Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
May 13, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #362 of 380
Another happy owner there. Compared to standard hd25, which I still own, definitely more bassy, but there is no "plasticky echo" I used to hear from standard ones. Amazing headphones, hoping to hear their best, just ordered Oyaide shpc-hd25 silver for them.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #363 of 380
Reviving this thread to ask a simple question: does anyone know for certain whether the Aluminum has the same driver as the std HD 25? I know they're both 70 ohm so that makes me think it probably is, but I'm looking for confirmation.

I ask because I bought a cheap set of NOS blue Amperiors, which I like, but the small improvements that many people report with the HD 25 AL model make me curious. The std HD 25 70 ohm driver is widely available to buy (part No. 570609). I am wondering if I can simply replace my Amperior drivers with these and end up with a cool set of blue Aluminums!

Here is a page that lists & sells the different HD 25 replacement drivers, but as you can see there is no mention of either the Amperior or the AL versions.

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #364 of 380
I've been buying Sennheisers since 1980/81. I respectfully request that Sennheiser bring back the Aluminum HD 25 :)

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #365 of 380
Reviving this thread to ask a simple question: does anyone know for certain whether the Aluminum has the same driver as the std HD 25? I know they're both 70 ohm so that makes me think it probably is, but I'm looking for confirmation.

I ask because I bought a cheap set of NOS blue Amperiors, which I like, but the small improvements that many people report with the HD 25 AL model make me curious. The std HD 25 70 ohm driver is widely available to buy (part No. 570609). I am wondering if I can simply replace my Amperior drivers with these and end up with a cool set of blue Aluminums!

Here is a page that lists & sells the different HD 25 replacement drivers, but as you can see there is no mention of either the Amperior or the AL versions.

Thanks.

I can confirm that at the time the aluminium used the same drivers as the HD25 mkII since then sennheiser have updated the driver in 2016 but they sound identical pretty much as the new drivers will fit the aluminium and amperior cups, they just don't clip in quite as tightly - not a problem once you have the pad on.

I've been buying Sennheisers since 1980/81. I respectfully request that Sennheiser bring back the Aluminum HD 25 :)

I work at custom cans and we recently purchased all the "new old stock" of the aluminium parts that sennheiser had left in europe for a project and as far as I am aware they are not making more spares for them as we were around 20 sets short on our order. So.. I doubt they will be re-making them any time soon. From what I remember when they were discontinued, our rep said they did not sell as well as they hoped at the time due to the higher price. I suspect they were not as profitable as each set of earcups and hinges were machined from billet aluminium, quite an expensive process compared to injection moulded plastic.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #366 of 380
I can confirm that at the time the aluminium used the same drivers as the HD25 mkII since then sennheiser have updated the driver in 2016 but they sound identical pretty much as the new drivers will fit the aluminium and amperior cups, they just don't clip in quite as tightly - not a problem once you have the pad on.

I work at custom cans and we recently purchased all the "new old stock" of the aluminium parts that sennheiser had left in europe for a project and as far as I am aware they are not making more spares for them as we were around 20 sets short on our order. So.. I doubt they will be re-making them any time soon. From what I remember when they were discontinued, our rep said they did not sell as well as they hoped at the time due to the higher price. I suspect they were not as profitable as each set of earcups and hinges were machined from billet aluminium, quite an expensive process compared to injection moulded plastic.

Excellent, that's good enough for me. I just ordered two from Amazon (along with a torx screwdriver set). So I guess we'll see how it goes. It's just a $100 gamble, but really not even that as I can just return them if I don't hear an improvement.

I understand the AL cups are more expensive to make, but it can't be $100 more or whatever. It just seems there was no reason to charge more than 2x the std HD 25 price besides greed. I bet they would sell well for $200 or something and make a tidy profit, especially considering how many would be excited about their reintroduction. On second thought, I have no effing idea what I'm talking about, I know nothing about business, and I certainly have no business telling Sennheiser how to make headphones. They are probably quite happy with their std HD 25 sales and standing.

So what are Custom Cans' plans for the AL parts?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #367 of 380

I know they have no plans to make them. That's why I requested that they bring them back :wink:

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #368 of 380
I have a set of blue Amperiors, which I understand are (were) very similar to the aluminium HD25's -
if not actually identical.

Though I liked them a lot, they have been sitting in a box on the floor near my desk.
Because: the earpads needed changing. So I read some stuff, watched a few YouTube
videos, ordered the correct earpads - 2 sets from 2 different sources (1 set from each source).

Then had at it - not the first time I've changed earpads, BTW. Even on DT880's, HD25's,
Sony MDR V6, and others, I was able to get it done. Some were very tight, and took
persistence, but on they went, and seated properly.

But for the life of me, I've not been able to get either set of these Amperior earpads
on the damn headphones; having tried several times, pushing to the point that I
thought for sure they'd be damaged if I continued.

So, not having given up by any means - but I've got to use my time for other things, too -
I put the headphones, earpads, "instructions" - everything neatly into a small clean box.
I guess I haven't missed them all that much, because it's been about 6 months and I
haven't made another attempt at this.

Still, any comments/thoughts/solutions would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #369 of 380
I have a set of blue Amperiors, which I understand are (were) very similar to the aluminium HD25's -

Though I liked them a lot, they have been sitting in a box on the floor near my desk.
Because: the earpads needed changing. So I read some stuff, watched a few YouTube
videos, ordered the correct earpads - 2 sets from 2 different sources (1 set from each source).

Thanks.

There are two main ways to do it.
This is how we do it in the office ( verryold poor quality video )

This is how our friends at YAXI do it ( Probably easier )

Depending which pads you purchased, the top option may be the only way to go but if you have some which are a bit stretchier then the YAXI method is really straight forward

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #370 of 380

Then had at it - not the first time I've changed earpads, BTW. Even on DT880's, HD25's,
Sony MDR V6, and others, I was able to get it done. Some were very tight, and took
persistence, but on they went, and seated properly.

But for the life of me, I've not been able to get either set of these Amperior earpads
on the damn headphones; having tried several times, pushing to the point that I
thought for sure they'd be damaged if I continued.

So, not having given up by any means - but I've got to use my time for other things, too -
I put the headphones, earpads, "instructions" - everything neatly into a small clean box.
I guess I haven't missed them all that much, because it's been about 6 months and I
haven't made another attempt at this.

Thanks.

That's a bummer. Any chance the replacements you got are not right somehow? I took mine off once and they went right back on pretty easily (orig velour Amperiors, I mean). Did you have any trouble putting the originals back on?

Mar 25, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #371 of 380

I received the 70 ohm HD 25 replacement driver capsules and see what you mean about the new driver assembly not securely snapping into the AL cups. But you're right, it does seem that the ear pads hold it pretty well in place (as well as the cable plug). So you guys have had no complaints about them vibrating or coming loose?

I wonder, is it worth trying to go deeper by removing the driver from its cage/assembly? Is it even possible? (if so, then I could install it in the Amperior's cage/assembly to get that secure snap fit into the Amperior cups)

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #372 of 380
I received the 70 ohm HD 25 replacement driver capsules and see what you mean about the new driver assembly not securely snapping into the AL cups. But you're right, it does seem that the ear pads hold it pretty well in place (as well as the cable plug). So you guys have had no complaints about them vibrating or coming loose?

I wonder, is it worth trying to go deeper by removing the driver from its cage/assembly? Is it even possible? (if so, then I could install it in the Amperior's cage/assembly to get that secure snap fit into the Amperior cups)

I would not recommend it -there is a good chance of damaging them and as the amperior drivers are no longer available they are probably worth something on ebay.
If you want to make the fit tighter you could do something like wrapping the edge of the driver in PTFE tape - I have not tried that but suspect it would work

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #373 of 380
I would not recommend it -there is a good chance of damaging them and as the amperior drivers are no longer available they are probably worth something on ebay.
If you want to make the fit tighter you could do something like wrapping the edge of the driver in PTFE tape - I have not tried that but suspect it would work

Ok great. Thanks for the advice. :)

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #375 of 380
This was a great video. I ended up buying your Customcans-branded white pads for my Aluminums and I'm very happy with them. But I must say I thought I would never get them on!

I noticed the Yaxi Type B blacks with the yellow stripe are gone from your site and ebay. Are these still available? I'm not sure when but I planned to buy a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back