Sennheiser HD598 vs Momentum
Jan 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #76 of 136
I love my HD598s.  I recorded one of my concerts (with 2 acoustic instruments) using an R09-HR recorder at 44.1khz 24 bit and listening to it playback with HD598s is amazing.  The amount of detail is exquisite.  Also, for those that live near Frys electronics, Frys has had the HD598 on sale for $149 several times in the past 6 months.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #78 of 136
I can tell some people in this thread have never listened to momentums, congested ? are you sure you didn't demo the on ear cheaper versions ?

Got mine today running them through a xonar dx connected to a fiio e6 and they sound wonderfully detailed and totally uncongested, almost sound almost like an open can to my ears and they are sat on my ears not around them.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #79 of 136
  I can tell some people in this thread have never listened to momentums, congested ? are you sure you didn't demo the on ear cheaper versions ?

Got mine today running them through a xonar dx connected to a fiio e6 and they sound wonderfully detailed and totally uncongested, almost sound almost like an open can to my ears and they are sat on my ears not around them.

Try putting it next to a B&O H6, AKG K550, PSB M4U1, and some other closed headphones at that price range, you may find it congested :) 

I have tried both version of the Momentum and while the classic Momentum does not sound as aggressive as the on-ear, it is still lacking in soundstage IMO 

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #80 of 136
  Try putting it next to a B&O H6, AKG K550, PSB M4U1, and some other closed headphones at that price range, you may find it congested :) 

I have tried both version of the Momentum and while the classic Momentum does not sound as aggressive as the on-ear, it is still lacking in soundstage IMO 

Compare any of them to an HD600, HE-500 or other mainstream open back and they will sound congested. I think you are exaggerating a little.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #81 of 136
Well my gf owns HD 598 and they arent even as good as £40 goldring dr150 the sennheiser HD555 also sound worse to me than goldring dr150 but that's just my opinion.. i think I just prefer a in your face grado leaning sparkly warm smooth mid range bass oriented sound.

Just saying there seems to be too many fanboys that just love to big up their current headphone and make up stuff ? anyone genuine that owns or has tried the momentum over ear the last thing they would say is congested they sound airy like an open can almost.

I agree that they are not worth the RRP I paid £125 new for mine sealed but from a pawn shop style shop, but everywhere else it's £259.99 there's no way I'd be happy at that price and would return them, for a start the earpads are tiny and in now way can or should be marketed as over ear.To my ears they are very forward in the mids and treble last thing i'd say was congested and that's comparing them to some very well regarded headphones.

Also the cables are a joke they are like no brand cheapo narrow cables like the type that come with the fiio stuff or iphone cables.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #82 of 136
  Well my gf owns HD 598 and they arent even as good as £40 goldring dr150 the sennheiser HD555 also sound worse to me than goldring dr150 but that's just my opinion.. i think I just prefer a in your face grado leaning sparkly warm smooth mid range bass oriented sound.

Just saying there seems to be too many fanboys that just love to big up their current headphone and make up stuff ? anyone genuine that owns or has tried the momentum over ear the last thing they would say is congested they sound airy like an open can almost.

I agree that they are not worth the RRP I paid £125 new for mine sealed but from a pawn shop style shop, but everywhere else it's £259.99 there's no way I'd be happy at that price and would return them, for a start the earpads are tiny and in now way can or should be marketed as over ear.To my ears they are very forward in the mids and treble last thing i'd say was congested and that's comparing them to some very well regarded headphones.

Also the cables are a joke they are like no brand cheapo narrow cables like the type that come with the fiio stuff or iphone cables.

You seem to have your own overly zealous opinion of the Goldring DR150.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #83 of 136
Compare any of them to an HD600, HE-500 or other mainstream open back and they will sound congested. I think you are exaggerating a little.

But then again,they are open headphones, and there is not much reason to compare open and close headphone. I would still say the mentioned closed headphones is a really good competitors against Momentum. Additionally, those headphones for a closed headphone, they do sound airy. The momentum really is lacking soundstage IMO

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #84 of 136
But then again,they are open headphones, and there is not much reason to compare open and close headphone. I would still say the mentioned closed headphones is a really good competitors against Momentum. Additionally, those headphones for a closed headphone, they do sound airy. The momentum really is lacking soundstage IMO

I have no complains.... :-D
My only 2 headphones right now are the momentums and the hd25 a nd as you guys know the hd25 has no soundstage at all and when compared the momentums sound like they are open to me.... :-D

But yes when compared to the 1r, hd598 and the k550 or even the philips uptown the momentums take a beating when it comes to soundstage

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #85 of 136

I have Momentums and HD600's as well as HE-500's and other open backs. I don't think the soundstage on Momentums (Over Ear) is as lacking as exaggerated. IMO it's better than many other closed backs that I've heard but not the best in the category either. The FR is reminicent of the HD650's, pushed up bass and a little bit of recessed trebles.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #86 of 136
I have Momentums and HD600's as well as HE-500's and other open backs. I don't think the soundstage on Momentums (Over Ear) is as lacking as exaggerated. IMO it's better than many other closed backs that I've heard but not the best in the category either. The FR is reminicent of the HD650's, pushed up bass and a little bit of recessed trebles.

Guess we all hear very differently then @.@ I can't help but finding the Momentum lacking soundstage xD

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #87 of 136
Guess we all hear very differently then @.@ I can't help but finding the Momentum lacking soundstage xD

Are the two @ signs for ears or eyes? It could go either way. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #88 of 136

It really comes down to what you are comparing them to XP (especially against something like a K701 in your signature)

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #89 of 136

Users who are viewing this thread

Back