Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Feb 25, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #931 of 1,140
Just got the hd518, these are very, very smooth, sound like speakers, my akg k240 sound very harsh in comparison. There's some kind of upper midrange dip (2khz i think) and treble roll-off, that's why it sounds very smooth.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #932 of 1,140
  Just got the hd518, these are very, very smooth, sound like speakers, my akg k240 sound very harsh in comparison. There's some kind of upper midrange dip (2khz i think) and treble roll-off, that's why it sounds very smooth.

Good ears! 

beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #933 of 1,140
I did an experience and put the hd518's cable into my srh440 and to my surprise my shure's started to sound more bassy, bloated and somewhat veiled. Unfortunately, i can't put the srh440 cable into the hd518, it just doesn't fit inside so i ordered some cheap cable on ebay to see if it actually improves the sound (it will take a while to arrive though).

According to these graphs, maybe the hd558 would suit my tastes better, threre's no dip in the mids, but i'm afraid of that additional  3~4khz peak. In my experience a peak in this region can result in shrillness on vocals that i really don't like and the hd518 is more tame on that region.

Man, the graphs on the hd650 looks almost perfect to my tastes, too bad this headphone is very expensive in comparison to the hd5x8 line....

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #934 of 1,140
  I did an experience and put the hd518's cable into my srh440 and to my surprise my shure's started to sound more bassy, bloated and somewhat veiled. Unfortunately, i can't put the srh440 cable into the hd518, it just doesn't fit inside so i ordered some cheap cable on ebay to see if it actually improves the sound (it will take a while to arrive though).

According to these graphs, maybe the hd558 would suit my tastes better, threre's no dip in the mids, but i'm afraid of that additional  3~4khz peak. In my experience a peak in this region can result in shrillness on vocals that i really don't like and the hd518 is more tame on that region.

Man, the graphs on the hd650 looks almost perfect to my tastes, too bad this headphone is very expensive in comparison to the hd5x8 line....

Take the graphs with a grain of salt. In real world listening they don't mean that much.Use your ears. Vocals on HD558 crystal clear and shine with female vocals.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #935 of 1,140

I am glad to see I am not alone in thinking that that cord for the HD5X8 is not that great. Somewhat bloated and veiled (lack of 'air') is exactly how I would describe the sound of the pack-in cable vs a cheap $20 aftermarket cable.

As for the additional gain the HD558/598 have in the 3500Hz region actually really fills out the sound. My ears are sensitive to upper-mids/lower-treble and the HD598 is silky smooth.

beerchug.gif

Edit: One last recommendation. If you are considering the HD558, if the price is low on the HD598 jump on them. Actually I have never seen a headphone not only fluctuate in MSRP (on Sennheiser's webpage) but how often I see them go on sale as the HD598. I was first auditioning a mod'd HD558  and had the intent on picking up a pair myself, but unfortunately the sale was gone and by chance I got a pair of HD598 for less; well worth the upgrade.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #936 of 1,140

I am glad to see I am not alone in thinking that that cord for the HD5X8 is not that great. Somewhat bloated and veiled (lack of 'air') is exactly how I would describe the sound of the pack-in cable vs a cheap $20 aftermarket cable.

As for the additional gain the HD558/598 have in the 3500Hz region actually really fills out the sound. My ears are sensitive to upper-mids/lower-treble and the HD598 is silky smooth.

beerchug.gif

Edit: One last recommendation. If you are considering the HD558, if the price is low on the HD598 jump on them. Actually I have never seen a headphone not only fluctuate in MSRP (on Sennheiser's webpage) but how often I see them go on sale as the HD598. I was first auditioning a mod'd HD558  and had the intent on picking up a pair myself, but unfortunately the sale was gone and by chance I got a pair of HD598 for less; well worth the upgrade.

Heck, he's already got a HD5x8 series can, I figure if @rhiga is gonna upgrade, might as well save a bit longer and buy and HD600 or HD650. I went from the HD558 to the HD600 and I'm a very happy Head-Fier now
o2smile.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #938 of 1,140
I'm considering buying the 558, and I was wondering if they were sibilant at all? I can't stand harsh treble, particularly when the singer makes a 't' or 's' sound.

Really enjoying my foam+poster tack modded hd558. Buttery smooth signature.... Not harsh but detail revealing, warm and pleasant yet not bass bloated at all, just aggressive enough to be interesting. Treble is smooth and easy on the ears, with just enough presence to sound "right". See the gear in my profile.... The hd558 is right at home in my rig

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #939 of 1,140
  I'm considering buying the 558, and I was wondering if they were sibilant at all? I can't stand harsh treble, particularly when the singer makes a 't' or 's' sound.

I don't think it's sibilant. Even without the mods (mine's bog standard unlike @kramer5150 mentioned his were) they are still quite smooth. Very good sounding for its price I think.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #940 of 1,140
If you decide on The HD558 and want to save some money check this out.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A134C7TMP2R0RJ
$87.00 shipped used like new. I bought the Momentums and they were new only thing I didn't get was
the box. adgtron is an authorized dealer I checked with Senn. I got HD558 new and the Momentums  used like new
from them. I don't think there were ever even warn. Cables were sealed and plastic was still on earpads. They shipper fast also. I ordered Sat got them Weds. I'm in NY. Just food for thought check out the over ear Momentums ther are awsome. They are fully warranted also.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #941 of 1,140
If you decide on The HD558 and want to save some money check this out.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A134C7TMP2R0RJ
$87.00 shipped used like new. I bought the Momentums and they were new only thing I didn't get was
the box. adgtron is an authorized dealer I checked with Senn. I got HD558 new and the Momentums  used like new
from them. I don't think there were ever even warn. Cables were sealed and plastic was still on earpads. They shipper fast also. I ordered Sat got them Weds. I'm in NY. Just food for thought check out the over ear Momentums ther are awsome. They are fully warranted also.

I've been eyeing the 558s on Amazon for a while now, waiting for them to dip below 100$, as that is the most i can spend on headphones. I own a vmoda cross fade lp currently, and while I really like them, there is just too much bass, and I've been trying to find the best headphones under 100$. I've also thought about the grado sr80es, but I hate piercing treble, and that's what they have from what I've heard. Also not having a removable cable without a warranty is a deal-breaker

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #942 of 1,140
I've been eyeing the 558s on Amazon for a while now, waiting for them to dip below 100$, as that is the most i can spend on headphones. I own a vmoda cross fade lp currently, and while I really like them, there is just too much bass, and I've been trying to find the best headphones under 100$. I've also thought about the grado sr80es, but I hate piercing treble, and that's what they have from what I've heard. Also not having a removable cable without a warranty is a deal-breaker

You will love the HD558s then. The Crossfade LP is what tuned me off from V-Moda (gave me a bias), and having the SR-60 (mod'd) I know exactly where you are coming from. Even at the $100 range that is still an excellent price for the HD558 considering MSRP is $289.

beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #943 of 1,140

I got mine for $65 on the used BST board... too good of a deal to let pass.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #944 of 1,140
I listened to my 558 all day today while building a resume. Some days I like the 558 w/iPad better than my LCD-2.....today was one of those days. :)

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #945 of 1,140
recently driving hd518 with sony xperia smartphone.

its a sony phone so is warm sounding. but both have amazing synergy.

they pretty much sound like a car stereo system in terms of warmth, but much better control and accuracy. that bass is pretty much biggest i have heard.

out of my audinst hud mini which is mostly neutral sounding, it is more detailed, technically proficient, yada yada....

but there is something about sony 518 combo that cant be had from more transparent systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back