Sennheiser HD600 losing punch after a year or so
Oct 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Syliano

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I was wondering if it's possible that my HD600 lost some of it's "punch" due to the ear pads wearing out? They kinda sound lifeless to me, as if the pads are damping the sound or something. Basically these headphones are on my head everyday for at least a few hours. When is a good time to replace the ear pads?  I hope to get some opinions on this. 

Thanks in advance!
L3000.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
The pads influence on how good a headphone sound. How old are they? i assume you have the original pads that come with the headphones. 

They are about a year and a half old, I bought them in may last year. Yup, with the original pads. I think its time for some new ones. I didn't realise I had them for this long already. So my theory could be right?

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 19
What source(s) are you plugging the headphone into?
DAC & Amp?

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
They are about a year and a half old, I bought them in may last year. Yup, with the original pads. I think its time for some new ones. I didn't realise I had them for this long already. So my theory could be right?

New pads could help, but it also depends on the quality of your source. 
That's why Purple angel wants to know.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Hey guys, I was wondering if it's possible that my HD600 lost some of it's "punch" due to the ear pads wearing out? They kinda sound lifeless to me, as if the pads are damping the sound or something. Basically these headphones are on my head everyday for at least a few hours. When is a good time to replace the ear pads?  I hope to get some opinions on this. 

Thanks in advance!
L3000.gif

I would guess(?) as the pads wear out and flatten and your ears get closer to the diaphragm, the headphone would sound louder.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
I would guess(?) as the pads wear out and flatten and your ears get closer to the diaphragm, the headphone would sound louder.

It's not really the loudness, I can raise the volume to ear deafening levels. Its more the impact and dynamics of the percussion sounds and drums thats missing lately I guess. I really realised this yesterday when I got the AKG K141S, they had more punch than my sennheisers, ofcourse the HD600 is better sonicly, but I was kinda suprised at how much more punch these AKG's had. I bought the AKG's because my HD600 was sounding so off lately 
blink.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
It's not really the loudness, I can raise the volume to ear deafening levels. Its more the impact and dynamics of the percussion sounds and drums thats missing lately I guess. I really realised this yesterday when I got the AKG K141S, they had more punch than my sennheisers, ofcourse the HD600 is better sonicly, but I was kinda suprised at how much more punch these AKG's had. I bought the AKG's because my HD600 was sounding so off lately 
blink.gif

AKG K141S are 55-Ohm headphones and the Senn HD600 are 300-Ohm, technically both headphones like a fair amount of juice to sound their best.
But if your amplifier is underpowering, chances are the Senn HD600 should be affected more.
So what DAC and headphone amplifier are you using?

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
AKG K141S are 55-Ohm headphones and the Senn HD600 are 300-Ohm, technically both headphones like a fair amount of juice to sound their best.
But if your amplifier is underpowering, chances are the Senn HD600 should be affected more.
So what DAC and headphone amplifier are you using?

Fiio E7+E9, the E9 should have enough juice to power the HD600.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 19
maybe your taste for music has changed... 
wink.gif

how about tossing a tube amp into the equation for a change of flavor.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
maybe your taste for music has changed... 
wink.gif

how about tossing a tube amp into the equation for a change of flavor.

I actually use them in my home studio for mixing next to my yamaha msp5 monitors. I'm afraid a tube amp is going to color the sound too much. I was thinking about using the E7 as DAC and getting a better amp that won't break the bank, like the schiit asgard. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
I actually use them in my home studio for mixing next to my Yamaha msp5 monitors. I'm afraid a tube amp is going to color the sound too much. I was thinking about using the E7 as DAC and getting a better amp that won't break the bank, like the Schiit Asgard. 

Do you have anything else around, like a receiver, that you can plug the Senn HD600s into?
It would be nice to see if something else powers the HD600 better then the Fiio E09, before ordering another amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back