Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Feb 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,801 of 3,545
Thanks for all the replies and info. I love that Head-Fi can be so kind to a noob/casual audiophile. :)

Maybe I should just hold off until I can try out the HD-700s myself. If the 325i drove me nuts because of it being peaky, the HD-700 might yield a similar result. I guess since Amazon is selling these, I could order through there and try them out for 3 weeks. Return them if they do irritate my ears. 

I guess I should be happy with my LCDs. First time in a while I've found a headphone I'm really happy with. I'm jut a bit irked that the wood started cracking on them. Apart of me is worried in investing so much money into a headphone, that has build problems. And since they are a small company, I'm kind of wondering if it's a smart idea to put that much money into a headphone that might not last the 3 year warranty.

Which is why I'm kind of seeking out an alternative headphone from a bigger company. I was actually planning on keeping my LCDs btw, just wanted something to compliment it as well years down the line. And well, I've always been interested in the HD-800s. Only reason I was seriously considering the 700's over them, is they are easier to drive. But it seems like they might be a downgrade in some major areas (such as them being more peak than the HD-800s). 
Quote:
The SR325 is the very definition of peaky, so I think you have a pretty good idea about what it means already. 
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,803 of 3,545
Yikes.  That is the definition of peaky.  My ears hurt just looking at that graph.
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #1,804 of 3,545
Feb 18, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #1,807 of 3,545
I have the 700s on order...they'll sit well next to my hd800s.  I'll check back.  I have never fallen out of love with my hd800s and...well....I just had to bite....easier to drive...so.

I'll let you all know.

Never put too much faith in the FR charts...my ears and my brain are what counts.

peace out audiophiles!

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #1,808 of 3,545

Quote:
I think the HD580 Jubilee edition styling was perfect.  I had a nice carbon fiber like finish with whitish grills.  It's what the HD600 should've looked like in my opinion.-

The HD 580 Jubilee was a certified limited edition of 4,000 - so when they sold out very quickly Sennheiser could not make any more legally.

So they changed the paint job and called the second run the HD 600 - so there was no way it could have the same paint job as the jubilee.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,809 of 3,545

Quote:

The HD 580 Jubilee was a certified limited edition of 4,000 - so when they sold out very quickly Sennheiser could not make any more legally.

So they changed the paint job and called the second run the HD 600 - so there was no way it could have the same paint job as the jubilee.

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the info.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,812 of 3,545
I was considering pre-ordering. It being easier to drive than the HD-800 was a big appeal.. But then I've read first impressions that have said it's very peaky, so my hype for it has been somewhat deflated. If it's not as good as the HD-800, and it's peaky, then I have to consider if it's worth the 1k when the 650 is much cheaper.

Not that I'm writing it off. I'm just going to wait for more reviews and try to find a place to demo them before taking the leap. Apart of me is just saying just save up and go for the 800 at this point.

now that i think about it, how many of you have decided to just pre-order these?  Or are we just hyping it out until people put on reviews before pulling a grand out of our wallets?

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #1,813 of 3,545

Quote:
I was considering pre-ordering. It being easier to drive than the HD-800 was a big appeal.. But then I've read first impressions that have said it's very peaky, so my hype for it has been somewhat deflated. If it's not as good as the HD-800, and it's peaky, then I have to consider if it's worth the 1k when the 650 is much cheaper.
Not that I'm writing it off. I'm just going to wait for more reviews and try to find a place to demo them before taking the leap. Apart of me is just saying just save up and go for the 800 at this point.

You can usually find a used HD 800 in good condition for 1000-1100 if you're comfortable buying used.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,814 of 3,545
Don't forget, the production version may not be exactly the same as the prototypes.

With all the flak there has been going about this problem at 6KHz, Senn may adjust the freq response to make them more appealing to the public....

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #1,815 of 3,545

Quote:
Don't forget, the production version may not be exactly the same as the prototypes.

With all the flak there has been going about this problem at 6KHz, Senn may adjust the freq response to make them more appealing to the public....

i wonder how often Sennheiser employees go on a thread like this to see what our expectations are. Honestly i really doubt they'll be sneaking on here and tabulate a list such as:
*Black HD700 - more attractive to viewers.
*More Bass - thump :D!
*Cheaper - street prices will drop it anyways if you think about it positively.
*Not as peaky treble like the HD800's were - more ease on the ears.
*Better overall presentation of the product. (maybe extra pair of detachable cables etc.)

--- 121 pages of good off-topicness isn't fun to go through....

what sucks for people who don't live within the U.S.A / Europe, is users outside of those areas have to wait even longer =(
  - at least if those people, like myself, who wants to pay within the same currency exchange without pay pal ripping me off by 3-7 cents per CAD dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back