Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #136 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, I'm listening to Grados for the first time, and I don't see why people say that 595s are not good for rock!!!! The 595s have the bass and highs. I guess some people just don't like any soundstage. To me, the 595s have perfect range: both in soundstage and tonality.

Im listening my new (actually it has about 50 hours of burn-in) HD595, and i can STILL see errr hear very well why its not ideal for hard rock. Distorted guitars have noticeable "veil" like in highs overall, like some notes of its overdrive vibration is smoothened, and cymbals are unrealistically softened. (cymbals ARE incredibly sibilant instruments! In real life, it does "punches needles" thru ears with strong ssssshhhh)

But classical and ambient... MUCH better than my SR-225 and AKG K240S. I love it.
icon10.gif
Overall sound is unrealistic for what instruments really sound like, but its still excellent!

Nov 17, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #137 of 980
Maza, have you compared the SR-60 to the SR-225? Just comparing the 595 to the SR-60s, I'm liking my 595s a lot more....mainly because of the definition in mids. I guess the soundstage with the 595 might be a bit distracting for some....but the definition seems there (on my system at least). The Grados just don't seem as refined, so they dont' seem as exciting. Realize the drivers for the 225s would be completely different and probably many times better.

You'll probably chime in the thread I've just started about this....I'm thinking I'd better forego the MS-1 in favor of the 225: my ears really aren't that sensitive coming from Sennheiser
wink.gif
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im listening my new (actually it has about 50 hours of burn-in) HD595, and i can STILL see errr hear very well why its not ideal for hard rock. Distorted guitars have noticeable "veil" like in highs overall, like some notes of its overdrive vibration is smoothened, and cymbals are unrealistically softened. (cymbals ARE incredibly sibilant instruments! In real life, it does "punches needles" thru ears with strong ssssshhhh)

But classical and ambient... MUCH better than my SR-225 and AKG K240S. I love it.
icon10.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #138 of 980
Quote:

Maza, have you compared the SR-60 to the SR-225? Just comparing the 595 to the SR-60s, I'm liking my 595s a lot more....mainly because of the definition in mids. I guess the soundstage with the 595 might be a bit distracting for some....but the definition seems there (on my system at least). The Grados just don't seem as refined, so they dont' seem as exciting. Realize the drivers for the 225s would be completely different and probably many times better.

You'll probably chime in the thread I've just started about this....I'm thinking I'd better forego the MS-1 in favor of the 225: my ears really aren't that sensitive coming from Sennheiser
wink.gif
eggosmile.gif

No, i havent compared them. However, Bowl pads that are standard with SR225 help the soundstage. Its still small, but instrument separation is top notch. Lots of definition and clarity in my book. Just EQ the subbass up (in SR225 that is if you get one) and then sound is rocking!
cool.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #139 of 980
I'll add the 225s in my wish list of what to listen to....with all your recommendations of it, I'd better be blown away though
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, i havent compared them. However, Bowl pads that are standard with SR225 help the soundstage. Its still small, but instrument separation is top notch. Lots of definition and clarity in my book. Just EQ the subbass up (in SR225 that is if you get one) and then sound is rocking!
cool.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #140 of 980
Quote:

I'll add the 225s in my wish list of what to listen to....with all your recommendations of it, I'd better be blown away though
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I errr ehhhehe... i hope you will. For my sake.
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #141 of 980
Davesrose, SR60 and MS1 don't really compete with HD595. You'll have to get SR225 to best HD595 at rock. I still prefer HD595 for it's versatility.

Maza, turn it up!
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #142 of 980
Maza has chimed in another thread where he says that he's found a heavy metal genre that he likes the 595 for.........I think he's slowly turning to the dark side
wink.gif
600smile.gif

It does look like I'd better try a true Grado for harder rock. Have you tried the 325 spike33? I am deciding on the 225 or 325.....thinking the 325 just because of it's bigger bass and the treble extension (though I guess some Grado people don't even like it....what...such a thing as too much brightness?
wink.gif
) Well also the 325 also looks better....

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Davesrose, SR60 and MS1 don't really compete with HD595. You'll have to get SR225 to best HD595 at rock. I still prefer HD595 for it's versatility.

Maza, turn it up!
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #143 of 980
I cannot wait to hear these sometime on next Wednesday or Thursday. I have heard so many good things about this pair of headphones.

On a side note, is it ethcial sell a pair of nearly two year old but in great condition with no problems triports to a friend for around $40? I mean he liked the sound. Which means don't let him listen to my other headphones at all.

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #144 of 980
Quote:

Maza has chimed in another thread where he says that he's found a heavy metal genre that he likes the 595 for.........I think he's slowly turning to the dark side

NEVER!!! Consider this love for Sennheiser in Funeral doom a hidden sin or something.
tongue.gif

Senns are still too dark and slow for most metal genres. Davesrose, try this song with HD650 and HD595 and compare it with SR60, or preferably SR225/SR325 if you get one.
http://www.hateeternal.com/audio/02....ld%20Judas.mp3

Riff patterns are really hard to listen under the mayhem of drums with HD595, but with SR225 its clear as day.
icon10.gif

Most extreme example what i can find in internet ATM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #146 of 980
Hate Eternal is real odd beast. They have very good songs in each album, but also some songs which simply dont open up for me. Behold Judas, Beyond Redemption, King Of All Kings, Catacombs and such a great songs.

Nov 18, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #150 of 980
Guys, I received today the Grado mini adaptor cable (1/4 female to 1/8 male) and so I'm now using it instead of the barrel-type adapter that came with the 595s...

Well believe it or not... The SQ is better than before!!! I have DEFINITELY better bottom end with the grado adapter cable!!! More punch, more bass and I dare to say slightly better dynamics overall... I took a careful look at the stock barrel adapter: the INNER contacts of the female 1/4 jack are NOT gold plated (look into it with a bright light and you'll see yourself)

The grado adapter IS gold plated everywhere instead, in the inner contacts of the female 1/4 jack too... The cable between the two jacks is bigger than the 595's cable too.

So definitely a good buy: not only it places less strain on the amp/source jack but it also gives you better SQ over the standard (crappy I'd say now) supplied adapter!!!
biggrin.gif

Get a grado adapter cable if you are still using the supplied barrel-type stock adapter!!!
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back