Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #721 of 3,545
Quote:
I'm disappointed that there isn't more technology flow-down from the HD800 though.

Quote:
I hope Sennheiser tries to tweak the treble response a bit before release though.

These two statements echo my feelings re the HD700 so far. It seems like an HD650-style driver in an HD800-style housing with HD800-style tweaks.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #722 of 3,545
Hey you guys! 

I own several pairs of sennheiser including 650..I always liked the brand and i guess i still like the brand atleast the 650 part. 
As for many others in their series i can't speak
im sure even 595 for their price compaired to many other brands i that price range is a good headphone but still 
595 was a bad bargin compaired to the 555. and no matter what buying 595 was a ripoff at the price it cost when i got it...compared to the 555.
Because Sennheiser makes some good headphones in ireland does not meen their entire line is wonders. 

I liked the design of 555 better and here i was runnin around looking like a futuristic fool for nothing... greetings spock

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #723 of 3,545
For those willing to spend the time and money finding the right setup (and this does not need to be super expensive), the difference is going to be huge.
 ​
What kind of "not super expensive" are we talking about? "Super expensive" from my point of view is an amp that costs as much as your headphone. For example let's say I'm considering an HD700 vs HD800. What dac/amp price with the HD800 would you need to get that "huge" difference in performance above the HD700?
 ​
My reasoning right now is this: If I'm going to upgrade, I might as well go to the top, especially if the price difference isn't all that much. Climbing an incremental ladder of headphones and selling old ones is always the least cost effective way to go if you're intending to "some day" get the best.
 ​

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #724 of 3,545

Quote:

Up and down the volume range, the O2 had a consistent sound and was very very clean sounding. It's weaknesses are a scratchy and grainy treble (not compared to my BA but rather to a Leckerton UHS-6 or Apheared47/CHA47, which is just a paralleled CMOY.) The O2 also had a "bad solid-state glare" effect that started to hit me after about 20 minutes (with the HD800.) In other words, I would stay away from the O2 if I were using bright or treble-peaky cans. I'm sure the HD650 would have just fine - perhaps even perfect with the O2. But I digress.

Now to get back on topic, these HD800/HD700 amp "drive-ability" concerns are almost nonsense from the point-of-view of those looking for "value." The tin-can CHA47 (I stuck in OPA2111 op-amps for some added warmth) had absolutely no problems driving the HD800. If money is a concern, what folks should be striving for are a good tonal match, e.g. the Leckerton (with a OPA209) would have been fine with the HD700 or modded HD800. The CHA47 (OPA2111) would have been fine with even an unmodded HD800.

It's been a while since I've listened "first DIY project" amps, so I was rather surprised how well these drove the supposedly "hard-to-drive" HD800s.

So to summarize, the Aperhead47 should suffice for my needs if I was to obtain these headphones right? Cuz it seems a lot easier to assemble :D

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #726 of 3,545

Quote:
Like i said...feel like a cheated kid.  Atleast i admit i spend money on crap... i want others to avoid doing the same. 

555/595/650/800 whatever.... it is the honesty of sennheiser in general i question!  This a thread on Sennheiser headphones right?

What do expect to get from this? To get people talking and hit sennheiser where it hurts...their bank account.  Why? to get what u and I pay for...quality headphones. 

Lol, Chevy puts the same V8 in the Corvette they do in the Camaro and pickup trucks.  What a bunch of cheaters!!  You need to learn about design and product development, sorry.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #728 of 3,545

Quote:
Lol, Chevy puts the same V8 in the Corvette they do in the Camaro and pickup trucks.  What a bunch of cheaters!!  You need to learn about design and product development, sorry.

That's not quite the same as crippling the casing just to give yourself an excuse to sell a headphone at a higher price. Then again, that might have been necessary on their part, being how most "audiophiles" seem to think "price = quality" nowadays.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #729 of 3,545

Quote:

Neutral gear will show you the HD 800 for what is is: flawed. 

This is a bit of a misconception IMHO.  Many amps will measure flat but display certain tonal characteristics regardless of optimal output Z.  I personally find the Benchmark DAC1 a bit bright (regardless of headphones used) w/ the O2 a touch harsher in the highs w/ less refinement by comparison but very striking similar overall in character.  No surprise.  While the 800, 700, T1, etc might enhance the glare from the Benchmark or O2, they aren't creating something that isn't already there.  The Leckerton, BA, sound much better to my ears regardless of tube choice and will both measure equally flat (aka. neutral).  I assure you that a properly constructed and designed amp that many consider dark will measure equally flat to one people consider brighter.

Now imagine if the 800 was designed for the IEC spec, which the impedance graph seems to suggest, who's to say it isn't the phones revealing the source to be flawed? 

Once again it's up to the end user to figure out their setup and make the appropriate choices.  There is no universally perfect car, house or spouse for everyone.  It's weird that we expect that in audio simply because we can measure a FR.  
blink.gif
  All we can do is manage chaos, abberations and BS and do the best possible for our listening.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #730 of 3,545

Quote:
That's not quite the same as crippling the casing just to give yourself an excuse to sell a headphone at a higher price. Then again, that might have been necessary on their part, being how most "audiophiles" seem to think "price = quality" nowadays.

Does it matter if the end result isn't the same?  The 555/595 don't sound exactly the same but use the same driver.  Same for the 558/598.  The consumer chooses to buy what they choose to buy, it doesn't work the other way around.  Some of us figured this out and realized we could attain greater gains w/ less money by implementing elbow grease and a bit of DIY.  

Speaking of which, Nissan used to gimp their Sedans by dinging/kinking the exhaust of their six cylinders so they didn't put out the same numbers as their sports cars.  Not sure if they've stopped the practice.  Does it even matter? 

I agree w/ your last assessment.  Simple economics.  Charge what the market will bear and buyer beware.  The consumer controls the market but they've largely surrendered that position voluntarily long ago.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #731 of 3,545
Sorry if I missed this as this thread is quite long. How hard is the HD700 to drive? I have a few decent amps and the Violectric V200 is my most powerful amp. I'm suspecting it should be fine but of course I don't have the HD700 in front of me.

Also I'm a bit disappointed this is a lesser HD800 instead of a better HD600. If it was I would have preordered one by now but need some time to think since I do like my HE500 quite a bit and would probably choose that over the HD800 based on preferences...maybe

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #732 of 3,545

Quote:
Sorry if I missed this as this thread is quite long. How hard is the HD700 to drive? I have a few decent amps and the Violectric V200 is my most powerful amp. I'm suspecting it should be fine but of course I don't have the HD700 in front of me.

Also I'm a bit disappointed this is a lesser HD800 instead of a better HD600. If it was I would have preordered one by now but need some time to think since I do like my HE500 quite a bit and would probably choose that over the HD800 based on preferences...maybe

You would be more than fine for power rawrster.  Don't even sweat it if you want to try them.  

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #733 of 3,545
anybody ever noticed that there is another new headphone on senn's list? the new HD25, looks nicer than the old for my opinion, i'm really curious about the sound of HD700 and new HD25 compare with others. BTW $999, i'd say WOW!

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #734 of 3,545
There was some talk earlier in the thread about "Made In" vs. "Assembled In."  I believe someone stated that, legally, they are the same.  That is incorrect, at least in the US.  For anyone interested, more than you'd ever want to know about "Made in the USA" claims can be found here: http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus03-complying-made-usa-standard

The FTC has brought several enforcement actions over the years, but this is loosely policed, at best.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #735 of 3,545
I'm still hoping they release a HD750....as the name says, a improved HD650 with the same tonality and basic signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back