Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Nov 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #451 of 1,140
well, it's been a loooooong time since i bothered to frequent this forum.  big props to everyone here; was looking for reviews on varying headphones under 150$ for my little sis this christmas and found the answers i needed.

as far as MYSELF, however, i've had 598's for over two years now.  i would give everybody a pair if i weren't freakin' broke.  i started with some 80$ sony headphones before i even know about this forum; think they were MDRV55 but i'm not sure.  then i moved on to sennheiser 428's which i liked.
 i really was looking for more bass at the time and they certainly delivered with the "closed back" mod.  
i'd say they sounded better IMO. then i snagged monster turbines and monster turbine coppers as well as FA011's,
finally deciding on the HD598 for 200$.
 i still use the turbine coppers (or i will once i take advantage of the one-time replacement, haha)
for portable use, but the 598 has been such a great headphone to me.  
I keep all the frequencies flat except a bump in the upper mids after looking at the FR graphs and little on the low end,
under 50 hz for some rumble.  
i feel this headphone does extremely well as long as the song you are listening to was recorded/produced with spatial sense.  
even hiphop will slam in these headphones
provided it was up-close and personal with enough space to engage your ears.
i listen to electronic as well (hot chip, royksopp and some others) and i swear it feels like i'm in the club.  
"the girl and the robot" by royksopp sounds so epic. in terms of hiphop i listen to a lot -
if you like jazz and hiphop such as myself, give the artist "hocus pocus" a listen.
 he does a lot of work with his own instruments and samples miles davis among other jazz artists quite a bit.  
same with "strange fruit project". it is a unique fusion that works well with these headphones.
they do a lot well, and i have to say that i haven't even considered a different headphone even after 2 years.  
too comfy, too good with various genres.  electronic, dubstep, jazz, piano, vocal, some hiphop, alternative,
acoustic, and on . . . i'm no audiophile, but i certainly do appreciate.  :)

EDIT uuuuuh, anybody know why when i was typing my post, my text didn't automatically wrap to the next line below?  i had to go
through and chop it all up with manual returns, haha. . . 

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #453 of 1,140
  are the 558 good for gaming music/gaming in general or should I look somewhere else?

Yes they are imo. Just keep in mind they have a more laid-back sound. They are really comfy though. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #455 of 1,140
   what about the 518? same as well? and what do you mean by laid back mean?

and whats the difference betwen the 518 and 515?

518 is the newer version I believe.
It's just a step under the 558's. You can get 558's for around $100 refurbished/open box or new if you wait for it to go down in price. 

Laid back; it's hard to explain. It's not an in your face kind of sound. Unless you hear it for yourself, I'm not good at explaining things.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #456 of 1,140
  518 is the newer version I believe.
It's just a step under the 558's. You can get 558's for around $100 refurbished/open box or new if you wait for it to go down in price. 

Laid back; it's hard to explain. It's not an in your face kind of sound. Unless you hear it for yourself, I'm not good at explaining things.

and does this need an amp? I don't think i can afford the headphones or the amp this year. and does an amp increase the volume or something?

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #457 of 1,140
  and does this need an amp? I don't think i can afford the headphones or the amp this year. and does an amp increase the volume or something?

It's not so much volume, It more of adds liveliness and soundstage to the sound when properly amped.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #459 of 1,140
You don't NEED a soundcard or amp for this headphone. It does improve the sound though.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #461 of 1,140
Nov 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #462 of 1,140
Nov 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #463 of 1,140
thanks for the links. i never heard of the website so I will track them till black friday. I hope on of those(most likely the hd 518) goes around 70+ so I can get that 64gb sd card from best buy. then I'll order one of those fiio x3 for next year. got to replace my 120gb zune(doesn't support flac as well I believe)

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #464 of 1,140
I still can't tell the major difference between FLAC and 320kbps/-V0 MP3 
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #465 of 1,140
  I still can't tell the major difference between FLAC and 320kbps/-V0 MP3 
confused_face(1).gif

"Major differences".....good luck with that!

I personally can't hear any changes, i guess i'm the lucky 1% that didn't fall victim to placebo... lmao

"..waits for some doofus to say my setup isn't high end enough to hear any significant changes" pfffffffffffffffff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back