Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Oct 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #421 of 1,140
Thanks.

Sounds pretty good for 130 shipped from Amazon. Am I missing something?

Excellent price, almost down to the level that I paid for refurbished cans but yours will be new in the box. Yes, the mod takes only a few minutes and even I, the world's clumsiest person, had no problem.

Good luck!

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #423 of 1,140
Lol, thanks guys.

But what I am getting at is it seems like a lot of performance for the price... Almost too much. So am I missing something?
biggrin.gif

They just recently dropped in price, drastically, i don't know why. I got my 558's for $230 back in February and i still think they're worth every penny. The comfort alone is worth $130 IMO even if it was an OK headphone. They stayed around the $200 price tag for a long time BTW. 

I didn't care for the sound signature of the stock HD 558's, so i modded them to my preference, but everyone is different, there's lots of people that are satisfied with the stock sound, so there's no need for modding if you're happy with the sound.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #424 of 1,140
Lol, thanks guys.

But what I am getting at is it seems like a lot of performance for the price... Almost too much. So am I missing something?
biggrin.gif

Well, you can always buy a pair of Beats and get beat.
biggrin.gif
  What's wrong with getting a great set of cans for a good price? They're not so cheap as to wonder, "If it's too good to be true."

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #425 of 1,140
Lol, thanks guys.

But what I am getting at is it seems like a lot of performance for the price... Almost too much. So am I missing something? :D

As Josh says, there's no trick. Amazon has these for much less than list price. This is recent. I haven't heard that the 558 is being dropped but even if it were the deal would still be well worth it.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #426 of 1,140
Josh: Thanks, that makes sense.

Stan: Dunno if you missed my original post, but I'm coming from a pair of HD650s. The point isn't I'm trying to be cheap, I just want to get a handle on what I'm buying and what they compare to, as well as their pluses and minuses. For something that compares as well to the 6xx line they are surprisingly cheap, and you usually get what you pay for in headphones up to a certain price point, and 130 isn't it.

Thanks.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #427 of 1,140
Josh: Thanks, that makes sense.

Stan: Dunno if you missed my original post, but I'm coming from a pair of HD650s. The point isn't I'm trying to be cheap, I just want to get a handle on what I'm buying and what they compare to, as well as their pluses and minuses. For something that compares as well to the 6xx line they are surprisingly cheap, and you usually get what you pay for in headphones up to a certain price point, and 130 isn't it.

Thanks.

If you're coming from HD650's you should be pleasantly surprised with the HD558's. They're closer to an HD600's sound profile. Not as much bass and a little less quality, but still excellent. A small dip in the treble compared to the HD600, but not bad. Easy to drive. I can't get over how good they are for the price. Have you ever listened to them?
Edit: Yes money was saved on build quality, materials. These are still quite the bargain.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #429 of 1,140
With comments like this, I wonder where to go next. I'm running a modded WA3 and was thinking a headset with higher impedance would get me a little more oomph...but I love the signature of the 558.
I love my 558's. They sound very much like the HD 800 to me - only with a bit less refinement and slightly smaller soundstage. The 558 is a VERY good headphone for the money.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #430 of 1,140
  They sound very much like the HD 800 to me - only with a bit less refinement and slightly smaller soundstage.

GET OUTTA TOWN!!!!

I've never heard anyone compare the 558's to the 800's and sadly i can not confirm or deny that statement, anyone wanna lend me their HD 800's?!?! FOR SCIENCE!!! 
biggrin.gif

$1500 compared to $200 ($130) and there's only a little improvement? I don't believe it for a second!

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #431 of 1,140
It's the law of diminishing returns. I didn't say the 800 offered "only a little improvement" over the 558. I said that the 558 sounds similar to the 800 only with less refinement and soundstage.

They share a very similar perceived frequency response, but the 800 is a clearly superior headphone. That said, when I compare them side-to-side, I must admit that the 800 is not 10X better although it is 10x the price.

The 558 possesses many of the traits that make the 800 so good and for the money, deliver a similar sound.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #432 of 1,140
  If you're coming from HD650's you should be pleasantly surprised with the HD558's. They're closer to an HD600's sound profile. Not as much bass and a little less quality, but still excellent. A small dip in the treble compared to the HD600, but not bad. Easy to drive. I can't get over how good they are for the price. Have you ever listened to them?
Edit: Yes money was saved on build quality, materials. These are still quite the bargain.

Nope, I will buy them sight unseen.  Not a great way to go about choosing something, I admit.  

It's the law of diminishing returns. I didn't say the 800 offered "only a little improvement" over the 558. I said that the 558 sounds similar to the 800 only with less refinement and soundstage.

They share a very similar perceived frequency response, but the 800 is a clearly superior headphone. That said, when I compare them side-to-side, I must admit that the 800 is not 10X better although it is 10x the price.

The 558 possesses many of the traits that make the 800 so good and for the money, deliver a similar sound.

I share your opinion on diminishing returns.  Thanks for the response.  I usually pefer to buy used but 130 BNIB from Amazon is very enticing.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #433 of 1,140
I just finished breaking in the 518's I ordered for my wife. They sound IDENTICAL to my 598's.

I've had a half dozen people listen to both including my kids who have excellent hearing range compared to me. Only one person thought the highs were ever so slightly clearer with the 598's. Mind you those are a much nicer set to touch. The materials are better, but not enough to warrant the price difference.

I'm not upset i bought the 598's by any measure but others should be aware of the distinct lack of sonic differences in these headphones.

Both work great without an amp, but both do sound fuller with one. It's a noticeable but small difference.

I very highly suspect the 558 sound identical as well since they use the same drivers from everything I've heard. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes, sound stage is no wider on the 598's.

I've spent 10 years in a past life doing SQ car audio, talking nothing under $5k installs here. I have no illusions something costing more will make it better. I don't judge based on cost or "expected results."

And I can assure you, an expensive USB cable is 100% a waste of money. :wink:

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #434 of 1,140
With comments like this, I wonder where to go next. I'm running a modded WA3 and was thinking a headset with higher impedance would get me a little more oomph...but I love the signature of the 558.

Impedance is not a guarantee of better sound or oomph. The impedance of the amp should as a rule of thumb be 1/8 of the impedance of the cans, or even less, to get good damping. You need to get cans that sound good and an amp that can drive it properly. Higher impedance cans need a higher signal voltage, again you need an amp that can supply that. The 558's are easy to drive. So what do you mean by more oomph? Warning, these adventures can drain your wallet. 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #435 of 1,140

GET OUTTA TOWN!!!!

I've never heard anyone compare the 558's to the 800's and sadly i can not confirm or deny that statement, anyone wanna lend me their HD 800's?!?! FOR SCIENCE!!! 
biggrin.gif

$1500 compared to $200 ($130) and there's only a little improvement? I don't believe it for a second!

I've A/B'd them and although the HD800's are better, sigh, they are not $1300 better. Ah, the law of diminishing returns. I still want them but will survive with my HD600's. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back