Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #871 of 980
I guess he is missing a phat bass foundation.
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #872 of 980

Quote:

Could you elaborate?

I cant quite out my finger on it, but the headphones sounded too shallow.  I also found the mids to be weird and annoying, and like I said before, the headphones just didn't have enough punch.

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #873 of 980
^To each his own I suppose. Amping them helps some though.

Anyway, I just pulled the trigger on a xonar essence stx. I can't wait to see how the cans scale with a better dac and amp.

Cheers

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #874 of 980
Another thumbs up for the 595s. Been on a pair for over a year now. I must admit I have never used them without an amp, but as an entry pair of headphones, these are on the borderline to the next level up. I listen to almost nothing but rock, noise, and electronic music. They work well beyond most cans.

If you're worried about pulling/stressing the cable, simply wrap it once around the band as a stress relief. Trust me. It will save you one day.

And yes, I plan on upgrading to the 650's next...

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #875 of 980

Quote:
^To each his own I suppose. Amping them helps some though.

Anyway, I just pulled the trigger on a xonar essence stx. I can't wait to see how the cans scale with a better dac and amp.

Cheers

Eargasm!

L3000.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #876 of 980
Hey guys,
I just bought 595's. It's been couple of days. I'm listening my music from my laptop. And I'm not satisfied enough with the music I hear. I'm thinking of buying  this sound card : http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-HD/M/B004275EO4.htm
Does anyone know about it ? Or is there a better choice at this price ?
Thanks

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #878 of 980
I don't know that box. You might want to ask in the computer audio forum.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #879 of 980
Hello all -
I recently received my Senn 595s and love them. After only 5 hours of burn in they sound AMAZING! I am excited to join the club as I am new to this community (after TONS of research), yet have managed to purchase 2 headphones and 2 amps in a very short amount of time. Looks like the "sorry about your wallet" comments came true.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #880 of 980
Hey all,

I've been eyeing the HD595's for a while now and have noticed Amazon dropped the price on these to $139.99 USD (they were $165 a few days ago).  After reading the entirety of this thread, they seem like the right cans for me so I went ahead and ordered.  I'm pretty eager to try them out to say the least.  There are a few things I read that I found a little puzzling:

Some people have said you need a decent amp to drive these to their full potential.  Obviously, that's a given for most headphones but considering the age of this thread, I'm guessing they meant the older 120-ohm version of the HD595's?  Which leads me to this question:

I recently purchased a new computer and am currently using motherboard audio.  I was looking to upgrade to a soundcard when I saw this:

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=FiWODUF4uhiJVJKD&templete=2 

It's a soundcard with a built-in headphone amp.  And it's selling for an eyebrow-raising price of $30.00 on newegg.  With the $10 mail-in rebate, that makes the final price $20.  What's even more striking is the fact that apparently, Xonar's are some of the best soundcards on the market with quote "over 150 awards".  According to the reviews I've read (read all of them), this card is legit and the real deal.  The only thing is none of the reviews go into much detail about the headphone amp itself.  Like, it would be nice if we could get a A/B comparison between a un-amped soundcard and this.  The only thing I read is it's a Texas Instruments' DRV601RTJR "amp" and it can handle up to 150 ohms of impedance.

Anyone care to share some thoughts on this?  It sounds like a no-brainer upgrade to me; a little more oomph to my new HD595's would be nice.

Also, does anyone else think it's a little impractical to re-cable the HD595's?  I mean, I know copper prices have gone up but it's still by far the most plentiful and used element on Earth.  iunno, I just feel like they are charging a heck of a premium for copper cables.  With the amount of money you spend on a cable job, you could practically upgrade to a higher tier of Sennheisers (like the HD-600 series).  I mean wouldn't that make more sense?  Call me a idiot but, aren't the 600 series universally accepted as being "better" then the 500 series?

Anyways, like I said I'm very eager to test out these 595's.  They seem like a hugely popular headphone and at $139.99, that's a real bargain.  I'll drop a review off sometime next month.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #882 of 980
Just got my 595s for christmas, they sound fantastic, except that they sound rather dark and the treble is a hair rolled off, is there any way i can "decolor" the mids from being as dark as they are?

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #883 of 980
I saw the new price on Amazon too. 
That is a great price for these headphones.

You get the extra headphone clip stand, which I really like.
At the new price, it's kind of not worth modding the HD-555 to save money. 
Plus, you keep the resale value of the HD-595 by being untouched vs. modding the 555.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back