Sennheiser HD598 vs Momentum
Dec 9, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #31 of 136
Depends on your taste, the Momentums are more relaxed and laidback sounding withh deeper bass and a smoother treble, the HD25 II is more aggresive in sound with more treble and more bass kick. 

How does the momentum compare to the hd380? I heard the sound stage is way better on the 380 and still has great bass. I don't want the hd25 due to the on ear factor and am not concerned about the 598's. I own them and love them, however they are not ideal for every where due to open design so I stick with those for home listening. The 380's are going for less than half the price of the momentum at $130, but I am willing to spend more if the momentum overshadows their ability to produce quality sound. Any thoughts?

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #32 of 136
about the HD598 vs the momentum:

Comfort wise, HD598 is the clear winner, huge soft earpads, super deep earcups, while the momentum earpads are rather small, you might run the risk of wearing them as an on ear instead of an over ear.

Sound performance too the HD598 wins with its expansive airyness to its sound with a better soundstage. The momentums have deeper more impactful bass (though not too much) while the HD598 has a more gentle neutral bass.

Sound presentation, the HD598 is very relaxing and immersive with its laidback sound, the momentums are more fun sounding and engaging.

Imo the momentums lose out in sound quality performance (but you could like its more fun signature too) simply cause they are made with the intention to be used unamped on the streets as a nice looking portable headphone for the consumer market (which also sounds good) while the other pair is made with audiophiles in mind.

hope this helps:wink:

I fully agree. I absolutely love them both but if I had to choose only one to keep it would be the HD598.

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #33 of 136
I've purchased the momentums this weekend, I like the sound very much but comfortwise they are not that great in my opinion. The ear cups are a lot smaller as I had expected and they do get a bit uncomfortable over time and your ears will get a bit warm(I thought I had pretty smal ears but appearantly not small enough for a comfortable fit). I am now considering returning these and getting the HD598. Though I am not sure how these would sound unamped which is quite important as I am planning to use them straight out of my iphone/ipad/receiver. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #34 of 136
  I've purchased the momentums this weekend, I like the sound very much but comfortwise they are not that great in my opinion. The ear cups are a lot smaller as I had expected and they do get a bit uncomfortable over time and your ears will get a bit warm(I thought I had pretty smal ears but appearantly not small enough for a comfortable fit). I am now considering returning these and getting the HD598. Though I am not sure how these would sound unamped which is quite important as I am planning to use them straight out of my iphone/ipad/receiver. 

Yeah the Sennheiser Momentum are ok but not great. You should be careful with returning a lot of items a lot of stores will blacklist you if you return to much.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #36 of 136
Niels Meijer,

I like the sound HD598s unamped straight from an iPhone, iPad, or my laptop.
They are priced nicely at Frys, although supply is currently limited to stock at their stores.
Look at their Web site and the current Deals thread here for mentions of deals.

The HD598s are very comfortable, they sound good, and are priced right.
I like their looks. The cord is a little long for wearing these outside; but, you can carry the extra length with not that much bother for occasional use while walking. Other headphones are out there for more extensive portable use.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #37 of 136

Same problem here guys...

I have a pair of momentums and a pair of hd25's. The hd25's are not very comfortbale but i am considering selling my over ear momentums because although i love their sound they are not ver......over ear... i have 67 mm ears and i cannot get a good seal on the right side when i turn my head and this is pretty noticeable on the bass.

I am keeping the hd25's for all round use and considering a pair of hd598's or akg k550's for home use....

What do you guys recomend?

I mostly listen to pop rock, indie and edm and i only have a 4th gen ipod touch and my nexus 7 to use my headphones (no amps yet and i was not planning to get any to be honest....)

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #38 of 136
I have a pair of foam modded HD558's which sound very close to the HD598's (same driver) as well as a pair of Momentums.

Sennheiser make a cord for the 558/598 that is shorter and terminates in a smartphone/DAP friendly 3.5mm plug. It's $12.95 + shipping and tax. That's what's attached to my HD558's.

I love both cans. Unless I had a explicit need for closed back cans, If I had to pick only one, I'd go for the HD558's. The Momentums barely make it around my ears and can get a bit uncomfortable after 1/2 hour. The HD558's are very comfortable and sound better, although the bass isn't pushed up a bit as in the Momentums. You might consider getting the HD558's and save some moolah. The foam mod is very easy and takes but a few minutes to get done.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #42 of 136
but the HD 650 is the open back higher fidelity larger ear cup version of the Momentum

HD650 is a version of the Momentum? The HD650 sounds different, has a wider soundstage, is 300 Ohms thus needs amping and costs more.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #43 of 136
The HD 650 has a wider soundstage. More power needed to drive it. But it is on the warm side of neutral like the momentum. It is a little thicker perhaps in the bass like the momentum. It is slightly rolled off on top like the Momentum.

so it's just my opinion, but if you like the Momentum but want something that surrounds your ears better, you might like the HD 650. With a good amp and source of course.

maybe it would be better to say that the Sennheiser Momentum is like a portable HD 650 Junior

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #44 of 136
I dont want to spend a lot of money. I got my momentums for 160 euros here in Portugal and i am selling them for the exact same price.

My options right now are:

AKG K550 for 160 euros new here in Portugal or around this price on any eruopean amazon...

Sennheiser hd598 in Mint condition, with box, with only a few months and recipt for warranty for 110 euros (they usually cost no less than 170 new on amazon).

(I was offered a deal involving the v-moda m80's plus 50 euros but naaaaaaa........)

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #45 of 136
  Ok, so just two responses so far, but I'm leaning toward the 598s... sounds more like what I'm looking for in a stay at home, do it all headphone. Also, I just measure the height of my ears and they're 650mm, which sounds like it could potentially be a problem for the Momentum's small cups.

Of course, I could order both and just return the one I like least. But I don't want to splash out that much right now, even if I'd get it back soonish. And I hate returning stuff (I'm lazy). Well, I'll wait and see if more advice comes in. Anyone else? Any Momentum fans out there?

Likewise, any Denon or Beyerdynamic cans under $400 that can compete with the Senn 598s on fidelity AND comfort? I know nothing about those brands except the names, and that they make good stuff on the high end.

$225 plus tax w/free shipping for the HD 598 is starting to sound appealing...

beyer DT990pro compete very well against HD598, both in price and SQ. Cups are a bit shallower on 990pro so if your ears stick out comfort crown goes to HD598. Overall SQ I give the 990pro but that is a matter of subjective taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back