Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 15, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #751 of 3,545

Quote:
These better be made in Deutschland!  I hate seeing all these German brands outsourcing recently (AKG in there too Austria not excluded!).  I know the 800s are but other than that they're all made elsewhere now, 598 and down are China, 600/650 are Ireland.  I have the 598s and they're still of good quality, but I'd much rather know that quality electronics are made in house by their respective companies. 

on this note i would like to that my six year old 9800GTS+(Videocard) that is still kicking is made in china. I feel like the place it's made has little effect on a product as long as the company MAKING it does not show fault.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #753 of 3,545
I'm going balanced with my apple ibuds.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #754 of 3,545

Quote:
John, from what I have read on this thread it is indeed made in Eire and does not use ring driver technology but a similar driver to the 650 but that is only what I have gleaned from reading here so it may or may not be correct information!
OT, I have very fond memories of the Bristol show, one of which was hearing Sennheiser's Orpheus!

Oh you are right - "assembled in Ireland"

Interesting - it does not say it has a ring driver; though when I first heard about the 700 two years ago, my understanding was that it would have a ring driver.

There are none in the UK at the moment so I can't have a look - I will probably have to wait until the Bristol Hi-Fi Show.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #755 of 3,545

Quote:
After finding out that Sennheiser cheats (see my hd595 review) i can no longer recommend sennheiser

It's not cheating - every manufacturer does it - you have to do it to make a range of products at a reasonable price.

And what about all the car stereo manufacturers whose products are pretty-well identical with only software that activates the device, the more expensive ones have everything the cheapest very little, but the product itself are identical???

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #756 of 3,545

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up on the Bristol show. I'm tempted but out of principle the entry fee seems a bit off. I know these venues can be expensive for the exhibitors but ultimately they're there to convince you to spend money on their products. You wouldn't pay to enter a high street store.

Yes, but the exhibitors don't charge for entry - the exhibition organisers do.

They are on a nice little earner - charge the companies to exhibit and charge the punters to come in.

As the organiser is a store they also make a profit on everything sold at the show - nice
rolleyes.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #757 of 3,545

Quote:
anybody ever noticed that there is another new headphone on senn's list? the new HD25, looks nicer than the old for my opinion, i'm really curious about the sound of HD700 and new HD25 compare with others. BTW $999, i'd say WOW!

You mean the Amperior
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_mp3_expression-line_505573

It's actually a very low impedance compared to the HD 25-1 - only 18Ω as opposed to 70Ω or 600Ω for the HD 25.

Available in silver or blue.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #758 of 3,545
As a proud and happy owner of the HD800 for over two years now, I'm wodering if these might be better for me only because they may pair better with my computer set up. Still, while I'd like to hear the HD700, I'm in no rush to replace the HD800.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #759 of 3,545

Quote:

Now imagine if the 800 was designed for the IEC spec, which the impedance graph seems to suggest, who's to say it isn't the phones revealing the source to be flawed? 

This is more like it - being a recording engineer who uses the HD 800 with a Grace m902b (m903 later this year) for mastering and editing I find the HD 800 is very revealing of the source - and I am comparing the HD 800 to the real musical instrument heard with my ears, not with what I think it should sound like, or what I find "pleasant".

So my chain is microphones (Neumann KM-D series or Sennheiser MKH 8000 series) - Nagra VI recorder recorded at 24/96 - Grace m902b - HD 800.

Nothing else, no messing, just music.  The HD 800 is very clearly like the original.

They will show up all the crap that the recording engineers have done to the recording - all the compression to make it "louder" when played on the radio - look at the waveform on many modern recordings and you will see digital clipping on many of them.

In the race to make everything "louder" the music is being destroyed.

So don't blame the headphones if they just show clearly what is happening.

[/rant]

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #760 of 3,545

Quote:
It's not cheating - every manufacturer does it - you have to do it to make a range of products at a reasonable price.

And what about all the car stereo manufacturers whose products are pretty-well identical with only software that activates the device, the more expensive ones have everything the cheapest very little, but the product itself are identical???

Or the generic brands of items in the grocery store that are actually manufactured at the same plant as the premium stuff. Now all we need is a generic HD700/HD800 at half the price!
evil_smiley.gif

If it looked and sounded similar, it wouldn't bother me if it said "Simon's Sound Hut" rather than "Sennheiser" 
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #761 of 3,545
680ohm output Z. LOL way too high. Probably getting a 4db boost at 100Hz and 1db boost in the high treble because of the HD800s wacky impedance curve. That resistor is in series with the speaker output. Probably need to redo the head-out to reduce power going into the headphones and also the output impedance to something more reasonable like 150ohms. Should be an easy mod. I'll try in on Anax's unit first.

sounds reasonable, but me personally would just run the headphone directly off the speaker outputs with no resistors if output impedance is something of concern. sometimes though i can see that changing resistors instead will be more beneficial cause lot of headphones don't handle speaker outputs very nicely and the gain/volume is unbearable even with volume all the way down. i had that experience many times with more sensitive headphones. i haven't tested my sansui 5000x in longest time since i talked to the tech and said won't be finished till end of the month,so i won't know. maybe when i get mine back i'll let you know how mine performs for me if you like.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #762 of 3,545
I'm going balanced with my apple ibuds.

sounds like a genius plan. should review it also and if you review it right it will soon become FOTM here on head-fi and steal the hd700's thunder.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #763 of 3,545

Well you'd have to add a special EM field effect diffusor ring to the iBud cable to produce a reverse entropic quantum pixie particle emission. That opens it up and allows its true potential to come out, resulting in a sound rivaling HE90s. 

Hmm random thought: I wonder what would happen if you plugged ibuds into a high power amp, and turned it all the way up.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #764 of 3,545

Oh you are right - "assembled in Ireland"

Interesting - it does not say it has a ring driver; though when I first heard about the 700 two years ago, my understanding was that it would have a ring driver.

There are none in the UK at the moment so I can't have a look - I will probably have to wait until the Bristol Hi-Fi Show.

Here you go John. If you watch the video the Sennheiser agent confirms its not a rig radiator driver
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2012-sennheiser

Enjoy the Show, last time I was there I got to meet Ken ishiwata which was a treat!

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #765 of 3,545

Quote:
Reckon there's a market the HD700 can still fit in.. Most planars/orthos ( LCD2, HE-400, HE-500, HE-6) are simply just too heavy, some nearly twice the weight of the HD700's listed weight.

Come to think of it, don't we have any other companies producing planars/high-end orthos?

Agreed.   I tried the LCD2 and aside from being underwhelmed by the sound I couldn't imagine wearing them for any long period of time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back