Sennheiser HD598 vs Momentum
Dec 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #46 of 136
The HD 650 has a wider soundstage. More power needed to drive it. But it is on the warm side of neutral like the momentum. It is a little thicker perhaps in the bass like the momentum. It is slightly rolled off on top like the Momentum.

so it's just my opinion, but if you like the Momentum but want something that surrounds your ears better, you might like the HD 650. With a good amp and source of course.

maybe it would be better to say that the Sennheiser Momentum is like a portable HD 650 Junior

Yea, but HD650 are well over $500.00 CAD here. I want them but not at that price, time for Senn to lower the price on both HD600 and HD650, IMO. Hope Senn agree :wink:

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #47 of 136
I think it is better to pull the trigger on a high quality headphone you will really like than to nickel and dime yourself on economical options that don't quite satisfy.

What about the Viso HP 50? They will fit over your ears better, and some say they are an even better portable option than the Momentum. They are also cheaper by 50 dollars

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #48 of 136
I've owned a pair of HD650's which I sold last week because these aren't really ment to use without an amp. I do own an amp but I've decided I want something easier to drive so I can use them connected to my iPad and things like that without carying around an amp which needs to be charged etc. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #49 of 136
The Sennheiser HD598 is really a nice headphone and its $149.95 price at FRY's Electronics, in-store while supplies last only, is a very good deal.   Check their Web site for local store availability.   I think the HD598 sounds great. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #53 of 136
Guys i am about to sell my over ear momentums tomorrow (for 180 euros). I love everything in them except the rally awkward seal and because of that i pratically have to stand still with my head to get a good seal and keep it....

As i already have a pair of hd25-.1 IIs i am thinking of getting a pair of hd598's (120 euros) for home use and as a replacement for the momentums (not a direct replacement of course since they are different types of headphones....)

Do you guys think a hd25/hd598 combination would be a nice compliment to having only the momentums as my all rounder?

I listen mostly to rock pop, indie and edm....

I will be using any of the cans mostly on a nexus 7 and a 4th gen ipod gen with no amps....

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #54 of 136
I do enjoy using my Sennheiser HD598s. You can find other headphones that sound better but that will likely be the case for about any headphone on the market! There is almost always something better. The HD598s are extremely comfortable. The HD598s have contributed greatly to my increased listening via headphones. They work well without amping.

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #55 of 136
To try and help u huys helping me on wether the hd598's are or not a good options for me here are my insights on what i have tested or had so far......

I had Mdr v6, akg k518, cals, over ear momentums, ath m50, hd25.
I also tried the hd598, 558 and 518....

I found the v6s cool for edm but too bright and agressive for rock or pop, the k518s too bassy and muddy and with rollled off highs, the ath !50 i did not like them very much, they were not bad, but they were too big and it was like, bass, weird rolled off mids and a forward but i guess not bery natural treble. I like the hd25s but i do admit that the highs are sometime too much (but bareable and definitly better than on the m50s') and they sound a tad grainy when compared to the momentums. At first i did not like the cals because i thought the treble was too little, but i got used to it, also had the same impression with the momentums but right now i think the highs are just about right (a middle between the hd25s and the momentums is more than enough treble for me).

I liked the hd598 better than the 558 and the hd518 because of the very refined mids and highs, but i missed the low end body of the momentums on the hd598s sound and also i was left with the impression that they also sounded a tad grainy next to the momentums but i tried them in a store so without total silence its hard to judge....

Also all of this headphones were tested directly through my 4th gen ipod touch.... 

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #56 of 136
I've had the HD-598 for about a month now and I must say that I am really satisfied with these headphones. Extremely comfortable, maybe a tiny bit loose (wen I bent over a book while studying they slip down a tiny bit) but in general very nice headphones, I would recommend these. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #58 of 136
598s crush ever aspect of the momentum except for sound leakage

Portability?
Fashion?
High grade materials?

You didn't really think this through before posting, did you?

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #59 of 136
Don't you guys thing that this thread is comparing apples to oranges? Closed back to open back are in different worlds and should have different expectations and applications. Just say'in.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #60 of 136
  Don't you guys thing that this thread is comparing apples to oranges? Closed back to open back are in different worlds and should have different expectations and applications. Just say'in.
biggrin.gif

You are probably right, but the matter of fact was that I had money for one pair of headphones and wanted to see the pro's and cons of both these headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back