Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #16,111 of 46,564
  It is going to be a great weekend
beerchug.gif

Nice gear and great music!  
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #16,112 of 46,564
I got a Joe Bonamassa live CD from Barnes & Noble as a promo a few months ago, and I regret that I hadn't listened to him much previously. It's really good, even for those like me who aren't into the genre.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #16,113 of 46,564
Yeah Joe can make a convert out of anyone. He is awesome!

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #16,114 of 46,564
I'm looking for a headphone with a seductive midrange and controlled highs.  I already have a LCD-3 and it fits the bill.  Would the HD-650 also fit the bill.  How is it different than the LCD-3?

Which is more euphonic?

The JVC DX1000 is a darker can like the LCDs and the HD650. It has a very musical bass and midrange and is euphonic like the w3000anv for example. Well worth checking out, I was surprised by it and prefer it to my LCD2 rev 2 believe it not.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #16,115 of 46,564
Question!  Right now, I'm rocking HD650's with Schiit Bifrost DAC and Schiit Lyr amp.  I'm running coax out from my asus xonar essence.  It's a great setup overall!  I upgraded from my old hd595's which died a year ago.  Coming from those, it definitely felt like I gained quite a bit of bass.  Not enough, per say, but an improvement.  I like the overall airy sound of open headphones, but the lack of bass makes me sad when I listen to electronic music.  I almost feel like my $26 monoprice headphones are better suited for it.  (dubstep is growing on me)

I still listen to classical and everything in between.  Lets say I were to "upgrade" from HD650's.  And lets also say that I'm looking for more warmth and bass.  Which direction would you guys head?  Planars?  They're open, right, and still manage to have great bass?

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #16,116 of 46,564
JVC DX1000, Fostex TH600 and Audeze LCD2 would have more bass slam than the hd650 for electronic. None would be more open or anything. The TH600 is powerful but has a midrange recede. The dx1000 is like a closed upgraded hd650. The lcd has its similarities being dark and all. Its bass is extremely well controlled and deep. If I were you I'd keep the hd650 for your other music and get a electronic centric headphone.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #16,117 of 46,564
JVC DX1000, Fostex TH600 and Audeze LCD2 would have more bass slam than the hd650 for electronic. None would be more open or anything. The TH600 is powerful but has a midrange recede. The dx1000 is like a closed upgraded hd650. The lcd has its similarities being dark and all. Its bass is extremely well controlled and deep. If I were you I'd keep the hd650 for your other music and get a electronic centric headphone.

fair enough.  I did plan on keeping the 650's for life.  they're too comfy to get rid of.

are there any headphones that are the go-to headphones for electronic music?

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #16,118 of 46,564
The denon D5000/7000, Fostex TH600, Ultrasone Signature DJ and LCD2 would be your high end electronic go to phones for heavy bass. HE400, Shure 1540, DT990 mid range.

Best to ask in basshead club because they'll have a good idea of heavier bass than the hd650 for your budget.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #16,119 of 46,564
The denon D5000/7000, Fostex TH600, Ultrasone Signature DJ and LCD2 would be your high end electronic go to phones for heavy bass. HE400, Shure 1540, DT990 mid range.

Best to ask in basshead club because they'll have a good idea of heavier bass than the hd650 for your budget.

I guess I should mention that I'm not really a basshead.  Hence my open sennys.  My last cans were the 595's which just literally have zero bass lol.  I'm not wanting a trunk full of subs kind of bass.  I just want adequate bass.  Enough to "match" the music.  My open cans just can't do that.  Even when I juice the low end with the EQ.  The 650's can "almost" put out enough for me when I boost the bass a little with the EQ, but not quite.  I'd like good music matching bass without having to touch the EQ.  It feels sacrelige to touch the EQ at all.
atsmile.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #16,121 of 46,564
  Nice gear and great music!  
beerchug.gif

Thanks man.

Anybody that really likes Joe's music should go sign up at his forums...  www.jbonamassa.com       Joe even chimes in at times, I hear.
.you get good deals thru his newsletters and such...he has an awesome store and the people there are super nice....I have just been there a week or so and it is very much worth it....I am looking for tickets and you can get them right from the site....I highly recommend it....to them whirlwind sent you
smile.gif

To keep on topic....the HD650 is sounding very nice with Joe's music....listening to "Pain And Sorrow" right now.....these cans are more than I expected.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #16,123 of 46,564

fair enough.  I did plan on keeping the 650's for life.  they're too comfy to get rid of.

are there any headphones that are the go-to headphones for electronic music?

Don't know what your budget is looking like, but I had the HE-400 for a while that I used exclusively for electronic and jazz until I got the HD 700 after the price drop. After that, the HE-400 immediately went up for sale. The HD 700 bass blows it out of the water IMO, digs deeper with more punch and also very detailed. Smooth treble without the tizz and crazy spike of the HE-400. It only just lacks the HE-400 soundstage. But the bass response, energy, detail and insane comfort more than make up for it. At $300 the HE-400 is huge bang for the buck for sure, but there is much greatness elsewhere. LCD-2 was nice with electronic, but comfort was an issue for me.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #16,124 of 46,564

Don't know what your budget is looking like, but I had the HE-400 for a while that I used exclusively for electronic and jazz until I got the HD 700 after the price drop. After that, the HE-400 immediately went up for sale. The HD 700 bass blows it out of the water IMO, digs deeper with more punch and also very detailed. Smooth treble without the tizz and crazy spike of the HE-400. It only just lacks the HE-400 soundstage. But the bass response, energy, detail and insane comfort more than make up for it. At $300 the HE-400 is huge bang for the buck for sure, but there is much greatness elsewhere. LCD-2 was nice with electronic, but comfort was an issue for me.

We will have to disagree here. Take what you said about the hd700 vs the he400 and reverse it. I wonder if you didn't type that backwards by mistake. The bass on the he400 is the crown jewel of that hp and to my ears is several leagues above the the he700.  I found the hd700 harsh, strident and overall unpleasant to listen to. And yes I listened to it on some very good amps. 

The he400 bass is some of the best audiophile quality bass in the game and at $300 you won't even get close with anything else. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #16,125 of 46,564

We will have to disagree here. Take what you said about the hd700 vs the he400 and reverse it. I wonder if you didn't type that backwards by mistake. The bass on the he400 is the crown jewel of that hp and to my ears is several leagues above the the he700.  I found the hd700 harsh, strident and overall unpleasant to listen to. And yes I listened to it on some very good amps. 

The he400 bass is some of the best audiophile quality bass in the game and at $300 you won't even get close with anything else. 

What amp did you listen to the HD 700 on? They tend to be polarizing around here, but I also think they are pretty source/amp dependent. Maybe on a brighter amp like the Magni it could sound somewhat harsh. But after 50 some hours of use now, even on the BH Crack (which I find tames the HD 700 a bit too much) is clearly more enjoyable to my ears than the HE-400 including the bass. I find its a perfect balance of detail and musicality. Electronic music especially. My opinion, of course. HE-400 is a fine headphone for the money even with it's sometimes wonky treble. I was only sharing my observations. The HE-400i may change my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back