Sennheiser HD598 vs Momentum
Apr 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #91 of 136
I have both 598 and Momentum and they are very different. The HD 598 is open and lush and a tad on the bright side. It picks up details and sounds other phones can't.

The Momentum is closed and warm and sweet and higher in resolution imo than the 598. It sounds better with my e12/iphone 4s combo than the 598. But the 598 sounds better with classical and movies. I love them both. The Momentum is the better all rounder. If I could only own one, I would have the Momentum. But thank God I do not have to choose:)

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #92 of 136
I disagree with you that the HD598 are bright. It's not bright at all, in fact, it's rather dark. I would say it's rather mid centric but it is not very detailed like what you may have described. There are, in fact, many other headphones that is actually more detailed than the HD598.

I do agree with you though, that the HD598 is good for classical and movies, like it with some jazz too hehe

IMO
Billson :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #93 of 136
The Momentums are portable, close-backed and really cannot compete with the 598's.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #94 of 136
The Momentums are portable, close-backed and really cannot compete with the 598's.

I totally disagree.
Have you even heard the Momentums?
They're resolution and timbre is just as excellent as the HD598.
Also they totally destroy the HD598 for outdoor use/isolation and style.

I can't believe this "apples and oranges" thread is still going strong.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #95 of 136
I totally disagree.
Have you even heard the Momentums?
They're resolution and timbre is just as excellent as the HD598.
Also they totally destroy the HD598 for outdoor use/isolation and style.

I can't believe this "apples and oranges" thread is still going strong.

I have heard the Momentums, I think that they are excellent headphones but they don't match up to the open and natural sound of the open 598's.

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #99 of 136
Love the 600s. High fidelity neutral phones with a pinch of warm is the way I would characterize them.

I agree that the 598's are warm. There is a little bit of lower treble tilt to my ears, but I was incorrect to use the word "bright." Listening to the 600 and 598 back to back, the 598 seems a little north of neutral in the treble to my ears. Both headphones are important to me. The 598 is a little easier to drive, and more comfortable. The HD 598 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn hands-down. That's important because if the headphone is not comfortable, then I don't want to wear it, no matter how good it sounds. Plus it sounds lush and luscious and lovely,

And it's on sale right now!

The 600 definitely sounds like a higher up headphone when connected to more expensive desktop equipment. I also think it sounds great with my E12, though I wish Sennheiser made a shorter cable for portable amps.

May 3, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #104 of 136

That's so judgmental. Have you heard the IE800s? They are really small iems, yet crush many open-back over ears in sound quality.

May 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #105 of 136
if you're looking in the same price range as the momentum, the HE-400 is $300, and I personally love it. Just saying. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back