Sennheiser HD650 ($350) or Denon AH-D7000 ($730)?
Oct 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 30
I forgot to mention one important thing but my main goal in this purchase is to get a headphone I won't regret getting.  I'm a bit of a cheap skate so I hate paying full retail for anything, and HD650, AHD7000, and DT990 were the only three on that website that were on sale.  

Also I don't mind the bulk at all and I'm gonna prbably get iBasso D6 Poratble DAC amp to power the headphone for my mobile use (both for phone and laptop).  right now I'm leaning towards AH-D7000 because if I get this headphone I won't have to worry about upgrading it to anything (if I get HD650, I will always wonder what it would feel like to get a pair of HD800's).  Also it seems like AH-D7000 is much more suited for my use.  But being a college student I gotta save up next two months to get those...

EDIT: I know I just wrote that post above but now I'm thinking HD650 will be a perfect headphone for my entrance to the world of high-end headphones... plus I think it is a steal for $350 (I only have to pay $100 using my gift card).  anyways value is extremely important with me being a broke college student so let me know what's the best deal out of the three:

Beyerdynamic DT990 (600 ohm) - $279
Denon AH-D7000 - $739
Sennheiser HD650 - $350

Also I'm a little concerned about the impedence of the DT990 so if you could let me know how that will affect the sound while using a portable amp, that will be awesome.

Thank you!

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 30
Ok so now i've started looking at a pair of Shure SE535... by far the most practical choice of all.  But I don't know if it will be satisfying enough compared to the full sized cans...

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 30

Quote:
I forgot to mention one important thing but my main goal in this purchase is to get a headphone I won't regret getting.  I'm a bit of a cheap skate so I hate paying full retail for anything, and HD650, AHD7000, and DT990 were the only three on that website that were on sale.  

Also I don't mind the bulk at all and I'm gonna prbably get iBasso D6 Poratble DAC amp to power the headphone for my mobile use (both for phone and laptop).  right now I'm leaning towards AH-D7000 because if I get this headphone I won't have to worry about upgrading it to anything (if I get HD650, I will always wonder what it would feel like to get a pair of HD800's).  Also it seems like AH-D7000 is much more suited for my use.  But being a college student I gotta save up next two months to get those...

EDIT: I know I just wrote that post above but now I'm thinking HD650 will be a perfect headphone for my entrance to the world of high-end headphones... plus I think it is a steal for $350 (I only have to pay $100 using my gift card).  anyways value is extremely important with me being a broke college student so let me know what's the best deal out of the three:

Denon AH-D7000 - $739
Sennheiser HD650 - $350

Also I'm a little concerned about the impedence of the DT990 so if you could let me know how that will affect the sound while using a portable amp, that will be awesome.

Thank you!

umm i think all 3 of those need a amp to really shine, maybe the d2000 would work ok on ipods and portables but the hd 650s and especially the 990s would be severely underpoweered on a portable amp

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 30
I had Sennheiser HD 650, and I think it is a good headphone.  To me, however, the sound is murky.  I moved to Denon AH-D7000 and Sennheiser HD 800, and I like the Denon the best.  It is not a perfect pair headphones (a little recessed mid for some music), but so far it is the best for me.  Really rich bass, and clean high.

This is my personal opinion, and you should try the headphones yourself before buying one pair for you.

My two cents.

P.S.: The built quality of the Denon is just beautiful.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #22 of 30

Quote:
I had Sennheiser HD 650, and I think it is a good headphone.  To me, however, the sound is murky.  I moved to Denon AH-D7000 and Sennheiser HD 800, and I like the Denon the best.  It is not a perfect pair headphones (a little recessed mid for some music), but so far it is the best for me.  Really rich bass, and clean high.

This is my personal opinion, and you should try the headphones yourself before buying one pair for you.

My two cents.

P.S.: The built quality of the Denon is just beautiful.

What amp are you using with the HD 800?

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #23 of 30

Quote:

Denon AH-D7000 - $739
Sennheiser HD650 - $350

Thank you!

Famous last words. I thought the same thing until i bought a portable amp. I plugged it in and thought, "Hey, this sounds a little cleaner and better", and later that day when i hit the road, i thought "It sure is not really worth cramming some complex system in your pocket for a small increase in sound quality". Now my portable amp is in my desk drawr, and all i use is my desktop amp. 

Btw, you won't be wondering what the hd800 sounds like when your listening to the hd650. They are very different in nature, the 650 being warm and lush with affirmative bass, and the hd800 being bright with huge soundstage and inadequate bass. If I bought the hd650, I would be wondering what the hd600 sounds like, since that is more similar in nature to the hd650 and around the same price. At that, I also might wonder what the hd598 is like. Just because they aren't at the top of the ladder doesn't mean they don't sound as good, its all about personal preference. Some people swear by the hd600 over the 650, and some people swear by the hd598 over both. 

Also, the hd598 is rumored to be the "little brother" of the hd800 as far as sound signature, being the headphone with the second most sound stage of all the senn's and one of the headphones with the MOST sound stage of all headphones! It is also a tad bright and bass light, also mimicking the senn hd800 frequency response.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
What amp are you using with the HD 800?

I use various types of amps from audio interfaces, A/V receivers, and others, and they don't change the basic signature of HD 800.  I am not denouncing HD 800, though.  It is a good pair of headphones, it just doesn't satisfy me.

In any case, my point is that it is personal taste that matters, and the best way of choosing headphones is to hear them first, and select one or more that suit your taste.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #25 of 30
If you decide to go with the D7000 shop around and find a better price, something around $650, document it and present the lower price to B&H. More often than not they'll honor it. I bought my D7000 from B&H for $625. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #26 of 30

Quote:
Ok so now i've started looking at a pair of Shure SE535... by far the most practical choice of all.  But I don't know if it will be satisfying enough compared to the full sized cans...

Here some useful information.  Basically neither the new LCD3 nor the STAX 009 have posted 30 and 300 hz square waves as impressive, impulse response is even more impressive.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #27 of 30
As a consumer and music lover i have a vast collections of highend phones and all the headphones mention are all good.As all highend phones requires a significant time of playing time before you get the full potential.Audio technica ath-ad900 is freakingly amazing mids,highs and lows are perfectly place where they should be and it's hard to believe since most reviews are negative, reasons i have no idea.Good recordings will be as real it can get but unforgiving for poorly recorded music because they are very accurate and precise.gather all your heaphones , listen and compare with same source and good recordings enjoy the trip.Peace

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Here some useful information.  Basically neither the new LCD3 nor the STAX 009 have posted 30 and 300 hz square waves as impressive, impulse response is even more impressive.

Too bad if you played both tones you'd never hear the 30hz. The LCD crushes the 535. I have both. I wish it was even close.

I wouldn't recommend the 535 at all. Muddy mids and no bass. They are awkward to wear. I'm clearly not a fan. There's tons of IEMs that are better.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #29 of 30
Just received my 650s a couple days back and on a lark I took them portable. A caveat here, I didn't use them when other people were around in an inclosed space such as the bus which I often take. I powered them with my FiiO E11 and it was totally up to the job, sounded really good. I listened to Pink Floyd, Chemical Brothers, Depeche Mode, Allan Parson Project, Tool .... you get the picture. The E11 did the 650 justice for sure. No I won't pretend that I think the E11 can fully drive the 650s, of course not, but it did a damn good job and the sound was very engaging in my books.

Another caveat here is that I would not ever use the 650 as a portable for more than a little treat once in a blue moon, they just don't seem built for that. I can imagine how much dirt and debris would collect in the housing, not a good thing for sure. Anyway, I just couldn't resist mentioning the E11 650 thing. What is this hobby if it can't be fun right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back