Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Feb 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #1,833 of 3,545

Quote:
And honestly i'm not really a huge fan of the plastic construction even if its sandwiched together with many different materials to stop *vibrations*. Too bad it'd be too late to bother to change the entire design again to satisfy everyones needs.

Unfortunately people seem to think of plastic as "cheap" where, in truth, a modern plastic is far far better than metal or wood.

It just depends on the grade of plastic used - a modern aerospace grade polymer (plastic) is an excellent material to make headphones from.

And I am sure that most people would not like Sennheiser to downgrade the sound quality of the headphones just to satisfy the few people around who erroneously think that metal and wood are better materials than a top grade polymer or just prefer how their headphones "look" rather than how they "sound".

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #1,834 of 3,545
I have just been talking to my contact at Sennheiser UK - she tells me that they *will* be having the new HD 700 on show at the Bristol Hi-Fi Show on Friday / Saturday / Sunday this week.

There will also be a Grace m903 on the Sennheiser stand at the show to listen to the HD 700 / HD 800 on.
L3000.gif

So - any UK based people who want to see and hear them - this is the place to go.

Release models in the shops will be late march in the UK I think.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #1,836 of 3,545

Quote:
Quote:
What sort of feedback do you think Sennheiser got back from those who had the pre-production versions?

We've all pretty much posted our honest feedback somewhere in this thread, though it got buried pretty quickly. Basically we all said some variation of:

Sounds pretty good, like the comfort, could be cheaper in price, could still be smoother, like the balance of bass to treble, easier to drive than HD800, plastic construction will probably be perceived as cheap by some users.... I think that's the general feedback we gave. Some of us really liked them a lot, some just thought they were pretty good but not great. Pretty much what you would expect from a diverse group of users.

Nobody seemed to hate them though, or at least they weren't honest about it if they did. But the group was comprised of individuals who I have no doubt would be willing to say directly to Sennheiser - "These are not as good as the competition". I don't recall anyone saying that, and I think the general consensus was that they compete with the LCD-2, HE-500, and other similar class headphones, though each has its own strengths and thus will attract fans. 

Seems like this "diverse" group mainly consisted of Summit-Fiers. Still awaiting thoughts on how the HD700 stacks against the lowly flagships of old and from the perspective of someone not entrenched in the rarified heights of end game rigs.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #1,838 of 3,545

Quote:
Seems like this "diverse" group mainly consisted of Summit-Fiers. Still awaiting thoughts on how the HD700 stacks against the lowly flagships of old and from the perspective of someone not entrenched in the rarified heights of end game rigs.

Ah, but who better to get feedback from, than those who have quite a bit of experience with different gear and headphones?

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,839 of 3,545

Quote:
Ah, but who better to get feedback from, than those who have quite a bit of experience with different gear and headphones?

so true. but our patience becomes very poor for long awaited products that intrigue us. Sadly people like myself have to find a way to be patient about something that is so costly. 
Should i be glad that i limited my credit limit? Probably, but that means i cant make huge purchases like these until the Street price / MRSP goes down.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #1,840 of 3,545
Feb 21, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #1,841 of 3,545

Quote:
..... but that means i cant make huge purchases like these until the Street price / MRSP goes down.

But the HD 800 has not gone down after three years - be prepared for a looooooong wait.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #1,842 of 3,545

Quote:
so true. but our patience becomes very poor for long awaited products that intrigue us. Sadly people like myself have to find a way to be patient about something that is so costly. 
Should i be glad that i limited my credit limit? Probably, but that means i cant make huge purchases like these until the Street price / MRSP goes down.

Look at it this way, you can warm your ears up with the HD600 or HD650.
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,844 of 3,545
There is a review of the HD 700 in the March edition of the german AUDIO magazine.If you want to download,you need to pay for it...of course!
Maybe some members living in Germany know more???

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #1,845 of 3,545

Quote:
There is a review of the HD 700 in the March edition of the german AUDIO magazine.If you want to download,you need to pay for it...of course!
Maybe some members living in Germany know more???

Interesting - but it would be a review of a pre-production sample, of course, rather than a full production model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back