Sennheiser HD598 Alternate? Head, Neck Pain
Jan 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

macaddicted

Head-Fier
After spending time lurking around the threads I went ahead and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD598s. I like the sound overall, but they are causing me pain. I have rheumatoid arthritis and they're killing my neck. Add to that the pain from the headband and I don't think I can keep them. I've tried all sorts of angles, heights and even had them on reversed. No matter what I try I can't seem to get a pain free fit.

I'm not sure if the overall weight is going to be an issue regardless of what I choose in this class of headphone. I do have a set of TF10s. I don't like the sound through the Comply foams and need to be able to hear the world about me, thus the open cans.

These are the first good pair of open, over the ear headphones I've owned so I'm not married to a particular sound. Frankly comfort is most important. As above I'd prefer open cans to closed. I'm listening from my iPhone 4 and iPod Classic through a PA2V2 (though that might change; I'm still experimenting there). My music tends to more mainstream pop/rock, say James Taylor up to Aerosmith. I'd like to stay under $200; I got these from Amazon for about $170 US. 

Thanks for any advice.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 16
If any weight causes pain, most big headphones will likely have the same result.  Maybe you could look into IEM (inner ear monitors).  These fit in your ears and weigh almost nothing.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 16
Sorry about your pain. It's hard to gauge what sort of headphone would work for you. Even under normal circumstances, comfort is a relative thing and we all have different shaped noggins and ears. Something like the AD700 might feel better.  It's designed to put minimal pressure on the ears, but there's still going to be weight borne by your neck. If possible, you should find a store where you can demo things (not so easy) or hit up a local Head-Fi meet.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 16
HD598 is a relatively light headphone, in fact one of the most comfortable set I've owned.

Maybe look into Yuin earbuds? They don't block noise like the IEMs do. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 16
I went back to my "shopping list" and the AD700s are on it, but yes I do worry about the weight. I'd read about the HD598 headband but the neck pain surprised me. I'm sending the Sennheisers back, unfortunately, so I might try the AD700s. I like the TF10s, but I would really prefer a "regular" headphone.

I had come back to drop a question about the AD700s, but you beat me to it.

I suppose I could consider on ear headphones too, if it's worth it sound wise.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 16
If you're having issues with the 598s I'm afraid you probably won't have much joy with full size headphones.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 16
Don't the 598's have a bit of a death clamp?  One thing to try before sending them back would be to set them on top of your head, rotated 90 about 90 degrees forwards or backwards so that they can just sit there resting on nothing but your crown.  If that still causes pain, it must be the weight.  

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 16
I tried swapping it, it hurts both ways. I've since bought a pair of ATH-AD700s and they don't hurt nearly as much. Not perfectly comfortable but not painful enough that I can't use them. I liked the sound of the 598s more so I'm going to try a pair of the HD 25-1 IIs. I know about the clamping on the HD 25s, but they are lighter and have the split headband. Given that the AD700s are wearable, and don't press on the crown of my head, I'm guessing that my problem is how the weight of the headphones is distributed. I'll see when they arrive.

Thanks again for the replies. Mine is a rather particular problem and I do appreciate the feedback.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 16
A quick update. I've fallen in love with the Senn HD 25s, though I swear my head is getting squeezed into a narrower shape.

Without having tried any other headsets I believe that my problem had something to do with the way the weight of the headphones is transferred across the top of my head. Neither the HD 25 nor the AD700 put weight on the very top of the head.

Again thanks for the help.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #12 of 16
The HD598's were comfortable, for about 5 minutes. Again, it's a situation particular to me with my rheumatoid arthritis. If not for that I'd never have sent them back. I still prefer the HD-25s to the UE TF10 and SF5s that I have. I've figured out how to position the split headband so wearing them doesn't hurt, and the overall sound experience is better.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 16
Mac, I have had the hd555's and now 598's.  Both caused me neck pain, and its only on the right side of my neck, seems to start around my shoulder blade and work up into my lower head.  Is this what you had? like a headache type throbbing pain?

anyway, I never liked the 555's sound, and sold them.  Wanted to try the 598's and like you enjoy their sound a lot, and thought i could adjust them to fit me better than i had on my 555's, no luck.

I really want to try the hd25's, do your ears get sore from the clamping of them? I don't have RA like you, but am still "happy" to find someone else who has this neck problem with 598's.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 16
My pain was along my spine, where my neck met the bottom of my head. The HD 25s haven't been a problem for clamping. I don't wear them for more than a couple hours at a time so I can't comment on how bad they would be for extended wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back