Sennheiser HD598, are they?
Mar 8, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #31 of 48
^Agreed.

Perhaps amping is a key part in hearing that grain? My PC360 is always ran out of a Mixamp, which while being a gaming amp, IS an amp. The HD598 was ran out of my Mixamp as well as my E9 for music use.

The HD598 in particular begged for an amp. Maybe ampless is the 'problem'.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #32 of 48

Quote:
What makes this time so different from 595 and 555? I mean sennheiser still didn't bother to fix the cracking on the housing of the new 598 and 558...

If you want to know the truth about something, spend money
wink.gif

Honestly?  That's the first thing I thought of when I heard about the 558 and 598. "Surely they would have fixed the major cracking issues they were having on the 555 and 595."  Sounds like an epic failure on their part.  I don't understand why they would want to continue to lose money in result of consumers consistently sending in headphones for replacement sets. 

What is your basis for saying they didn't fix it?  Do you have a set that cracked, and/or did you hear about someone else's problem?

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #33 of 48

Quote:

Honestly?  That's the first thing I thought of when I heard about the 558 and 598. "Surely they would have fixed the major cracking issues they were having on the 555 and 595."  Sounds like an epic failure on their part.  I don't understand why they would want to continue to lose money in result of consumers consistently sending in headphones for replacement sets. 

What is your basis for saying they didn't fix it?  Do you have a set that cracked, and/or did you hear about someone else's problem?

See this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/541039/sennheiser-hd-598-appreciation-thread

Sennheiser has admitted the problem, offers a replacement to those affected and fixed it on newer release HD598's.

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #34 of 48

Quote:
Thanks for the real world facts. This alone is enough to lead me to believe that simply removing the sticky foam wouldn't magically turn the 558 into a 598. The sound of a headphone isn't just a driver and some foam. Everything has a part including pads and housing

Now how close can the 558 sound like the 598? Let's see who is fanatic enough to let us know in a real side by side test.

Mike's impressions on Headfonia of a modded 558 compared to a stock 598 still convinces me the differences are small and still pointless to get the 598; the better value is easily the 558. He gives me the impression that the differences are as small as a Grado SR60 vs a SR80

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #35 of 48
I've done a lot of side by side between the 558 and 598.  It is absolutely true about the grill differences that cannot be remedied w/o a dremel.  Other than that basically identical.  The sonic difference that I hear going from foam mod 558 to stock 598 is a slightly bit more air, separation, detail contrast and wider SS.  The stock 558 has more forward mids,a bit more warmth and overall more euphonic than the 598 but for something like classical the 598 is much better.  I've been contemplating modding the 558 grill and relaying the skin but I'm not sure yet if the difference is worth the time and effort.  Fyi, I hated the 555/595 but love the 558/598.

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #36 of 48

Quote:
I've done a lot of side by side between the 558 and 598.  It is absolutely true about the grill differences that cannot be remedied w/o a dremel.  Other than that basically identical.  The sonic difference that I hear going from foam mod 558 to stock 598 is a slightly bit more air, separation, detail contrast and wider SS.  The stock 558 has more forward mids,a bit more warmth and overall more euphonic than the 598 but for something like classical the 598 is much better.  I've been contemplating modding the 558 grill and relaying the skin but I'm not sure yet if the difference is worth the time and effort.  Fyi, I hated the 555/595 but love the 558/598.

That would make two people who hate the HD 595. I keep the HD 558 and have the HD 595 returned without any regret. Would like to have the HD 598 for my collection but there is (are) report(s) that the HD 598 crack as bad as the HD 5XX series. Pretty crapty for Senn to cut corner to make extra penny on junk plastic made in China.

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #37 of 48
The cracking is all fixed. Senn are replacing any cracked units and have remedied the problem at manufacturing stage.  

Now they'd like a public apology from you for that last remark.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:
The cracking is all fixed. Senn are replacing any cracked units and have remedied the problem at manufacturing stage.

Source?

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #39 of 48

Quote:

Its on one of the 598 threads I think.  It's for a 'new' crack location.  Center of the headband on the 598.  Not the typical ear cup crack all the others get. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #40 of 48
"Originally Posted by Rosmadi Mahmood 

Quote:

Here in Sennheiser, our products need to pass through stringent quality tests before they are released to the market. However, there may be instances where a small batch of products may still suffer some undesired quality issues. In this case, we've heard of customers writing in about cracks on their HD 598 headbands. But this does not mean that all units of HD 598 that we've produced will crack after a few days of usage.

Nevertheless, we've decided to act on this by changing the material to improve and make it even better. And you may rest assure that we'll stand by our 2-year warranty claim. So long as you bring in your HD 598 with your receipt / proof of purchase to our service centres, we'll provide you with a replacement unit. 

Cheers!"

From the HD598 Appreciation thread. Merely refers to "headbands", but Senn knows the nature of the problem.  

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #41 of 48

Quote:

Now they'd like a public apology from you for that last remark.
tongue_smile.gif

My public apology will be announced at proper time. For now, let's keep it is as what it is. I have the HD 558 and I use them occasionally . I want to see how long it takes for me to see some cracks.

Do you think Senn give a crap about my remark?
eek.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #43 of 48

Quote:

When I checked, 558 went for around $175-ish online.  I've got my 598 from JR.com for $170 plus shipping this month; you just have to call them to get the price.  To me, it's no brainer, especially I'm lazy, nor have the skill.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #44 of 48

Quote:
When I checked, 558 went for around $175-ish online.  I've got my 598 from JR.com for $170 plus shipping this month; you just have to call them to get the price.  To me, it's no brainer, especially I'm lazy, nor have the skill.

Well, you didn't ask them about pricing the 558 apparently.   

May 4, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #45 of 48
To answer the original question - IMHO they aint.
Spent a week with them, returning today.
They are 'nice' looking, they sound better than Koss PortaPro and, while unamped, they are at least as good as any phones I have. When amped, HD 598 are even better, and clearly better than my lesser phones. They are possibly on a par with DT 770 Pro (250), but still nowhere near K 701 or DT 880/600('05). But of course you cannot really use the last three unamped at all.
So HD 598 are really good unamped and still better when amped. As such they have an obvious niche.
The downside is that unamped they are not considerably better than old HD 515. Or Sony V6. Different, somewhat better, but not worth the outlay. Amped HD 598 are better than those two, but I already have headphones which I like considerably better when amped.
Moreover, apart from the grilles and cable, the build quality of HD 515 and 598 is substantially the same. All main elements are made of the same type of plastic. OK, HD 598 have metal grilles, I give them that, but that's about it. Who on Earth cares for fake wood and pleather and/or leatherette?? I did not mind the colour scheme, but given the materials it is not stylish, but rather tacky. And just try to extrapolate the traces of wear of HD 515 (or 555 or 595 for that) on creamy HD 598, - they do not develop patina, they start looking shabby in a year or two.
Finally, one of the reasons for new headphones was to use them with MP3 language course material - and for speech I actually prefer HD 515. So HD 515 and possibly PortaPro will have to do as the language course "workhorse".
However, I kind of enjoyed Senn sound, so I am getting HD 600 while I can (Amazon.fr for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back