Sennheiser HD580 Precision
Jul 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Pappy

New Head-Fier
Have had the HD 580's Precision for years.  Had them reconditioned  by Sennheirser . While I have some other headphones these are the winners.  Use them with a Little Dot MK 111 headphone amp.  Considering upgrading the cable to a Cardas 20' but the cost is more then the phones are worth ($364).  I hear it is a great improvement but don't want to incur the expense without being assured of the results.  Anybody have any experience in this regard?

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 13
How about you just buy newer headphones? There is a reason why they make newer models

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 13
If you generally like the sound of the HD580/600 the upgrade is the HD800.

They have slightly better detail, soundstage, and imaging. In reality its pretty small. 

Quote:
How about you just buy newer headphones? There is a reason why they make newer models

I think he was looking for a recommendation of what to buy. 

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
If you generally like the sound of the HD580/600 the upgrade is the HD800.

They have slightly better detail, soundstage, and imaging. In reality its pretty small. 

I think he was looking for a recommendation of what to buy. 

He asked on if a recable would help the headphones.

1. Re-cable are said to better the SQ, False. This is only true if you can use Silver cable with silver solder and a pro job soldering. Which, unless you have worked 20+ years soldering, you can't accomplish.

2. It's a placebo. Your mind thinks, it has to be better, and there is no way you can turn back time to listen to the original sound as reference, so you believe that what your hearing is better.

3. Just get new headphones, HD650 are loved here. HD600 are also, but not as good as HD650. Also, a cheaper upgrade is the HD598 which are really enjoyed here also. I like mine.

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:

3. Just get new headphones, HD650 are loved here. HD600 are also, but not as good as HD650. Also, a cheaper upgrade is the HD598 which are really enjoyed here also. I like mine.

Sorry, totally misread this thread. I thought he was looking for a change that would actually do something - changing his headphones. 

I cant agree that the veil-o-matics are better than the HD580 (HD580 are pretty much the same as the HD600). The 580&650 are certainly different, and for many things the 650 are QUITE nice, but I would not stamp "better" on the 650's.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Have had the HD 580's Precision for years.  Had them reconditioned  by Sennheirser . While I have some other headphones these are the winners.  Use them with a Little Dot MK 111 headphone amp.  Considering upgrading the cable to a Cardas 20' but the cost is more then the phones are worth ($364).  I hear it is a great improvement but don't want to incur the expense without being assured of the results.  Anybody have any experience in this regard?

Heya,

I have the HD580 (for over 10 years) and it runs from a little dot Mk3 as well. Great setup.

I would not spend money on recabling them. I've tested a few different things and honestly didn't notice any difference that was tangible. The headphone is still incredible. Upgrading from them, there's no where to go except to the flagship model. Even going to the 650 isn't really an upgrade, just a sound signature change. The HD800 is the only place to go. But that's a grand.

I would just enjoy the 580's. If you're itching for a sound change, maybe try a new headphone? Something different? Grado 225 would be pretty different and work great on your current setup.

Very best,

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Pappy,

I too continue to enjoy my HD580s that I bought in December 1993!   The HeadRoom Supreme I bought at the same time had died and been replaced with a factory reconditioned Cosmic.  But I also have a Little Dot Micro + (std gain) that I use as well.  The HD580s have had some parts replaced and upgraded over the years.  It currently has HD600 grills, HD650 cable, defoamed drivers, and a second HD580 headband.  I have not yet felt the need for a replacement. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Quote:
1. Re-cable are said to better the SQ, False. This is only true if you can use Silver cable with silver solder and a pro job soldering. Which, unless you have worked 20+ years soldering, you can't accomplish.
2. It's a placebo. Your mind thinks, it has to be better, and there is no way you can turn back time to listen to the original sound as reference, so you believe that what your hearing is better.

well run senns are a pleasure to listen to, though less well run many would find them boring. i've had multiple senns and multiple cables and listen to them side by side. i'm amazed by the claims that there are no sonic differences as that's simply not my experience, nor those of many others that have also done direct comparisons. i do not want to start a great debate here nor do i wish to initiate any dbt discussions - just reporting what i hear. as to the value of the change that is a highly personal thing but i think many that have the interest in listening to a nice system that a forum like this attracts would find at least some expenditure worthwhile, though larger expenditures will understandably dissuade more folks from going that route.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I ever heard 580 and 600, but unfortunetly never in the same set up nor the same moment.
I just curious, actually how different is standard HD580 vs standard HD600?

they're very similar.

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Just to asked advice how much is the cheapest you buy this headpone right now?I saw  guy asked selling his pair of Senn 580 for $75 shipped international?

Do you think this is a decent price for pair of used 580?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back