Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #886 of 980

Quote:
Just got my 595s for christmas, they sound fantastic, except that they sound rather dark and the treble is a hair rolled off, is there any way i can "decolor" the mids from being as dark as they are?

The 595 is a surprisingly neutral phone--that is, uncoloured. This is one of the reasons people complain about them being "boring" and lacking "punch". I suggest you continue listening and compare the sound not to the memory of your last phone or all the phones before but to the last time you heard live music. If that was a long time ago, get out and listen again. There's nothing especially dark about the 595 mids and as for the treble, the 595 is the brightest of the upper end Senn phones.   

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #887 of 980
I think part of the reason why they sound like this is because in the end I EQ'd my e2c to boost the treble because it was, IMO, extremely veiled, but in order to completely "unveil" it I had to pull the bass down a bit, so the mids were fairly bright. I guess then this would explain why the bass on the 595s sounds excessively heavy, and the mids sound so dark, which only helps half of my music library or so.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #888 of 980
You mean they sound bad because you buggered them up with EQ? Oh, okay....

Fact is, EQ won't help with the 595. If you were talking about the Beyer 880 or Denon D2000 I'd say sure, that might help, but the 595 is extremely balanced out of the box and EQing will only get you in trouble. The problem is not the 595, but that you're obviously used to more coloured phones and you're still craving those colourations, like excess treble. As I say, this is why so many people call them boring, but phones aren't supposed to be exciting, the music is. Phones are supposed to be neutral, to allow you to judge the quality of the recording. Give yourself time. Get used to the 595 and you'll wonder how you could ever have listened to those other phones.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #889 of 980
Well they seem to have brightened up a bit since i got them, initially, the guitars all sounded to be drop tuned down another four notes or so, now they sound to be EXACTLY where they belong, and even still, I didnt complete dislike the sound, they went beyond my expectations regardless. Now however, after properly adjusting my headband, and familiarizing myself with the cirumnaural design, I can not find a flaw in these headphones. And you are very right abut the phones needing to be neutral, musicians in the studio use relatively balanced headphones, they tweak the recordings to sound ideal on those, anything other than that is sub-ideal. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #890 of 980
Well, looks like my work here is done. 
beerchug.gif

At least, until the usual suspects come along and assure our friend that 595s are crap and he should have bought an AT AD700. Shouldn't be too long now. (tick..tick..tick..)

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #891 of 980
I've seen the graphs on the AD700, as much as I'd hate to go based on a graph, those headphones just look awful, sound wise, and visually, honestly, the Hd595s, even if they dont sound as good, were worth avoiding the embarassment of having.... those, lying on my desk.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #892 of 980
^ lol.

headphone wars? ^^

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #893 of 980

Quote:
I've seen the graphs on the AD700, as much as I'd hate to go based on a graph, those headphones just look awful, sound wise, and visually, honestly, the Hd595s, even if they dont sound as good, were worth avoiding the embarassment of having.... those, lying on my desk.

Could you explain this post, because I don't get it at all.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #894 of 980

Quote:
Quote:

Could you explain this post, because I don't get it at all.

I think he's trying to say the AD700 is butt-ugly.

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #895 of 980
Sadly this is the last time ill be posting in Sennheiser thread for awhile id say. As much as i enjoy Sennheiser products and think the IE8's are the best IEM's i have come across, I have retired the 595's. After all the anaemic sound and lack of bass i just couldnt listen to them any longer, i was supremely dissapointed because i thought at that point in the headphone lineup of their products it would have sounded alot more than what it is. Further points i didnt like are the hugely long straight cord with no option of a coiled one or replaceable cord, the cord ending in a 1/4 and having to use a adapter for 3.5mm stuck out my gear so much i thought it would snap off, the limited movement of the cups. As a positive accept i do have to say though that the comfort was amazing, barely felt like i was wearing headphones and thats the truth, sad thing is the same could be said of the sound

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #896 of 980
ph34r.gif

Not even gonna say anything. 
You know this is the appreciation thread right?

Quote:
... I have retired the 595's. After all the anaemic sound and lack of bass i just couldnt listen to them any longer, i was supremely dissapointed because i thought at that point in the headphone lineup of their products it would have sounded alot more than what it is. Further points i didnt like are the hugely long straight cord with no option of a coiled one or replaceable cord, the cord ending in a 1/4 and having to use a adapter for 3.5mm stuck out my gear so much i thought it would snap off, the limited movement of the cups. As a positive accept i do have to say though that the comfort was amazing, barely felt like i was wearing headphones and thats the truth, sad thing is the same could be said of the sound

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #897 of 980

Quote:
ph34r.gif

Not even gonna say anything. 
You know this is the appreciation thread right?

Quote:
... I have retired the 595's. After all the anaemic sound and lack of bass i just couldnt listen to them any longer, i was supremely dissapointed because i thought at that point in the headphone lineup of their products it would have sounded alot more than what it is. Further points i didnt like are the hugely long straight cord with no option of a coiled one or replaceable cord, the cord ending in a 1/4 and having to use a adapter for 3.5mm stuck out my gear so much i thought it would snap off, the limited movement of the cups. As a positive accept i do have to say though that the comfort was amazing, barely felt like i was wearing headphones and thats the truth, sad thing is the same could be said of the sound

Haha. Good job! I'm proud of you!
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #898 of 980

I don't see why.
The sign clearly says "Sennheiser haters get out."
I've always been mindful of OP.  
Now, if there was a post that said "Beats haters get out" and someone came looking for trouble,
that might be considered trolling.

I appreciate the sentiment, regardless.

Quote:
Haha. Good job! I'm proud of you!
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #899 of 980
Hello! I am a brand new 595 owner.  I in fact just picked a set up from amazon for $115.  I had actually purchased the 555s and was going to do the foam mod but at this price I decided to sell the 555s to a friend who had been drooling over them.  I am pretty excited to get this and give some ear time. Ill post some impression after ive given them a go. 

-Chris  

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #900 of 980
pp312 - The graphs for the Ad700 depicted a severely rolled off bass, which I dont want, and just looking at the graphs one should assume those are some seriously bright cans. 

As for the way they look physically, I see them, I get this mental image of a bunch of guys in the design department trying to get fired/trying to see how much crap their customers are willing to take before no one buys their products. The AD700, for me at least, cross that line of "ugly enough to justify not buying". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back