Sennheiser HD600 turned woodie impressions
Aug 11, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 96
Wood was Mahagony, painted black, with gloss finish applied.

Price was $135 plus shipping.

Aug 11, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #17 of 96
Can't wait for pics. Hey, if not too much trouble, how bout showing us less mechanically inclined the installation procedure. I, for one, have never had the pads off my 600's much less the grills. Would appreciate a detailed description with pics if you get the time.

Thanks for stepping out in new territory to the benefit of us all!

Aug 11, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #18 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Wood was Mahagony, painted black, with gloss finish applied.

Price was $135 plus shipping.

This is tempting me way too much!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Aug 11, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #19 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
I, for one, have never had the pads off my 600's much less the grills. Would appreciate a detailed description with pics if you get the time.

yeah!! I second to that!!! I don't know a heck about how I can pull out the grill of HD600's....I am too afraid that I might damage the headphone while doing so ...

Aug 11, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #21 of 96
Thanks Tyson, for posting your thoughtful impressions...

If they weren't easy to do yourself, I wouldn't offer them for DIY. However, I will put them on for free if someone is in doubt (as offered on website).

The screen is held on by pressure only. To remove, simply slide a spoon under lip of the screen and pry slightly then remove. To reinstall, press them back on. The woody's fit inside the now exposed plastic lip. They will somewhat stay by themselves, however it is best to screw them on by removing the ear pads and using the existing 4 holes per cup for the screws. The woody's are pre drilled and line up with the Senn holes. As long as they are tightened gradually by moving from screw to screw, it's straight forward. I may post some pics of this procedure on the website.

Clarification: The introductory price includes shipping to USA.

Aug 11, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #22 of 96
Tyson, how is the soundstage compared to the stock 600s? Sounds like the woodies work very well, but I wouldn't want to buy them and then miss the soundstage of my Senns. Also, how's the imaging of the woody Senns?

My other concern is that you say the modded Senns have MORE mid-bass, but bass seems almost overpowering on my current setup. It seems sometimes that the bass obscures the mids and treble, especially at low volumes. What are your thoughts on this?

Aug 11, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #23 of 96
Do you have the stock cable? If so, then that is the problem most likely. I found with the stock cable that the mids and highs were subdued. The bass too much. Not in a "bloated" kind of way, but more in a "not balanced" kind of way. The interesting thing about the woodies is that they increase the impact of the midbass, but not the loudness. However, they counterbalance that by bringing the upper mids and highs out a lot more clearly, so the 600's sound a lot more balanced with the woodies, at least to these ears.

As for the soundstage, it is still a good soundstage, but it is far different from the ultra wide and somewhat distant presentation with the mesh grills. The musicians are closer and bigger, but you do lose some sense of space.

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #24 of 96
Tyson, you're completely mad!
tongue.gif
I might have to try this some though
wink.gif

btw your avatar make me picture you as a homeless/street person carrying around loads of headphones in their shopping card
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #25 of 96
I may be getting an HD650 soon if all goes well so I may have to go for these.

I only have five wooden headphones... must have more!!
biggrin.gif

there are some pics at the headphile site.

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #26 of 96
what's the difference between the standard depth and the big thick ones?

Aug 12, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #28 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Muuuuuuussstt rrrrrreeeesssssssssit!
biggrin.gif

I would say the best way to resist is to stop browsing Head-Fi... or at least stop clicking on any threads with titles that sound enticing.
smily_headphones1.gif

but then, wooden cups for a Senn isn't going to hurt your wallet that much.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #30 of 96
Honestly, that's not a good idea. The HD 600 is no closed headphone even with a closed back. Its driver baffle is open, making it permeable to the out-of-phase low-frequency waves from the rear of the membrane. A closed back holds these sound waves back and conducts them to the ear, causing the reported low-bass cancellations. It's the opposite effect than from a really closed headphone where the sound-impermeable baffle and the earpad form a closed cavity coupling membrane and eardrum to one vibrating unit with low frequencies.

As to increased mids and highs: you have to be concious that the gain consists of parasitic reflected sound from the closed back, and the perceived positive sound effect is a euphonic coloration, but not increased accuracy in the sense of high fidelity.
cool.gif

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back