Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Jun 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #241 of 1,140
Thanks for the feedback. Based on your description I think I would tend to like 598 more. But would I need a amp and/or DAC to properly utilize this receiver? That was my logic behind 558 - to save a bit and get both.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #242 of 1,140
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Based on your description I think I would tend to like 598 more. But would I need a amp and/or DAC to properly utilize this receiver? That was my logic behind 558 - to save a bit and get both.

A dac at that kind of budget can't bring the HD558 to the refinement of the HD598, only something like a $300 DACport  could close the gap.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #243 of 1,140
Quote:
Which would you guys go for: HD558 + low range desktop DAC vs HD598 by itself? Obviously my first DAC. I'm trying to decide between the two as they are about the same cost.

In this case i would buy the HD558 +DAC. If the HD558 benefits with a great soundcard or great amp, dont mind the HD598. However this two headphones has its differences, more bass (hd558) / less bass more soundstage, refined (hd598) (like StreetDragon says), for example, i prefer the hd 558 for my genres (Techno, Trance), but if i listen to acoustic music i would prefer the hd598
Quote:
Yes, the 1/4" plug isnt ideal for an on the go headphone. My solution is the Grado 1/8" adapter and an elastic hair tie. I dont wear them out and about, just in my hotel room when Im on the road.

This, or buy the shorter cable by Sennheiser The 5x8ShortCableUS (Or something like that xD)

Pd: Sorry, i dont speak English very well xP.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #244 of 1,140
I don't know why some continue to claim the 598 is "more refined" than the 558. It reminds me of the HD650 owners who claim it is an "upgrade" from the HD600. It's not a step up, it's a step sideways. Same thing here. They are basically the same headphone with a slightly different enclosure. The 558 has a slightly fuller bassier sound and the 598 is a little lighter and airier sounding. Neither has more or less detail, grain, instrument seperation, etc. - things usually attributed to "higher-end" or "more refined" sound.

xkgamez - after you decide which kind of sound you would prefer (more air (598) or more body 558)), I think the only question that remains is whether or not you need an amp/DAC to drive them. The answer to this question depends on your source. If you are using a laptop computer or PC with onboard soundcard, then yes, a DAC and/or amp could give you an improvement in sound quality. On the other hand, if you are listening with an iPod, Sansa Clip, or another high quality music player, then I would say no. These devices (I cant speak for other brands) have DACs built in, and neither the 558 nor 598 need a lot of power to drive.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #245 of 1,140
Quote:
I don't know why some continue to claim the 598 is "more refined" than the 558. It reminds me of the HD650 owners who claim it is an "upgrade" from the HD600. It's not a step up, it's a step sideways. Same thing here. They are basically the same headphone with a slightly different enclosure. The 558 has a slightly fuller bassier sound and the 598 is a little lighter and airier sounding. Neither has more or less detail, grain, instrument seperation, etc. - things usually attributed to "higher-end" or "more refined" sound.

xkgamez - after you decide which kind of sound you would prefer (more air (598) or more body 558)), I think the only question that remains is whether or not you need an amp/DAC to drive them. The answer to this question depends on your source. If you are using a laptop computer or PC with onboard soundcard, then yes, a DAC and/or amp could give you an improvement in sound quality. On the other hand, if you are listening with an iPod, Sansa Clip, or another high quality music player, then I would say no. These devices (I cant speak for other brands) have DACs built in, and neither the 558 nor 598 need a lot of power to drive.

Ditto- I have both the 558 & 598 right here, and I'll say the difference between the 2 aren't as great as a few people claim.
For me the 558 with the tape pulled out sounds better for my taste. The Bass is better and the soundstage between the 2 isn't really that much greater.  Is the $100 price points worth it?, IMO not really.  I'd say grab a 558, do the 5 min mod and call it a day.
Buy some music with the extra $100.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #246 of 1,140
Quote:
Ditto- I have both the 558 & 598 right here, and I'll say the difference between the 2 aren't as great as a few people claim.
For me the 558 with the tape pulled out sounds better for my taste. The Bass is better and the soundstage between the 2 isn't really that much greater.  Is the $100 price points worth it?, IMO not really.  I'd say grab a 558, do the 5 min mod and call it a day.
Buy some music with the extra $100.

Thanks for the reply. I really need to ask around and see if I can try these out in person. Also, may I ask which mod you are specifically referring to?

Quote:

Well, I listen to music on both platforms (I'd say 70% of the time with my iPod nano or Sony A860, and rest on my computer). On my computer I have my brother's old Xonar U3. Glad to hear that 558 and 598 don't need an amp for iPod to drive them. I'm leaning towards getting a solid receiver right now and saving up more for a decent DAC later on for my desktop. I wouldn't mind listening on my portable player for the time being, and I think that would make more sense in the long term as well. Thanks for your input.

Quote:
In this case i would buy the HD558 +DAC. If the HD558 benefits with a great soundcard or great amp, dont mind the HD598. However this two headphones has its differences, more bass (hd558) / less bass more soundstage, refined (hd598) (like StreetDragon says), for example, i prefer the hd 558 for my genres (Techno, Trance), but if i listen to acoustic music i would prefer the hd598
This, or buy the shorter cable by Sennheiser The 5x8ShortCableUS (Or something like that xD)

Pd: Sorry, i dont speak English very well xP.

I can understand just fine :D Thank you for the answer. I think this would be sooo much easier if I could try the units myself!! I think I'll get probably get a 558 and save up a bit more for a nicer DAC.

Quote:
A dac at that kind of budget can't bring the HD558 to the refinement of the HD598, only something like a $300 DACport  could close the gap.

Understood. Appreciate the response.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #247 of 1,140
Magnolia (inside Best Buy) has the 558's on display to try. Thats how I discovered them. I tried them with my iPod and couldnt believe how similar to my HD800's they sounded. Not in "refinement" :wink: but in frequency response.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #248 of 1,140
Quote:
Magnolia (inside Best Buy) has the 558's on display to try. Thats how I discovered them. I tried them with my iPod and couldnt believe how similar to my HD800's they sounded. Not in "refinement"
wink.gif
but in frequency response.

Nice! I actually have some BestBuy reward certificates. Can't believe I haven't thought of it. Thank you.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #249 of 1,140
Quote:

Yeah this is what doesn't make sense to me. How can the supposedly superior headphone have more clarity when both headphones have the same headphone drivers? This is why i bought the 558's instead of the 598's, i'm not falling for this ago old trick. 598's physical differences are as follows: different color scheme, leather headband - (supposedly more comfortable), easier to adjust headband while on head and different housing and grill/grills. That's another thing, anyone notice 598's have two grills while 558 has one? I wonder why..

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #250 of 1,140
Yeah this is what doesn't make sense to me. How can the supposedly superior headphone have more clarity when both headphones have the same headphone drivers? This is why i bought the 558's instead of the 598's, i'm not falling for this ago old trick. 598's physical differences are as follows: different color scheme, leather headband - (supposedly more comfortable), easier to adjust headband while on head and different housing and grill/grills. That's another thing, anyone notice 598's have two grills while 558 has one? I wonder why..

The layering in the 598 has more depth and detail. Also many things can affect sound clarity. Driver enclosure definitely plays a big role here. Not to mention earpads too.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #251 of 1,140
I think the frequency response of the 598 might give you the impression of increased clarity/detail, but it is only an illusion. An analogy would be kind of like saying a violin sounds more clear than a cello. A trumpet sounds more detailed than a french horn.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #252 of 1,140
My pair arrived Monday afternoon, did the foam mod after a couple hours of use and so far I'm loving them. Anyone know a good soundcard or dac to pair them with? Only have onboard stuff right now and I was thinking of just going for the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard but the whole impedance talk I noticed around here has me a bit concerned about what I should go for.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #253 of 1,140
My pair arrived Monday afternoon, did the foam mod after a couple hours of use and so far I'm loving them. Anyone know a good soundcard or dac to pair them with? Only have onboard stuff right now and I was thinking of just going for the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard but the whole impedance talk I noticed around here has me a bit concerned about what I should go for.

After some time with using a Fiio E7, which was good, I moved to an Aune T1 which really boosted the 558s to a new level. The Aune is an hybrid dac/amp with 3 levels of gain available. I have mine set at 0 gain which seems perfect with the 558s. A lot depends on whether you like tube sound or prefer solid state.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #254 of 1,140
Quote:
After some time with using a Fiio E7, which was good, I moved to an Aune T1 which really boosted the 558s to a new level. The Aune is an hybrid dac/amp with 3 levels of gain available. I have mine set at 0 gain which seems perfect with the 558s. A lot depends on whether you like tube sound or prefer solid state.

I have no experience with either tube or solid state so I can't really say, all I've ever used is onboard audio from my computers. Is there a specific place or site where I can get the Aune T1 or is it something I'll have get from ebay?

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #255 of 1,140
I have no experience with either tube or solid state so I can't really say, all I've ever used is onboard audio from my computers. Is there a specific place or site where I can get the Aune T1 or is it something I'll have get from ebay?

There are many threads dealing with the tube vs. solid state decision, also several dealing with the Aune, and all other dacs, amps, cards for computers and almost anything you can imagine on head fi. You may want to research this further on those threads, the risk is in the huge amount of information which could have you reading for months! For many of us, that's part of the fun.

I got my Aune T1 through Amazon but it came from China and took about 5 weeks to arrive. eBay has these and many other choices for a wide number of prices (some with free postage, as did mine) some with surprisingly high postage.
Good luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back