Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 20, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #961 of 3,545

Quote:
I, for one, hope nobody copies it, or if they do, it ends up sounding better. The Tesla line to me sounds like a mess, trying to be great at many things and ending up average everywhere. The T1 in particular sounds like it's confused as to it's identity.

Sounds like you and I heard the same pair.  Refined and coherent would be terms I would not use from what I sampled.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #962 of 3,545
Sennheiser = a group of people working in a specific line of production. They create headphones. People buy the headphones if they want to. They are not forced to buy them. Sennheiser does not hold a gun to the head of Head-fi to sell their products by force. No private corporation forces the consumers to buy their products, so how can they be evil? Its all up to the consumer. The consumer is the one who decide which company live or die. Taxes on the other hand are forced on people, but I dont hear headfiers complain about that.

50% of this discussion is about feelings, nothing else. Feelings based on extremly weak logic. Either you buy the Senn HD 700 and in that way support Sennheiser, or you dont! Its all up to you if you want to buy their product - and if that is true - how can Sennheiser either be releasing a "money grabber", or a "fraud" or bad product, when the very life of Sennheiser hinges on the creation of products that satisfies the consumer. If Sennheiser doesnt release products that can compete they go the way of Pan-Am, Kodak, Enron, etc.

What this thread reflects is a total misunderstanding of how capitalism and the world works! A corporation can ONLY grow and will ONLY have big profits, IF the company creates products that the consumer wants and value and buys with their free will.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #964 of 3,545

Quote:
I think I disagree with every single word you just wrote.  amazing

You think that Sennheiser is holding a gun to peoples' heads to make them buy headphones???

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #965 of 3,545
ok everything else.  Especially the bullcrap about taxes. 
blink.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #968 of 3,545

Quote:
I suspect the reason we don't see Head-fiers complain about taxes is because this is a headphone forum.  Just a thought.

Yeah, I go to Tax-fi for my tax woes.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #970 of 3,545
You American dudes should thank your lucky stars and stripes that you're not subjected to the punitive tax regime that we have in the UK. 

A MINIMUM of 40% tax (basic rate plus National Insurance) on earned income and 20% Value Added Tax on purchases. Plus if we import anything over the value of £15 or $23 then we get clobbered with all kinds of taxes and admin fees. 

Stop whining and enjoy the music! 

P.S. You must consider that Germany is propping up the European Union with fiscal support and this is bound to impact upon corporation tax. So buying the HD700 helps Sennheiser meet it's tax liabilities and indirectly the rest of Europe.

FEEL GOOD AND BUY SENNHEISER FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR FOREFATHERS! 

wink_face.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #972 of 3,545
I don't think anyone here is accusing Sennheiser of being evil per se. There's been more than a little speculation that the HD700 overpromises in some way by riffing on the styling of the HD800 but using a purportedly inferior driver. Personally, I find the whole thing somewhat distasteful, since the vast majority of the folks participating in this speculative discussion and blasting Sennheiser for greed haven't heard the headphone in question.

And while I'm at it, "capitalism" is fiction originally formed in the mind of an imaginative English teacher fantasizing about an ideal world order that he knew could never actually happen. We just sort of took it and ran with it -- sort of like Dianetics.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #973 of 3,545

Quote:
And while I'm at it, "capitalism" is fiction originally formed in the mind of an imaginative English teacher fantasizing about an ideal world order that he knew could never actually happen. We just sort of took it and ran with it -- sort of like Dianetics.

I'm not sure that's true...

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #974 of 3,545
I think most of the dislike towards Sennheiser is because they're acting with regard to supply and demand to maximize profits. Corporations tend to be morally neutral or amoral IMO, and that can come across as "evil" because evil is very much similar to indifference to human interaction or emotion.

In particular, consider living in the desert with an infinite water supply. You're the only one with the water supply, so taking supply & demand into account, you sell it for $10,000 per 16oz bottle. From the business perspective, this may be a very good decision since not many people are wandering around in the desert to begin with. I don't know anything about formal economics etc. but I think it's pretty easy to see intuitively why there's a tradeoff here between "playing nice" and "making money". Big companies don't play nice and they probably never will.

The thing is if you sold your water bottles for a good price in the example above, you may see less overall profit for a while, but begin a shift of the face of industry and economy itself (in the case of water you might even enable new towns etc. to be settled in the area where it would otherwise be impossible, thus leading to a massive increase in customers and resulting profits).

In the case of headphones, well... who knows what would happen if someone like Sennheiser chose to sell an HD700-like headphone for a really cheap price. I like to think optimistically and imagine that they'd gain massive popularity and adoration from the audiophile community, the mainstream, and as a result make bucketloads more money too. But I don't know anything about economics.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #975 of 3,545

Quote:
In the case of headphones, well... who knows what would happen if someone like Sennheiser chose to sell an HD700-like headphone for a really cheap price. I like to think optimistically and imagine that they'd gain massive popularity and adoration from the audiophile community, the mainstream, and as a result make bucketloads more money too. But I don't know anything about economics.

Sennheiser is already massively popular in both the audiophile and average consumer markets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back