Sennheiser HD598 vs Momentum
Jan 25, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #61 of 136

You are probably right, but the matter of fact was that I had money for one pair of headphones and wanted to see the pro's and cons of both these headphones. 

Then by now you may have found:
The Momentums are :
1) More expensive
2) Have more bass
3) Better materials and build quality.
4) Better Isolation

The HD598's:
1) Better Soundstage
2) Slightly more treble

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #63 of 136
  Portability?
Fashion?
High grade materials?

You didn't really think this through before posting, did you?

portability is the same….shorten the cable
They look WAY better
Didn't think that one through….your highness

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #64 of 136
I returned my momentums to the seller for a full refund, I really liked them but they were uncomfortable. The ear cup size is very small. I Always considered myself to have pretty small ears but on the right it just wasn't comfortable. The cups are much smaller than expected so please do yourself a favor and try these out before buying them.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #65 of 136

Portability?
Fashion?
High grade materials?

You didn't really think this through before posting, did you?

portability is the same….shorten the cable
They look WAY better
Didn't think that one through….your highness

The HD598 is simply a bigger headphone therefore it is less portable. It is also open-back so it's pointless to use it outdoors, therefore not good for portable use. If the cable requires modification to become portable, it is not a portable headphone.
I don't even know why you're trying to argue this.

The HD598 do not look WAY better. Have a search through the MANY threads with titles like "most beautiful headphone" and you'll find it difficult to find more than one post about the HD598. You'll find it much easier to find multiple posts about the Momentum. Looks and fashion will never have a right or a wrong answer as it is purely subjective, but in this case we can simply go by objective statistics.

So yes, I did think that one through.

If however you originally posted that the "598s crush ever aspect of the momentum except for sound leakage [sonically]" you might have had a fair argument and nobody would have responded. But ironically you argue that the HD598 is a better portable when it fails at sound leakage, which goes hand in hand with sound isolation, which is absolutely necessary for a portable headphone.

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #66 of 136
I've owned both, I'll give you the pro's and cons of both:

Momentum: Better build quality, sound isolation and portabillity

HD 598: Better sound in every way except bass impact IMHO. HD 598 has way better sound stage and sounds clearer to me. Costs a lot less than a momentum also. Comfort is MUCH better than the momentum, this is the reason why I returned the momentums. The ear cups are very small. The HD 598 has very large and soft ear pads.

In short, if you plan to use the headphones at home get the HD 598, if you plan to use them outdoors get the momentums.

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #67 of 136
I've owned both, I'll give you the pro's and cons of both:

Momentum: Better build quality, sound isolation and portabillity

HD 598: Better sound in every way except bass impact IMHO. HD 598 has way better sound stage and sounds clearer to me. Costs a lot less than a momentum also. Comfort is MUCH better than the momentum, this is the reason why I returned the momentums. The ear cups are very small. The HD 598 has very large and soft ear pads.

In short, if you plan to use the headphones at home get the HD 598, if you plan to use them outdoors get the momentums.

+1! Best and simple comparison! The Momentum sound rather congested and bass on the loose side. Were a good headphone before newer portable headphones came out

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #68 of 136
Have the momentums, only demoed the hd598 in a store so the conditions were not the best....

To my ears and as a pop, some agressive rock like early artic monkeys and edm listener i preferred the momentums. To my ears they had more body to the sound,they also sounded cleaner (the hd598 seemed to have a tiny bit of grain)....

Hands down the hd598s are more confortable and have far better soundstage but of course they are only appropriate for home use....

Oh by the way.... Billson i sold my mdr 1rs..... Too muddy. For me the momentums were better in everything than the 1rs besides soundstage and confort.... They are both equally beautifull though.....

Right now i am back to the hd25 and the momentums.... I am waiting now for a pair of akg k550s to arrive.... :)

If i dont !ike the akgs maybe i will return them and try a pair of hd598s.... As i said i tried the hd598 in a store so as much as i tried there was never total silence, so my words on the hd598 must be taken lightly.....

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #70 of 136
wrong choice of words sorry bilsson.... maybe muffled is the better word. I did not completely dislike them but the overall sound was not my thing. Vocals for example sounded too colored and to my ears it was almost like if the singers were covered with a blanket.... something sounded recessed to my ears..... I dont get this feeling on the hd25's and the momentums. To my ears the momentums and the hd25's sound equally better, just a different tuning.... the momentums being the warmer one with great resolution, and the hd25's the neutral to bright one with amazing punchy bass... actually with some equing i can almost make the hd25 sound like the momentums.... i love both.... XD

Dont worry m8, i got the 1r's fo 70 euros and ended uo selling them for 90..... XD

I loved the looks and the soundstage, but my ears also touched the driveres a tiny bit. the sound to me was inferior when compared to the momentums and the hd25's and also the jack rattle and some creaking made me crazy.... XD

Overall not a bad headphone but to my ears not on the same level as the momentums and hd25 in terms os sound quality. :) I could only enjoy them on my ipod touch with a rock or eletronic eq....

Now i purchased a akg k550 for 85 euros in a store i Portugal. Lets see what i think of them..... If i dont like them my next purchase will be the hd598 to try it in a proper environment....

I am also planning on getting a pair of amperiors as a backup for my hd25's since they are now cheaper and aslso the velour pads will be a great extra in terms of confort....

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #72 of 136
Thank you potter pastor but they are too expensive..... i got the momentums for 160, the cheapest i can get for the nad viso is 280!!! XD I apreciate the advise of course though.... :)
Also it seems like the nads also have some confort issues from what i read.....

RIgh now i am getting the akg k550s for home.... if i dont like them hd598.... if i dont like the hds than i will go portable again and will order some amperior fun.... (the amperiors are my last choice for now since i have the hd25's and from what i read although more confortable they are also a tad less bassier than the hd25s and to me the hd25 bass is the right amount, so less in this case may not be very good... )...XD

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #73 of 136
I listened to the Sennheiser Momentus 2 times. I thought my Shure SE535 IEM sounded better. So I would opt against the Sennheiser Momentus if it sounds worse than an IEM.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #74 of 136
Mart choice xD you just earned 20 euro out of it xD but still my mistakes... It is always hard looking for the right pair of headphone IMO XD not sure if I am just too picky though but whenever I am shopping for headphones, I tend to get mixed xD

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #75 of 136
  I listened to the Sennheiser Momentus 2 times. I thought my Shure SE535 IEM sounded better. So I would opt against the Sennheiser Momentus if it sounds worse than an IEM.

a multo ba driver iem is hard to beat by dynamic over ears. i bet you get mire details and better separation with your se535 than you will get even with an hd800..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back