Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
May 6, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #647 of 1,140
Most "audible" treble is in the 2-6 kHz range but sparkle I think comes from a combination of treble, reflections, delay, psychoacoustics, etc. Its a complex dance that frequency response alone does not convey. That doesnt exactly translate to how I want to articulate my perception of sparkle, but it'll have to do.

I am currently doing 500 kts at 37,000' and dont have access to my headphones or quiet to listen and ponder and articulate it better
biggrin.gif

I don't think we're going to be seeing much of delay or reflections in headphones, more like speakers and live music. I tend to agree with Mad Max about the frequency range for sparkle. The sparkle that the HE-500's are noted for are from the 9 KkHz peak that I mentioned previously. It's not a nasty resonant peak. I think sibilance is found in the frequency range you mentioned. Unfortunately we're not frequency meters so getting an exact fix on a frequency we hear may only be guesswork. Although, I can easily identify A 440 once I get to higher altitudes (kHz) my accuracy begins to falter.
I hope that by now you have slowed down a bit and are closer to sea level.

May 6, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #648 of 1,140
Guys what dap do you prefer with the hd558, x3 or dx50? Really need your answer guys. Thanks!

Although I don't like iOS, these days I use an iPod Touch 5G. For a user interface for a DAP, I'll say that iOS is far better than the user interfaces that I've seen in commercial DAP products. It has a pretty good internal DAC and Amp (low output impedance, low distortion, etc) and when using a Lightning CCK cable it can attach to an external DAC, which I do. I also use Windoze laptops with Foobar2000 or Media Monkey (software) with external DACs, etc. Or my Galaxy S3 with external DACs, etc.
Software Players that I use on the Touch:
  1. Neutron MP - Awesome, has a parametric EQ on iOS or Android.
  2. gMusic2
  3. SmartEQ (Player)
  4. Google Play Music
On Android:
  1. Neutron MP
  2. PowerAmp
  3. Google Play Music

May 6, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #649 of 1,140
I don't think we're going to be seeing much of delay or reflections in headphones, more like speakers and live music. I tend to agree with Mad Max about the frequency range for sparkle. The sparkle that the HE-500's are noted for are from the 9 KkHz peak that I mentioned previously. It's not a nasty resonant peak. I think sibilance is found in the frequency range you mentioned. Unfortunately we're not frequency meters so getting an exact fix on a frequency we hear may only be guesswork. Although, I can easily identify A 440 once I get to higher altitudes (kHz) my accuracy begins to falter.
I hope that by now you have slowed down a bit and are closer to sea level.

I think reflections and delay do play a role in headphone the perception of sparkle, air, ambience, etc. which to my ears all go hand in hand to help the brain create the illusion of "real."

I agree the higher treble frequencies play a part in this, and maybe Mad Max is correct that small peaks in the upper region, while not necessarily audible as "music" help signal the brain that sparkle and air are present. Hence my mention of psychoacoustics - which I believe is a large part of what allows us to listen to music on headphones and find it satisfying.

FWIW, I personally can barely detect any sound above 8kHz and am deaf above 12kHz, yet the HD 800 still sounds more sparkly, airy, and alive than any planar headphone I have ever heard - no 9kHz peak required.

Yes, Im at sea level now. I had a 16 hour travel day yesterday and was exhausted. Thankfully, I will remain below 2000' for the next 3 weeks. :D

May 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #650 of 1,140
Is it normal for the 598s to distort or have a fluttering effect at higher volumes (say over 75% off an iPhone 4S) with any songs that may have some sort of bassline? Even on 'softer' songs with bass presence. Seems like they have very little headroom, so I have to keep the volume down for fear that I'll damage the drivers.

I notice that the deeper the bass, the worse it gets. Is this a defect or are they being underpowered by my iPhone?

My Pioneer receiver reduces the effect, and the headphones can get louder, but I can get the same fluttering/distortion if I put them loud enough. Same with my laptop.

My 518s don't seem to do this, while outputting much more bass from the same drivers.

I only have a few days left to return the 598s if I choose to do so, and if this is normal, they may be going back. I don't dislike them, quite the contrary, but I just haven't fallen in love with them yet. :frowning2:

For $325 CDN (taxes and shipping included, but yep), I feel like I should lust for them, but I don't know... :frowning2:

I'm

May 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #654 of 1,140
 So can anyone here say that the HD650 sounds even darker than the HD558's? 

May 26, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #655 of 1,140
I would say from memory that i think the hd650 is, slightly darker but the hd558 has a slightly punchier bass. May not be accurate till i make a a/b comparison next time

May 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #658 of 1,140
The 558 is not in the least bit dark to my ears. Neutral is how I would describe them.

Everyone's definition is different. I dont really find them neutral. Not quite neutral to me but close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back