Sennheiser HD598 vs Momentum
May 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #106 of 136
  if you're looking in the same price range as the momentum, the HE-400 is $300, and I personally love it. Just saying. 

IMO the HE-400's have sonic annoyances which is why I went for the HE-500's which do cost more, even with the recent price break. I prefer the HD598 or even better the HD600's which are also in my aresenal.

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #108 of 136
I would definitely go with the 598's for your at home listening. I absolutely adore mine and use them every single day. They sound fantastic and are the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. If your ever looking for headphones outside of your home, then i would go with the Momentum.

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #109 of 136
Or you can just take your hd598 outdoors with you anyway XP

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #110 of 136
I had momentums  and returned them, they were  so uncomfortable but liked the sound

Now i could live with a little less bass, but are the 598 a significant upgrade in clarity department,do they pick up more detail, i do listen all source of music, and these are strictly for home use

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #111 of 136
  I had momentums  and returned them, they were  so uncomfortable but liked the sound

Now i could live with a little less bass, but are the 598 a significant upgrade in clarity department,do they pick up more detail, i do listen all source of music, and these are strictly for home use

The 598's will have a better soundstage and IMO better detail/treble. They should also solve issues with comfort, just realize there will be far less isolation.

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #113 of 136
  What do you think sounds better between the 598s and Urbanite XLs?

At home/office - 598 sounds better than urbanite
Outdoors - Urbanite sounds better than 598

Apples and tangerines.

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #114 of 136
The 598's will have a better soundstage and IMO better detail/treble. They should also solve issues with comfort, just realize there will be far less isolation.

Thanks

I know that they are open , but they will be used only in my room so that's no problem

I liked bass on momentum, is the one on 598 much weeaker, becous i wouldn't have a problem with a slightly less bass present

I like to hear details , back vocals, background music and so,with a solid bass, is this the best choice for open under 200$ headphones

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #115 of 136
Thanks

I know that they are open , but they will be used only in my room so that's no problem

I liked bass on momentum, is the one on 598 much weeaker, becous i wouldn't have a problem with a slightly less bass present

I like to hear details , back vocals, background music and so,with a solid bass, is this the best choice for open under 200$ headphones

The HD598 has less bass but it is good stuff. If you want a true step up, you might want to look into getting an HD600 on sale, and a inexpensive Schiit amp like a Magni or Vali (approx $100), I prefer the Magni. I own all of this kit and more. The HD600 can stand toe to toe with my Planar Magnetic cans that cost plenty more.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #117 of 136
  The HD598 has less bass but it is good stuff. If you want a true step up, you might want to look into getting an HD600 on sale, and a inexpensive Schiit amp like a Magni or Vali (approx $100), I prefer the Magni. I own all of this kit and more. The HD600 can stand toe to toe with my Planar Magnetic cans that cost plenty more.

Yea i know that hd600 and above is great with good amp, but I am on a budget at the moment:D

I can get hd589 and fiio andes dac/amp for little less than 200$, I think that's a solid setup

Any other suggestions maybe

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #118 of 136
Thanks

You might consider the HD558's as well, they've got the same driver as the 598's but have a lower price. There's a easy "Black Foam" mod that many swear by (me too). This mod is easy and can be done in minutes. I think the 598's look nice, some prefer the look of the black 558's.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #119 of 136
You might consider the HD558's as well, they've got the same driver as the 598's but have a lower price. There's a easy "Black Foam" mod that many swear by (me too). This mod is easy and can be done in minutes. I think the 598's look nice, some prefer the look of the black 558's.

I heard of that and i like black much more

Is it really true, I can save 50$

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #120 of 136

I heard of that and i like black much more

Is it really true, I can save 50$

The differences in sound are very slight, some prefer one, others perfer the other. I suspect that most can't really hear a difference.
If one want's to really hear a difference, they'll have to crack open the wallet further and get a pair of HD600's and make sure their amp can dish out enough to drive the HD600's power requirements at 300 Ohms, which isn't as big a deal (power) as some folks like to make it out to be. If you can handle the expense of the HD600's, it is well worth it. Otherwise the HD558's can take you on the journey until temptation gets a hold of your wallet, which is inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back