Sennheiser HD600 w/out amp or Grado Sr-325is?
Apr 4, 2011 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

infinityfarm

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently own a pair of Grado Sr-80is.  I'm looking to upgrade my listening situation a bit, and I've come to a bit of a dilemma.  Do I buy a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s even though I can't afford to buy a headphone amp or a dac at this time, or do I go with Grado Sr-325is, a headphone that I understand is less needy of amplification?  Will the unamped HD600s be an improvement over my SR-80s?  Of course I plan to eventually buy an amp and dac, but it would likely be a while before I could afford them.  An alternative answer that I've been considering is to buy Sennheiser HD-25-Is for portable/metro use.

What do you all think? 

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 9
Well there are a couple things to consider,but one thing is do you like the way the 80is sound? By that I mean does the Grado house sound appeal to you. From what I have read about Senns in general, the 325i and the HD600 are going to sound very different from each other, even if they were both being used with the same setup. The choice between the two would also probably depend on what type of music you listen to as well. While the 325is might be great for rock, the HD600s soundstage (Grados don't have very large soundstages) might tailor more towards classical.

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 9
If you can't get an amp then I'd recommend the Grados, they're much easier to drive. From what I've heard on the forums, the HD600's don't sound their best at all unamped. Just my two cents.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi, I have a pair of HD600s and even though they can be played at a nice volume level from my iPhone headphone jack, the quality of music they produce is nothing compared to using a simple amp like a Cmoy. I also have a SR60i and it sounds great straight from the iPhone.

Havent heard the SR325is but I have heard the SR225is and really liked it from my iPhone.

BTW, welcome to the forum.. I just joined myself!

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 9
Welcome to head-fi! 

I haven't heard the hd600's but I have owned the hd650's and am currently using the sr325is's.  I cannot stress enough how different the listening experiences are between these two headphones. Grado phones typically have very forward and "in your face" sound signatures while the hd650(for me at least) is very laid back. The sr325i/sr325is is also one of the most(if not THE most) aggressive in terms of the grado house sound.  Many(even those who upgrade from another grado) find the sr325i too bright. Although IMO, it's detail is unmatched.

So basically, if you feel like you can take the aggression up a few notches from your sr80i's, then the sr325i might work great for you. Grado's are indeed very self-sufficient. I commonly use mine directly out of my ipod.  Otherwise if your chasing after a more neutral or laid-back sound, I would say the hd600's are a better bet. However, they will require an amp to get the most out of them as they are high impedance cans.

Hope this helps
smile_phones.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 9
The HD600 offers a much natural sound, and has slightly better soundstage than 650 in my opinion. The sound spectrum is more balanced than the 650. Some people consider 600 is less fun, some one consider it's more involving, that's a matter of preference.
However, HD600 with out amp is not a good idea, and I doubt it will outperform 325Ri without amp. If you like the grado 80 i guess you can just stick with grado line. And when you have more budget you can try to experience different. However, the Sennheiser has a laid-back warm and polite sound in general. So one side it would suit pretty much all kinds of music , on the other side it might not do as well as grado in the genre that you love.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 9
If you like the Grado house sound I would recommend the SR-225 as the SR-325is can be piercing. Then wait until you can get a proper system for the HD600. I have heard them and they need an amp to get the best out of them.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 9
I've had my Hd600 unamped for a couple months. Sounds like a $100 dollar pair of cans until i can buy an amp!

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 9
The Grado sr 80is is a fantastic set of cans for the price.  They are easier to pair with
a variety of players and dacs and undoubtedly require less juice to enjoy a fully defined sound.
I bought my HD 600s after the Grados and was thrilled to find out that its soundstage is much more open and the instrumental definition and depth is stunning.  Indeed,  the amp you use will
determine how much space and definition you will experience.  Through an Audio Gd Fun dac or a grace m903, maybe even  a Nuforce Dac/amp,  the HD 600 sounds like a fully dimensional music canvas with all kinds of sourcepoints for an ensemble. The HD600 delivers clean, accurate music with warm depth and plenty of dynamic space.  I'm speaking from a classical, jazz, instrumental, and full orchestral sound perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back