Sennheiser HD600 turned woodie impressions
Aug 12, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #31 of 96
I don't know, from what Tyson says it sounds like accuracy went up, not down. At least that's how I would interpret "increased detail retrieval and transparency." Anyway, what he describes sounds like a fix for what I consider these cans' main flaw: that overdone midbass.

In anyone's opinion, does a cable upgrade fix that flaw? Tyson, did you think the woodies were more worthwhile than a cable upgrade, or vice versa? And, Jazz, why exactly couldn't the woodies improve the sound of these phones, despite their open nature?

Aug 12, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #32 of 96
Arright, how the heck do I get my photo's to show up in my post? I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I click the Image icon, put in my link to my photo, and hit ok, and it gives me either a red x or a mean-face icon.

Aug 12, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #33 of 96
Are you sure you can't click the photo or "advance" toward it one more page in any way? The same thing happened to me this moring, but I was using Photobucket, not Audiocircle as a host site. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Aug 12, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #34 of 96
To get the right link,right click on your image and click "view image" and then copy whatever is in the adress line.
Edit: oops the above is only for mozilla browser.In IE right click on the image then "properties" and copy the adress from there.

Aug 12, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #35 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
...Jazz, why exactly couldn't the woodies improve the sound of these phones, despite their open nature?

If you want accuracy, you don't mix the original sound waves with chaotic parasitic reflections, do you? And you don't want to cancel low frequencies, of which most headphones don't have enough, including the original HD 600.

As to «improve» the sound: if you like the sonic result, more power to you! But don't mix it up with accuracy. From the high-fidelity point of view this is a bad design.

peacesign.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #36 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
If you want accuracy, you don't mix the original sound waves with chaotic parasitic reflections, do you? And you don't want to cancel low frequencies, of which most headphones don't have enough, including the original HD 600.

As to «improve» the sound: if you like the sonic result, more power to you! But don't mix it up with accuracy. From the high-fidelity point of view this is a bad design.

peacesign.gif

I guess you're right; could this be analogous to placing speakers in a room made completely out of hardwood? i.e., there would be terrible ringing and reflection.

As for my other question: do you think a cable upgrade would remove the flaw I mentioned earlier (midbass hump)?

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #37 of 96
I agree with Jazz. These cups probably reduce fidelity in favor of a flavor change. Sennheiser designed these as open cans, and they know their stuff. If these had higher fidelity with a closed chamber Sennheiser would have realized this and manufactured them that way.

I'm sure these cups drastically change the flavor of the HD600s. And thus I can't help but think those who would like the sound of these cups are people who don't like the Sennheiser sound in the first place (those who complain about laid-backness, veil, distance, boringness, etc). They may be better served with different cans rather than trying to mod the Senns. I remember a long time ago when someone here taped up the back of his HD600s and liked the result. Well, look around and see how well that caught on. I believe this person now uses a different brand of cans
tongue.gif

I also must say that while the woody CD3Ks look beautiful, I think these wooden cups sort of clash with the carbon fiber chassis.

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #38 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
I also must say that while the woody CD3Ks look beautiful, I think these wooden cups sort of clash with the carbon fiber chassis.

I had hd600 once and AFAIR the metal stripes that connect earpieces to the headband are completely black so another black part shouldnt look too much out of place

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #40 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Sennheiser designed these as open cans, and they know their stuff. If these had higher fidelity with a closed chamber Sennheiser would have realized this and manufactured them that way.

They especially know their stuff when they designed the cable
wink.gif
Nothing wrong with liking them stock, nothing wrong with liking them modded.
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot
might be neat to see senn woodies with r10-like contours or something neat like that.

The thicker will be wedged forward in a similar vein.

Aug 12, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #42 of 96
-Xanadu-
My friend, you've done it yet again!! You have managed to turn a potentially risky, and very large modification into a successfull, whole new enterprise!! Congrats my man! A couple of questions for ya though...

Is the shape you chose for the 600/650 a specified shape that could not be changed if requested? And if you have to screw in the woodies to the frame with the 4 screws, does that mean they can be unscrewed to take off the woody cups in order to put the metal grill back on, and then re-used again another day? If so, how many times could a person do this before the wear and tear of the screw holes kicks in? I also am wondering a great deal about how the HD650 would benefit from this major modification? I know you said you haven't done it yet, but is there any chance of you letting us know when you do? If so, what would be your rough estimate as to when you would be able to woody out the 650's? Although, at the same time, I don't know if I would really want to change anything about my beloved HD-650's as they are pretty much perfect in my eyes. So this is where the "is it permanent" question of mine kicks in.

BTW, Thanx for contributing to head-fi so much as you have donw a good job with re-kindling old relationships with people's older headphones that they thought they knew. This modification hobby of yours has clearly opened up a whole new arena for us headphone lovers. And I'm glad you were the one to start it all. Now that you have your own website, offering to sell these mods, you can see that many, MANY others share the same feelings as I do about your contributions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:07 AM Post #43 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
Is the shape you chose for the 600/650 a specified shape that could not be changed if requested?

I am not against trying something different and if I like it, that could be the new norm. Quote:

And if you have to screw in the woodies to the frame with the 4 screws, does that mean they can be unscrewed to take off the woody cups in order to put the metal grill back on, and then re-used again another day? If so, how many times could a person do this before the wear and tear of the screw holes kicks in?

They will stay in somewhat without the screws but if they fall out, you'd want to have carpet or cushioned furniture around. Since existing holes in the Senn frame are used (I wonder what Senn had in mind for these since they are in the right spot for a closed cup design), the screens can be put back on and off since there is basically no modifications, with the exception of the holes getting a little larger (unseen area under pads). Depending on the wood type and if you didn't overtighten, you could reuse them many times. Holes can always be refurbished with say, wood glue and toothpicks anyway. Quote:

I also am wondering a great deal about how the HD650 would benefit from this major modification? I know you said you haven't done it yet, but is there any chance of you letting us know when you do? If so, what would be your rough estimate as to when you would be able to woody out the 650's?

Maybe someone at the Seattle meet will have 650's that we can slip them on, otherwise, I'll just have to wait till I get some personally. No reason it couldn't be done now as far as I'm concerned, just need a guinea pig. What the outcome will be is unknown for now. Quote:

Although, at the same time, I don't know if I would really want to change anything about my beloved HD-650's as they are pretty much perfect in my eyes. So this is where the "is it permanent" question of mine kicks in.

Perfect is, until there is better... these are aimed at 580-600's though they'd sure look nice on 650's, soundwise, unknown for now. As we all know but may not admit, you simply don't know till you try something for yourself, what the benefits/downfalls are. At some point, there will probably be a set of demo cups floating around for peeps to try, just not quite yet.

Quote:

BTW, Thanx for contributing to head-fi so much as you have done a good job with re-kindling old relationships with people's older headphones that they thought they knew. This modification hobby of yours has clearly opened up a whole new arena for us headphone lovers.

Thanks for the kind words and I enjoy looking at something in a different light, a little out of the box, and seeing where it leads
600smile.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #44 of 96
I don't call that a smart move to turn a OPEN phone into a closed one.
It's like turning a bass-reflex speaker into a closed one, or should i drill holes in my HD25 cups, i would like a better soundstage? LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
They especially know their stuff when they designed the cable
wink.gif
Nothing wrong with liking them stock, nothing wrong with liking them modded.

Hey, be honest man, the cable has nothing to do with the design of the phone.

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:07 AM Post #45 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
I don't call that a smart move to turn a OPEN phone into a closed one.
It's like turning a bass-reflex speaker into a closed one, or should i drill holes in my HD25 cups, i would like a better soundstage? LOL

Hey, be honest man, the cable has nothing to do with the design of the phone.

This is a test of the Emergency Troll System. Had this been an actual opinion, the post you just read would have been followed by official facts, news or instructions. This is only a test.

Too bad there's no FU smilie...
angryfire.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back