Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Feb 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #1,861 of 3,545
Well they sure as hell look great, but the plastic does not seem very convincing. Build quality seems closer to that of a HD598 if anything. Just imagine the paint job on the HD700's being any other colour than grey/silver. Guaranteed people would complain about it "looking cheap".

Does anyone know if it's made of leona just like the HD800's? Because that would definitely be more reassuring.

Quote:

FWIW, I've unboxed many headphones in my short time here. Those pictures look pretty convincing for a $1000 product to me. No, I can't offer anything beyond mere speculation based on looking at a few pictures (nice pictures though they are). But for me personally, I can say those pictures didn't discourage me in the least from wanting to try the HD700.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 24, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,862 of 3,545
I think I'm just gonna get an HD-800. I've been using my friends HD-600s while my LCD-2 was sent in for repairs, and I've come to fall in love with the Sennheiser sound over the past 7 days I've had them. I'll obviously wait a month more before taking the plunge (I know I'm in the first impression stage). 

I just figure, I might as well just spend a little more and get the superior version w/ better build quality. 

Does anyone know how often they are sold on here used? I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled out for them in the Classified, or else I'll just buy a new pair in a month or two from Amazon.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,863 of 3,545

Quote:
Well they sure as hell look great, but the plastic does not seem very convincing. Build quality seems closer to that of a HD598 if anything. Just imagine the paint job on the HD700's being any other colour than grey/silver. Guaranteed people would complain about it "looking cheap".

Does anyone know if it's made of leona just like the HD800's? Because that would definitely be more reassuring.

Can't say for sure, but from the feel of the plastic it wasn't as robust as the HD800 (could be size and dimensions affecting perception though).  But it was more robust and sturdier than the HD5xx.

I had my concerns about the build and design compared to the 5xx series but playing w/ it felt quite satisfactory and confidence inspiring.  Not HD800 level but no slouch at all.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,865 of 3,545

Quote:
A lot of people liked the black "sample" pics a few pages back. Also, are they painted? The pictures look as though the composite itself is that color, without having to be painted.

This was probably done in Photoshop using one of several layer blending techniques that allows you to blend a solid color, in this case, with texture and color in the layer below.  I did not look closely at the pics in question, but that'd be my best guess since no I doubt anyone's spray painting them...yet. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #1,866 of 3,545

Quote:
This was probably done in Photoshop using one of several layer blending techniques that allows you to blend a solid color, in this case, with texture and color in the layer below.  I did not look closely at the pics in question, but that'd be my best guess since no I doubt anyone's spray painting them...yet. 

was definitely photoshopped however, whoever the poster was *sorry*, did a great job in making the HD700's seem more attractive to the eyes of its viewers. Can't wait to see if the black pair really comes into existence though.

off topic:
- side tracked while typing sentence but have you guys ever tried a soundstage test? it intrigues me when i used this. -  can't wait to try them on the HD700 :D?

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #1,867 of 3,545

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was asking if the HD700 itself is painted, since dleblanc said that if it was painted a different color, people would say it looks cheap. I wasn't asking if the headphones in the Photoshopped pics were painted; rather, I was referring to them to point out that people actually seem to like what the HD700 might look like if it were in a different color. I meant them as two different comments/questions, but I can see that I didn't make that clear in my post.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,868 of 3,545
After seeing the photoshopped HD700s last week, I e-mailed Colorware asking if they had any plans to offer these. This was their response:

Quote:
Hello,

Until this product is prototyped, Colorware cannot say for sure if/when we will be offering it for coloring. This process can take anywhere between 2 and 8 weeks, depending on the complexity of the product. I suggest checking back momentarily, or signing up for our product release newsletter in your account. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me. Have a nice day.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #1,869 of 3,545
Headfonia has been posting their impressions, along with some gorgeous un-boxing photos and direct size comparisons with the HD800, if anyone is interested. Mike seems to actually prefer it over the 800.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #1,870 of 3,545

Quote:
Headfonia has been posting their impressions, along with some gorgeous un-boxing photos and direct size comparisons with the HD800, if anyone is interested. Mike seems to actually prefer it over the 800.

He seems to prefer it over every other high-end headphone.

It's a full-on journal? Man looks like he digs it a lot.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #1,872 of 3,545
Just tested them yesterday (got lent from Mike for around an hour), build quality wise definitely not the HD800 level, but I will not say it's bad either, but I think for US$1000 I want a little more. It's light and so comfy to use though.

Sound wise, the first thing that blow my mind is how "open" this headphone, even more than HD800. With some amps I tried, HD800 seems a little mellower in vocality, while HD700 is a bit thinner. Treble wise, it's smoother than HD800, but on the other side, sibilance seems more presence in HD700.

For people who think HD800 isn't great for mainstream music, well, I think you'll have the same perception with this baby too.

The things that I like the most from HD700 is the design! (perhaps if it's a little bit bigger will looks better?)

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,873 of 3,545
Interesting read on headphonia. Let's see how things evolve.
After first reading it looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,875 of 3,545
Interesting read on Headfonia. Still, I'm always a bit skeptical when I read such overflowing hyperbole, like, "I was awestruck. The design team...has pulled off something brilliant. Out of this world. Genius....It was revolutionary and I’ve never heard anything like this being done with a dynamic driver." That sounds suspiciously like new-acquisition euphoria, rather than a well thought-out take on the product. I'm not Mike, though, so maybe I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back