Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Mar 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #2,236 of 3,545
Not to derail the thread (although it is way off topic), but I find sound triggers the most memories for me.  Touch is probably second....... Smell does next to nothing.

Quote:
FWIW, hearing is the worst sense tied to human memory (with smell being the strongest...go figure). When I do my comparative reviews I first familiarize myself with the gear for a week or so and then never spend more than a few seconds switching between both.

Just my two cents...oh and my 40 year old ears go up to 20kHz when I had them tested a few months back.
smile.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2,238 of 3,545
Actually no, those types of smells bring no memories to surface for me, whereas certain songs or even just sounds in general (like warming up your lips on a brass mouthpiece or the revving of the lawnmover starting up, or the sizzle of my mom's fried chicken recipe) bring vivid memories to light. Might have something to do with the fact that my sense of smell (and as a result taste) aren't the best
smily_headphones1.gif
.  Maybe my brain's replaced all that missing data with aural triggers
basshead.gif

Quote:
So the smell of your mother's cooking, freshly cut grass, sea salt etc aren't evocative for you? I'm not convinced. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #2,240 of 3,545
That makes sense. It isn't so much specific memories that are stimulated by smells for me, more how I felt at the time. Music, on the other hand, tends to be linked to a time/place but isn't quite as instinctive. Everyone's different, I guess. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2,242 of 3,545
I love the way certain headphones smell. The Audez'e LCD-2 rev. 1 and Shure SRH1840 are my favorites.

The former has a soothing wood and leather smell. The latter has a smell that reminds me of the Natural Science Museum and consequently portions of my childhood.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #2,243 of 3,545
Your olfactory system in your brain is the only sensory system that feeds directly into your amygdala without going through the thalamus first, which means in theory it's the most emotion-triggering sensory input.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #2,245 of 3,545

Quote:
Any idea why?   Last minute tuning perhaps? 

I tried to ask my dealer the reasons why they keep getting pushed back, and they couldn't really answer me other than saying 'it's worth the wait...'?! I do hope that Sennheiser is taking the extra time to do the last minute fine tunings though...

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #2,248 of 3,545
I tend to put my headphones on my ears rather than my nose, so typically I don't notice any plastic smell or whatever I could imagine anyone might complain about.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #2,250 of 3,545
That's rather shortsighted, I think.

Something that smells that bad as the K550 does, won't stop to evaporate harmful chemicals when in use.

That's cheap China crap. Shame on you, AKG!

Hopefully the HD700 does not smell that bad... but it's "Made in Ireland", so it will smell of green gras, milk, butter, potatoes and drunken Irishmen... like HD600 and HD650 did before.
biggrin.gif

The HD800 -of cause- smells of Würstchen, Sauerkraut, Volkswagen and Bier.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I tend to put my headphones on my ears rather than my nose, so typically I don't notice any plastic smell or whatever I could imagine anyone might complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back