Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Apr 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2,432 of 3,545
Anaxilus asked:-

Quote:
Btw, where's our OT post? 
wink_face.gif

I have been asked by the powers that be to kindly refrain from exciting the natives unnecessarily by my judicious and very relevant posts which notify so lucidly when this thread was veering, as it is so invariably wont, from its relevant topic into the arcane void of irrelevance.

As a dutiful and obedient subject of this august and notable forum, and in the interest of keeping this said forum as the epitome of sound information and personal observations, it was incumbent of me to allow the moderators to maintain their capable control of this and other threads without my pertinent and considerable input.

davidgotsa asked regarding the "Anaxilus" mod:-

Quote:
What did you think of it? 

Even though the peak at 6KHz was not a real worry to me, it did detract a little from the joyful experience of listening to some material.
The mod is a worthwhile fix which I heartily endorse.
Although the standard HD800's treble performance is not a deal breaker for myself, I can see how others would look elsewhere for their ideal headphone.
The HD800 was my favourite headphone of my collection before the mod, and is more so now.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #2,433 of 3,545

Quote:
Even though the peak at 6KHz was not a real worry to me, it did detract a little from the joyful experience of listening to some material.

Do you find that the HD800 actually exaggerates of of the imperfections in your music? It seems like that to me...

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #2,434 of 3,545
I love detail, so the clinical nature of any headphone doesn't bother me.

If the material sounds rotten or is a bad recording, I would rather have that than a sanitised version of it.
The glossing/smearing of the sound is a greater fault in my opinion. YMMV.

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #2,435 of 3,545

Quote:
I auditioned both the 700 and 800 from the Sennheiser booth at the Montreal AV show in March. IMHO, the HD800 is well worth the extra $$ over it's little brother. I also found it more comfortable, even if a little heavier than the 700. The larger ear cups felt more effective at spreading the pressure.

They were both playing through Grace amps, a big mistake in my book. When I went over to spend some time with Jack at his Woo booth, listening to the HD800's through his WA6SE and WA22 catapulted the 800's performance to much higher levels of resolution, dynamics and silky smooth mids...

Actually, I find that the Grace works with the HD 800 extremely well (both the m902 and the new m903) and have been using these for years.

But - I am listening to original master recordings and know what the instruments actually sounded like in the flesh, rather than listening to other people's recordings and wanting a "nice" sound.

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #2,436 of 3,545

I respect your opinion, even if I felt otherwise that day at the show. The Senn rep on location also mentioned that these amps (the m903) had been recommended to him for use at their booth. They just didn't sound right to me, but I heard no other visitors commenting about it while I was there. However, I still believe everyone would of, if they had the opportunity to A/B with the Woo amps right there and then. 

Also worth noting: I'd brought my own reference disk, Patricia Barber's Modern Cool MFSL SACD, so I was comfortable with comparaisons as I was walking the trade-show floor, listening to various equipment and pairings. Something one simply cannot do while listening to various recordings, too often chosen by the booth owners to only bring out the strenghts of their components.

Quote:
Actually, I find that the Grace works with the HD 800 extremely well (both the m902 and the new m903) and have been using these for years.

But - I am listening to original master recordings and know what the instruments actually sounded like in the flesh, rather than listening to other people's recordings and wanting a "nice" sound.

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #2,437 of 3,545

Quote:
I respect your opinion, even if I felt otherwise that day at the show. The Senn rep on location also mentioned that these amps (the m903) had been recommended to him for use at their booth. They just didn't sound right to me, but I heard no other visitors commenting about it while I was there. However, I still believe everyone would of, if they had the opportunity to A/B with the Woo amps right there and then. 

Also worth noting: I'd brought my own reference disk, Patricia Barber's Modern Cool MFSL SACD, so I was comfortable with comparaisons as I was walking the trade-show floor, listening to various equipment and pairings. Something one simply cannot do while listening to various recordings, too often chosen by the booth owners to only bring out the strenghts of their components.

When I compare I tend to bring music I recorded and mastered myself, so I know what the original instruments sounded like in the acoustic I recorded it in and I also know the characteristics of the microphones I used to record it.

But I suppose I am pretty rare in being able to do this.
wink_face.gif

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2,438 of 3,545
Apr 13, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #2,439 of 3,545

Quote:
When I compare I tend to bring music I recorded and mastered myself, so I know what the original instruments sounded like in the acoustic I recorded it in and I also know the characteristics of the microphones I used to record it.

But I suppose I am pretty rare in being able to do this.
wink_face.gif

rare or unique, it's a perspective i value.
smile.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #2,442 of 3,545

Quote:
Quote:
Talked to a Swedish dealer today who claimed the HD 700 should be out within one month. Seems a bit optimistic to me, but who knows? 
confused.gif

That should be right, Europe next month and Hong Kong in June!!!

Fingers crossed, lets hope for the best.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #2,444 of 3,545
Next month I get my extra "vacation money"...

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #2,445 of 3,545

Quote:
Talked to a Swedish dealer today who claimed the HD 700 should be out within one month. Seems a bit optimistic to me, but who knows? 
confused.gif

I know. 
wink.gif

I spoke with my contact at Sennheiser Headquarters today - she said the HD700 should be out at the end of May (she actually said, expected the 3rd week of May).

Don't expect them any earlier than this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back