Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #901 of 980
I won't comment on the looks of the AT as that isn't its worst aspect for me. It IS bright to my ears, unacceptably so, but what turned me off was a coarseness, a really grainy quality such as you usually only hear with cheap rubbish phones. It obviously only shows up on some music (classical in my case) as plenty of people love this phone and consider it superior to the 595--a mind-boggling concept to me. I consider the two in a completely different class, the 595 being vastly more neutral and accurate. I no longer read 595 v. 700 threads as I tend to break sundry things around the desk while doing so, and it gets expensive.

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #902 of 980
Pardon the off topic question, do you know if the hd650 and 595 drivers are interchangeable? I saw you can buy cartridges for the 650 on some obscure online locations, so I'm curious if it would be possible and/or cost effective to do an "upgrade" later on.

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #904 of 980
I am aware that they are completely different, but could the 650 drivers fit inside the 595?

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #906 of 980
Without actually trying it (I have both) I seriously doubt it as the 650 drivers appear to be larger. No doubt they're also a different fixing. But why would you want to use drivers outside their design parameters like that? I don't get it. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #907 of 980
The same reason why people put those lawton woods on their Denons or turn Beyerdynamics into Darth Beyers.
Except in this situation, both housings were made by the same company that employs engineers and not hobbyists. 

Quote:
But why would you want to use drivers outside their design parameters like that? I don't get it. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #908 of 980
Well in addition to the possibility of saving a buck, I like to open things up and modify them, I havent gotten a chance to do so with a pair of cans yet, and I figured that if I ever upgrade to a nice set, I could screw around with my 595s.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #909 of 980

Quote:
Well in addition to the possibility of saving a buck, I like to open things up and modify them, I havent gotten a chance to do so with a pair of cans yet, and I figured that if I ever upgrade to a nice set, I could screw around with my 595s.

Well, let's hope "screw" isn't the operative word.
redface.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #910 of 980

Quote:
The same reason why people put those lawton woods on their Denons or turn Beyerdynamics into Darth Beyers.

The difference from my perspective being that if I (still) owned Denon or Beyers I would want to do all I could to help their performance, whereas to me the 595 and 650 are just fine as they are. 

Cross-pollination would just ruin two fine species.
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #911 of 980
i'm new here, not an audiophile and have been lurking for the past 2 weeks deciding on a starter can, etc. I finally ended up buying the 595 @ around 139, before they dropped in price and also bought a NuForce uDAC2. Out of the box the 595 sounded fairly thin so I burned them in with about 36 hours of regular music and 20 hours of pink noise. So far, I've noticed they've improved in warmth and overall sound quality, hopefully with a few hundred more hours of playing, they sound will improve more. I'm happy with my first pair of Hi-Fi cans thus far. Hope to learn a lot more from this forum

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #912 of 980
Got a question for all you HD595ers. I am really interesting in getting these, but of course apprehensive at the same time (I am with all purchases over $50). I am coming from a lovely pair of Grado SR80i, and want to take a stab at a different brand. My question is, how does the bass on the 595 compare to the bass on 80i? I find the bass to be really great on the 80i, and couldn't deal with much less or I'd feel like a was downgrading. I am no bass head, but I would like to be able to at least hear some bass 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #913 of 980

Theres a graph for the SR80 vs. the HD598 which is similar to, but not exactly like, the 595 as far as frequency response is concerned, from memory, the graph on the 595 had a bit more bass than that to it (but that graph is gone now). Less roll off on the bass, the treble is weaker on the 595, but its really not as bad as the graph may make it out to be, and the highs sound nice anyway.

Anyway, I'll allow you to judge for yourself which one you would prefer because i have not heard the sr80, so im not going to say anything else about it.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #914 of 980

Quote:

Theres a graph for the SR80 vs. the HD598 which is similar to, but not exactly like, the 595 as far as frequency response is concerned, from memory, the graph on the 595 had a bit more bass than that to it (but that graph is gone now). Less roll off on the bass, the treble is weaker on the 595, but its really not as bad as the graph may make it out to be, and the highs sound nice anyway.

Anyway, I'll allow you to judge for yourself which one you would prefer because i have not heard the sr80, so im not going to say anything else about it.

Thanks for the info! I am going to stop looking for reasons to not pull the trigger, and just do it already. I have to wait a couple weeks for the money, however. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back