Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #93 of 1,140
The refurbished HD558s just arrived ($105 price) they look brand new. I'm currently listening to a Flac sampler from Linn records which has a good selection of different types of music. My Fiio E7  drives these well and so far these blow my HD238s away in most ways detail, sound quality (although the 238s still sound good). So far the only thing I don't like is that the 558s put a lot of pressure on the sides of my head and feel like a lengthy session will give me a headache. The 238s feel like you're wearing nothing. I hope these loosen up. I will report as I listen further. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #94 of 1,140
Quote:
The refurbished HD558s just arrived ($105 price) they look brand new. I'm currently listening to a Flac sampler from Linn records which has a good selection of different types of music. My Fiio E7  drives these well and so far these blow my HD238s away in most ways detail, sound quality (although the 238s still sound good). So far the only thing I don't like is that the 558s put a lot of pressure on the sides of my head and feel like a lengthy session will give me a headache. The 238s feel like you're wearing nothing. I hope these loosen up. I will report as I listen further. 

Yeah the clamping force will go down.. yours must be fairly new because i've had mine now for 2 weeks and they fit nicely now. Also, you should check into doing the foam mod for these. Most people recommend it, some don't. IMO it does increase (decrease?) the "transparency" of the sound, making them more like the 598's... it's kinda of a debatable subject though. You can remove the foam and test it yourself. It is reversible so you got nothing to lose.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #95 of 1,140
For the past 3 days I've been listening to the 558s every chance I get. The clamping pressure went down pretty quickly and these are now more comfortable than the little on ear 238s. Sound wise I still find the characteristics of the little cans similar. It is in the layers of detail that the 558s really excell. I don't know if these are "burning in" or if I am just getting used to them, but the richness and clarity is marvelous. Of course I've not heard higher end headphones like the HD650, 700, and 800 (keeping to Sennheiser) and my set up is modest to say the least ( mostly classical and jazz from flac (some mp3 and satellite radio too) on an iPad 3 through a camera connection to a Fiio E7) but I'm pretty happy at this point. I still haven't done the mod, it looks simple enough but I'm pretty clumsy! My next consideration will be a little tube amp/dac, my budget is limited, would a hifiman ef-2a be a step up? I was even wondering about a little Bravo (using the Fiio dac) or are such things a waste? (I'm really interested in trying tube sound without big cost). Thanks for the advise.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #96 of 1,140
A dip in 7-8kHz, quite a stark opposite from HD25-1, there.

It sounds cleaner with some dynamat on the backs of the drivers.  It's still dark and slightly bassy without the foam tapes in the cups.  They just make the sound mushier, yuck.

Dat timbre.  Time to wake up RE0 so I can judge whether HD558/598 can compare well to HD600/RE0.  Might be close, I think.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #97 of 1,140
I got these yesterday and i'm loving them right now. Best headphones i have ever owned. It's also really comfy too which is a plus.

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #98 of 1,140
I bought these refurbished on Amazon $110. These are my first open air cans and it really is a different experience for me. Currently I'm listening to some John Coltrane and I swear you can hear the spit going into the horn. Lol just kidding. Does anyone know a good computer amp to use with these? You can just direct to a thread if you like. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #99 of 1,140
Quote:
I bought these refurbished on Amazon $110. These are my first open air cans and it really is a different experience for me. Currently I'm listening to some John Coltrane and I swear you can hear the spit going into the horn. Lol just kidding. Does anyone know a good computer amp to use with these? You can just direct to a thread if you like. 

Do you mean a sound card? I like the new Creative Z series myself.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #100 of 1,140
If you want a dac/amp that plugs into the USB port and can be used as a portable for other sources, Fiio offers a number of low cost selections. I use an E7 which is entry level, but is fine for driving the 558s. I have been using these for a month and they continue to fulfill my needs. Of course there are plenty of threads about these and desktop amps and dacs. I currently am very interested in getting an inexpensive tube unit and am considering the hifiman ef2a or the Aune T1. Does anyone have suggestions?

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #103 of 1,140
Quote:
Don't amps or Dac's change the sound signature of the headphone? 

Not unless it's a really crappy amp or DAC.

If it is causing any coloration, it's usually very minor. I know that the Fiio E10 is especially bad with HD-598/DJ100 and most Sennheisers (to my ears).

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #104 of 1,140
tdockweiler, do you mean all Fiios or just the E10? My 558s sound good with the E7 (but it is my only experience with these headphones). I would be interested if someone answers my inquiries about recommendations for an inexpensive tube amp for the 558s.

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #105 of 1,140
Quote:
tdockweiler, do you mean all Fiios or just the E10? My 558s sound good with the E7 (but it is my only experience with these headphones). I would be interested if someone answers my inquiries about recommendations for an inexpensive tube amp for the 558s.

I think the E10 sounded a bit too warm for my DJ100, M50 and 598. E7 seems like it would be perfect for the HD-598, but I haven't heard the E7 in about a year or more.
I reminded me a bit of the Ipod Touch 2G for whatever reason. That Ipod Touch 2G loves Sennheiser headphones.

I actually like the E11 a bit more than the E11 and I know they used the exact same chipset I believe, but that doesn't mean much.

I still need to try the E17 with the HD-598. I hope it's not just a slightly improved E10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back