of instruments (e.g. violin, piano, trumpet, etc.) that play fundamental frequencies > 2.5khz - so the hd600's will actually make some treble notes (not just overtones) sound louder than they are on the recording. For me, that's a big strike against them, and I prefer hd650's to 600's (when I'm not listening to my hd800's). Oh and the paint job on the hd600's is ugly!

bf7a2b4c_graphCompare.png

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #16,086 of 46,553
Approximately how many hours to burn these phones in....or is there any burn in on these at all.

I know many people don't believe there is such a thing...but those that do ....how long.

Thanks for any help.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #16,087 of 46,553
Approximately how many hours to burn these phones in....or is there any burn in on these at all.

I know many people don't believe there is such a thing...but those that do ....how long.

Thanks for any help.

Well atleast after 100hours there might be some change in sound. That is atleast what my ears experienced :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #16,091 of 46,553
  Around 100-150 is good. 

Well atleast after 100hours there might be some change in sound. That is atleast what my ears experienced
smily_headphones1.gif

Of the headphones that I own, the HD650s benefited most from burn-in. For me, the big difference become apparent from about 80 hours onwards. What is often not said is that good amplification is important. Coming out of the M-DAC headphone socket, the HD650s have a closed-in quality. Through Gungnir/Lyr, it's a different beast. Forgiving as far as recordings are concerned - yes... but they reward decent amplification. This is good news, really. They sound good with what you have and really award upgrades. IMO

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #16,092 of 46,553

There is a veil. 
blink.gif

I'm referring to the old drivers with the black silk screen. Apparently because it was difficult to achieve consistency with the fabric's tension, they updated it with a metal mesh in 2007. The headphones pre-2007 that were made slightly off the quality control mark may or may not be those that made the "Sennheiser veil" myth.

However, some have said that it was just a colour change, because white fabric was cheaper to source. Maybe whatever material it was, just had better properties than of the black silk. Hard to say unless I get to see the updated drivers myself.

Hence is why I mentioned the "burn-in" time: if it has been playing since 2007, then most likely the veil has loosened by a margin.

Then again we could be talking about the mythical flying pig, and the Bermuda triangle teleporting planes around.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #16,093 of 46,553
  I'm referring to the old drivers with the black silk screen. Apparently because it was difficult to achieve consistency with the fabric's tension, they updated it with a metal mesh in 2007. The headphones pre-2007 that were made slightly off the quality control mark may or may not be those that made the "Sennheiser veil" myth.

However, some have said that it was just a colour change, because white fabric was cheaper to source. Maybe whatever material it was, just had better properties than of the black silk. Hard to say unless I get to see the updated drivers myself.

Hence is why I mentioned the "burn-in" time: if it has been playing since 2007, then most likely the veil has loosened by a margin.

Then again we could be talking about the mythical flying pig, and the Bermuda triangle teleporting planes around.

You're missing my dry sense of humor, that is often lost through typing instead of speaking accompanied by my hilarioius facial expressions. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #16,095 of 46,553
In all seriousness i inquired about the white vs black cloth differences and had a few people who have tried/owned both say there was no difference.   I have the black versions from ~2001 hence i asked, conclusion was its not worth changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back