Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #151 of 980
Man....I just need to listen to the 325s!!!!! Actually, listening to this with the SR60, it's not that much more impactful then the 595. I believe you that the 225/325 is master of this domain: the 595s are too bass heavy for this....SR60s are just not refined in the mids.

Seems like the extra treble of the 325 would really take the riffs up on this metal. You sure you want to save money for the 650s, and not the 325s Maza?
biggrin.gif
Why not sell a kidney for both??
biggrin.gif

I can't wait to get my DAC1!!!!Will be interesting to see if it can punch up the 595s to be a contender for metal...I have a feeling there's going to be some great synergy (since some think the DAC1 is cold and harsh...great for Senns). One thing I'm learning about synergy is that it's all about extremes. So if I want impactful rock, I think I'm going to go with the brightest Grados. If my ears start bleeding, I'll be a happy camper
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senns are still too dark and slow for most metal genres. Davesrose, try this song with HD650 and HD595 and compare it with SR60, or preferably SR225/SR325 if you get one.
http://www.hateeternal.com/audio/02....ld%20Judas.mp3

Riff patterns are really hard to listen under the mayhem of drums with HD595, but with SR225 its clear as day.
icon10.gif

Most extreme example what i can find in internet ATM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #152 of 980
OK, this is a Sennheiser thread, so I'm gonna swing it away from Grado back the Sennheiser home base!!! Sennheiser sells their corded mini adapter for the 650 through their parts. #092595 Here in the States it's a whoping $4.86

I'm still waiting for mine, because I also ordered HD600 grills for my 580s....and well they seem to be really slow about stocking them. But since it's for the 650, I would assume it must have solid contacts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I received today the Grado mini adaptor cable (1/4 female to 1/8 male) and so I'm now using it instead of the barrel-type adapter that came with the 595s...

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #153 of 980
I own the HD545, HD595, HD600 and HD650.

To my mind, the HD595 sounded awfull comparing them to the other Sennheisers. But then I tried to use an equalizer and after doing this the HD595 sounds really good. I own the 120 Ohm version of the HD595.

In some German forums some people say that the 120 Ohm version is better that the 50 Ohm version.

Speaking to some people at Sennheiser directly, they said to me, that there should be no difference in terms of sound quality between the 50 and 120 Ohm version.

What do you think about the differences comparing the 50/120 ohm versions?

Compared to the HD600 (these cans are still my favorites) the HD595 sounds boring. The HD600 and HD650 do have this sound - I'd like to call it "erotic".

But over all the HD595 have a clear and good sound.

You should know, that I only listen to classical music.

Nov 18, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #154 of 980
Sounds like you don't like the brightness of the 595. I like the HD600 and HD595 equally well. The 595's more upfront nature seems good for certain classical and rock genres. I like the 600s warmness and soundstage for jazz, guitar, and chamber music. But the 595s seem like they're really well balanced. So I think the two headphones complement each other pretty well.

It is amazing how they sound different, yet their drivers are very similar. Their frequency response is almost identical, but the 595s seem brighter just because the drivers are closer to the ear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der Germane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my mind, the HD595 sounded awfull comparing them to the other Sennheisers. But then I tried to use an equalizer and after doing this the HD595 sounds really good. I own the 120 Ohm version of the HD595.

Nov 19, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #155 of 980
I will have never heard any real high end headphone until these come in next Wednesday and considering how I am not yet an audiophile, I am assuming that I will not be annoyed by listening to metal and rock on this headphone right? Will metal and rock sound better on this headphone then my triports?

How many times better will the sound be from these headphones, realistically?

Nov 19, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #156 of 980
IMHO, the 595 is a great high end phone. It's well balanced, so it's good for most rock and classical genres. It's a begining audiophile phone that sounds pretty good from the begining, but will just get better with system upgrades. Other high end phones, like the 600s or Grados, have a particular sound signature that's better for one particular genre. IMHO, the 595s are great for most rock genres, because most rock genres need both brightness and bass. It's only if you listen to extreme metal that the 595s seem a bit too bass heavy. That's where Grado does a lot better.....as Maza has pointed out. Grados tend to be light on the bass and heavy on the brightness....so they'll highlight more of the riffs for heavy metal. That said, the only Grados that seem to be more impactful then the 595s are the 225s on up.

Hence why the only Grados I'm gonna try are either the 225s or 325s!!!

I haven't heard the bose triports.....but given their poor status on this board, the 595s might be 10xs better then them
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #158 of 980
Well I hope they don't disapoint! I haven't listened to the triports, but if it's like any other Bose product, the Bose are pretty light in the bass department, rolled off mids, and has tiny treble (that's the way my dad's old $2000 901 speakers sound at least!). The Sennheiser 580 was my first hi-fi headphone......and I've been an open circumaural fan ever since!!!! Open headphones do sound a lot better IMHO.

Nov 19, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #161 of 980
Quote:

NEVER!!! Consider this love for Sennheiser in Funeral doom a hidden sin or something.
tongue.gif

Senns are still too dark and slow for most metal genres.

The Sennheiser HE60s don't have that problem.
very_evil_smiley.gif

To date they are the only Senns I really like for a wide range of music although I've not heard the HE90. I tend to agree with you on the HD595 though, I could never listen to those for metal.

Nov 19, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #162 of 980
I found mine on ebay for $125.99 plus 9.95 shipping or something like that. 2 weeks ago, the guy had like 15 or 20 pairs. Awesome buy. 50 ohm version in the new box with the pull tab to unlock. I'm still debating on whether to cut the cord shorter and solder on a 3.5mm plug or buy the grado adapter because yes, that stock one sucks. But the hanger is cool
eggosmile.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #163 of 980
Quote:

NEVER!!! Consider this love for Sennheiser in Funeral doom a hidden sin or something.
tongue.gif

I tend to like a lot of the 'Beauty & the Beast' type of metal/goth and dark doom, like theatre of tragedy (before Liv left), tristania, the gathering, diary of dreams, dead can dance ( or anything with Lisa in it), Zoar, therion, wumpscut, Elis, Beseech, black tape for a blue girl, and countless others.....

Nov 22, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #164 of 980
My 595's will arrive tomorrow
biggrin.gif
I'm so psyched.. and I can return them if I don't like them which is a plus also! I just read some complaints on the bass, is it really that bad? Cause I like bass.. but it's not all about it.

Nov 22, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #165 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 595's will arrive tomorrow
biggrin.gif
I'm so psyched.. and I can return them if I don't like them which is a plus also! I just read some complaints on the bass, is it really that bad? Cause I like bass.. but it's not all about it.

I personally don't think the bass on them is that bad. Sure, there's stuff that has stronger bass but it's not like they sound thin. I suspect many saying this are just comparing to something like the HD650 known for their great bass performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back