Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Feb 19, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #1,817 of 3,545
Another issue I kind of see, is the build quality. Maybe it's just me, but they kind of...look cheap in places. I'm not talking about aesthetics. But that little hinge that holds each ear cup looks kind of cheap.

Curious for those that have actually seen them in person or tried them, if they actually felt well built. Obviously hard to gauge on pics alone. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #1,818 of 3,545

Quote:
Another issue I kind of see, is the build quality. Maybe it's just me, but they kind of...look cheap in places. I'm not talking about aesthetics. But that little hinge that holds each ear cup looks kind of cheap.

Curious for those that have actually seen them in person or tried them, if they actually felt well built. Obviously hard to gauge on pics alone. 

I'm glad that you can judge how something feels by a picture 
rolleyes.gif

If you had bothered to read impressions of the owners, you would find that they seem to think that the headphones are durable.

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #1,819 of 3,545

Quote:
i wonder how often Sennheiser employees go on a thread like this to see what our expectations are. Honestly i really doubt they'll be sneaking on here and tabulate a list such as:
*Black HD700 - more attractive to viewers.
*More Bass - thump :D!
*Cheaper - street prices will drop it anyways if you think about it positively.
*Not as peaky treble like the HD800's were - more ease on the ears.
*Better overall presentation of the product. (maybe extra pair of detachable cables etc.)

--- 121 pages of good off-topicness isn't fun to go through....

what sucks for people who don't live within the U.S.A / Europe, is users outside of those areas have to wait even longer =(
  - at least if those people, like myself, who wants to pay within the same currency exchange without pay pal ripping me off by 3-7 cents per CAD dollar.

Actually, one of the reasons behind Sennheiser's "discussion panel" and giving the HD700 out early to certain head-fiers was to get feedback. Obviously the other reason was promotion. However there ARE Sennheiser reps who read this forum. You may have seen a few replies from one in this thread earlier on, in fact.

I'm personally skeptical that Sennheiser would go re-tuning the HD700 based on what we've heard so far, but I wouldn't completely discount the possibility.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,820 of 3,545

Quote:
Actually, one of the reasons behind Sennheiser's "discussion panel" and giving the HD700 out early to certain head-fiers was to get feedback. Obviously the other reason was promotion. However there ARE Sennheiser reps who read this forum. You may have seen a few replies from one in this thread earlier on, in fact.

I'm personally skeptical that Sennheiser would go re-tuning the HD700 based on what we've heard so far, but I wouldn't completely discount the possibility.

Do they not trust their own ears?

Quote:
This graph helps to illustrate peakiness.

That graph also helps to illustrate sucked-out upper-midrange. So pick your poison.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,822 of 3,545

Quote:
What sort of feedback do you think Sennheiser got back from those who had the pre-production versions?

We've all pretty much posted our honest feedback somewhere in this thread, though it got buried pretty quickly. Basically we all said some variation of:

Sounds pretty good, like the comfort, could be cheaper in price, could still be smoother, like the balance of bass to treble, easier to drive than HD800, plastic construction will probably be perceived as cheap by some users.... I think that's the general feedback we gave. Some of us really liked them a lot, some just thought they were pretty good but not great. Pretty much what you would expect from a diverse group of users.

Nobody seemed to hate them though, or at least they weren't honest about it if they did. But the group was comprised of individuals who I have no doubt would be willing to say directly to Sennheiser - "These are not as good as the competition". I don't recall anyone saying that, and I think the general consensus was that they compete with the LCD-2, HE-500, and other similar class headphones, though each has its own strengths and thus will attract fans. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #1,823 of 3,545

Quote:
They organized a discussion panel for the purpose of receiving feedback. I'd imagine they care about what the ears of others are hearing just as much as their own.

And what if the general consensus of the "ears of others" was that the HD700 was bright or dark or whatever? What would they do then, after already announcing that the HD700 was coming out? Oh wait, I know! They'd release it then secretly change the sound later on, a la the HD650. They should do all this testing before they make an announcement.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,824 of 3,545
My apologies. I did not mean to judge. Hence why I even said that it's hard to gauge from photos.

I apologize for not reading all the impressions. 
Quote:

I'm glad that you can judge how something feels by a picture 
rolleyes.gif

If you had bothered to read impressions of the owners, you would find that they seem to think that the headphones are durable.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,825 of 3,545

Quote:
My apologies. I did not mean to judge. Hence why I even said that it's hard to gauge from photos.

I apologize for not reading all the impressions. 

No need to apologize.  It's a bit ridiculous if anyone expected you to read through all 122 pages of this thread for impressions.  Some people just like to make smart-ass remarks.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #1,826 of 3,545
That graph also helps to illustrate sucked-out upper-midrange. So pick your poison.

Fair enough. Just to be clear, I wasn't posting the graph either to denigrate the 325, or pump up the HD800. I was simply showing it to help provide a visual illustration of "peaky" for those who didn't fully understand the concept. I chose the 325 because (1) its graph is pretty peaky, and (2) that was a headphone already mentioned in this thread as being such; I chose the HD800 because right now we don't have access to graphs of the HD700, and the HD800 is likely the closest thing to it. It wasn't my intention to make a value judgment either way.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #1,827 of 3,545

Quote:
We've all pretty much posted our honest feedback somewhere in this thread, though it got buried pretty quickly. Basically we all said some variation of:

Sounds pretty good, like the comfort, could be cheaper in price, could still be smoother, like the balance of bass to treble, easier to drive than HD800, plastic construction will probably be perceived as cheap by some users.... I think that's the general feedback we gave. Some of us really liked them a lot, some just thought they were pretty good but not great. Pretty much what you would expect from a diverse group of users.

Nobody seemed to hate them though, or at least they weren't honest about it if they did. But the group was comprised of individuals who I have no doubt would be willing to say directly to Sennheiser - "These are not as good as the competition". I don't recall anyone saying that, and I think the general consensus was that they compete with the LCD-2, HE-500, and other similar class headphones, though each has its own strengths and thus will attract fans. 

you know its always great to see someone keeping themselves with the forum. - thank you for that project86

And honestly i'm not really a huge fan of the plastic construction even if its sandwiched together with many different materials to stop *vibrations*. Too bad it'd be too late to bother to change the entire design again to satisfy everyones needs.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #1,828 of 3,545
Feb 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #1,829 of 3,545
Yes, I brought up both the 325 and HD800. I wanted to know what peaky was and mentioned the 325 fatigued my ear and wanted to know how the HD 800 compared in that regard (and possibly the HD 700).

So I appreciate you posting that graph.

Fair enough. Just to be clear, I wasn't posting the graph either to denigrate the 325, or pump up the HD800. I was simply showing it to help provide a visual illustration of "peaky" for those who didn't fully understand the concept. I chose the 325 because (1) its graph is pretty peaky, and (2) that was a headphone already mentioned in this thread as being such; I chose the HD800 because right now we don't have access to graphs of the HD700, and the HD800 is likely the closest thing to it. It wasn't my intention to make a value judgment either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back